Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Took the ST up Hwy 1 and noticed that it was awful to the point of dangerous when hit by a side wind.
Is this normal? I have owned many types of bikes and never had this happen. Is it the side bags? Never had a bike with luggage before.
Tires steering suspension are all fine.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Try running in a lower gear(or 2) to keep your rpm's up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What are you comparing it to?
Had lots of bikes and found (admittedly RS) to be one of the best, Yam XJ900 worst, but even similar faired old VFR was no problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How strong of a wind were you in? A 45mph gusting cross wind can be exciting in most bikes. My goldwing was susceptible not withstanding it's weight. Do you wear a loose fitting jacket or pants? They could ruffle up and turn into a mini sail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a VFR no problem in the wind. Traded bikes on the ride, same wind would not effect a Harley or a VFR.
With my gut ALL my clothes fit tight!
Wind was 30mph but even in lesser winds it moves enough for me to notice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have a VFR no problem in the wind. Traded bikes on the ride, same wind would not effect a Harley or a VFR.
With my gut ALL my clothes fit tight!
Wind was 30mph but even in lesser winds it moves enough for me to notice.
Struff, Eckt! you sure your bikes alignment is ok normally? otherwise got no answers or suggestions for that. But I mean is enough to worry or is it just a notice thing?
Best of luck

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've noticed that my bike gets pushed around a bit in a stuff cross wind, or sometimes when passing large vehicles like semis. Not comfortable, for sure, but Kawasaki Voyager and my older Yamaha XJ did the same thing. I actually feel like the Sprint handles it better. Of course, I have a 250 lb profile, which tends to catch a lot of wind regardless...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
18 Posts
My second highway speed trip I ever took on a motorcycle was about a month ago to get parts put on my new Scrambler. That day had 45mph+ gusts coming out of nowhere. I was really questioning sanity/my need for a bike that day.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did a ride from Seattle area to eastern Colorado a couple years ago. Wyoming sucked once we dropped out of Yellowstone and the 30 MPH crosswind was the reason. Had to keep the bike tilted into the wind and that really bothered my back after a while. Just made more frequent stops and took motrin. I had givi 41 litre hard bags so I'm sure that added more surface area to catch that crosswind. Overpasses and large vehicles really required my total attention or I might have steered or gotten blown off the road. Wife barely noticed it on her street triple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
My 02 Sprint gets blown around in the wind more than any bike I've ridden, on windy days I leave it home and take a different bike.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
My 2011 Sprint GT with side bags and topcase on does fine in wind - better than any other bike I've ridden.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
My 02 Sprint gets blown around in the wind more than any bike I've ridden, on windy days I leave it home and take a different bike.
I have a 02 sprint if you think they are bad in the wind you should try a ZZR1100 they make life rally interesting got moved across two lanes in France once on a bridge thought I was going over the edge . The sprint is much much better but all bikes will suffer in the wind with sudden gusts the worst problem the more you ride the better you get.
Cheers Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an 01 Sprint and it was fairly windy last Saturday when I did a 600klm ride and did not notice anything extrordinary whilst riding, it was no worse than any other bike I have owned.
I agree with PaulM you learn to get used to it and make adjustments as you ride.
A cross wind will have an effect on any bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to say that my 2001 Sprint ST is more unstable in cross winds and around trucks than my 97 VFR750 ever was. Not terribly so, just enough to be annoying.

·
Premium Member
24,360 Posts
Any bike with a full fairing is susceptible to side on wind gusts ie. when riding through a cutting with gusts at 90 degrees to the bike. :faceplant

majordomo490 I certainly don't know where "Amador" is or Hiway 1. :headscratch

cheers
Dave
:hmmmmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Blown Away

I have an 01 ST and as its my first fully faired bike its hard to compare. I do notice the cross wind on gusty days and also a little instability when following big 4wd's or Pantech style trucks.

Its not what I consider dangerous just something to be aware of. Sprints for their size are relatively light weight and the fairings give fairly good coverage for an ST style bike so perhaps its entirely normal.

I have had a few ST owners make that observation so pehaps its more common than say the VFR's that people have mentioned.

Just crank up that triple and enjoy the soundtrack!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hit a crosswind so bad in a valley in NSW australia that i was hanging substantially off the left of the bike on a right hander.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any bike with a full fairing is susceptible to side on wind gusts ie. when riding through a cutting with gusts at 90 degrees to the bike. :faceplant

majordomo490 I certainly don't know where "Amador" is or Hiway 1. :headscratch

cheers
Dave
:hmmmmm
Both in California USA!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts