Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, here's to a good weekend, but before we get started I have a question.

I have the quick release windscreen on my bike. It's great at making the wind go around me...HOWEVER...it's ugly as sin.

Has anyone tried the Dart Fly Screens? If so, does it help out just as well as the big wind screen?

Also, what about the light cowl you can get from Triumph...does that help out at all? That looks pretty cool, I've always thought about it.

Let me know folks, thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dart

I have the dart on my storm and it does take the pressure off my chest, I am pleased with it but it is not a substitute for the big screens it just looks loads better :)imho

·
Registered
267 Posts
40. I have the switchblade now having had the dart. It works to deflect wind from you chest but for me just deflected at my mouth. An inch taller or shorter and would not have changed.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here's another option that might fit the bill for you. It's a National Cycle Switchblade Deflector...slightly bigger than the dartscreen but still small and aesthetically unobtrusive -- and, like the Triumph, it's quick release (and the hardware also accepts National Cycle's bigger Switchblade shields if you want something larger later on). It takes all the pressure off my chest, and has the wind starting to hit my helmet about eye level (I'm 6'1", 34" inseam), so mostly up and over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have both the tall touring windscreen and the short summer windscreen. I agree, the tall one is ugly as hell, but is awesome in the rain - but that's the only time I'll use it. The shorty looks nice and does a decent job on the wind deflection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I understand those little windshields look cool if you want to gather with your mates at the local coffee shop a couple of cliks away from home. However, If you want to take a serious ride, the tall one or middle one with a LIP are the only ones that do the trick. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Mid-Size Screen

Don't forget that Triumph offers 3 screens ... the Cruiser, the Short and the Mid-Size. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have no problems with the Cruiser (it also beats getting beaten to hell by bugs at dusk and getting pelted by rain at 70 mph. For the guy that has the small and it"s not quite enough, try the mid-size - part # A9741026 - list price $420.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Dart on my Speedy and like it but I put a switchblade Deflector on the bird and i really like how it keeps the pressure off my chest and face. I can't wear my open face helmet with it comfortably but it works great with my full face.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the Dart Manta and love it. It only covers the chest like everyone says but that's all I want to stay with the cruiser style. The minimalist coverage and styling matches the Storm better than anything out there. If I ever wanted head and below coverage I would need something larger. 1 big vote for the Dart Manta!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have the Dart Manta and love it. It only covers the chest like everyone says but that's all I want to stay with the cruiser style. The minimalist coverage and styling matches the Storm better than anything out there. If I ever wanted head and below coverage I would need something larger. 1 big vote for the Dart Manta!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
+1 on the Dart Manta.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
128 Posts
With the triumph options, which is the best for a 6ft rider and pillion? I am more interested in comfort but am not locked in on how it looks height wise. It is winter here in Aus now and a screen would improve comfort on long and fast rides. The info provided by Triumph on their suitability/spec is "extremely minimalist" which doesn't help me make a choice and I sure can't afford one of each to work it out!
I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Here's another option that might fit the bill for you. It's a National Cycle Switchblade Deflector...slightly bigger than the dartscreen but still small and aesthetically unobtrusive -- and, like the Triumph, it's quick release (and the hardware also accepts National Cycle's bigger Switchblade shields if you want something larger later on). It takes all the pressure off my chest, and has the wind starting to hit my helmet about eye level (I'm 6'1", 34" inseam), so mostly up and over.

Hello. I'm considering the Switchblade also. Mostly because it's a quick release. How does the screen look when it's removed? Does the mounted hardware look "out of place"? or is it low profile and not very noticeable? Cheers...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hello. I'm considering the Switchblade also. Mostly because it's a quick release. How does the screen look when it's removed? Does the mounted hardware look "out of place"? or is it low profile and not very noticeable? Cheers...
It's not very noticable at all; that's one of the (many) things I like about the setup I have. It just blends into the bike form's chrome when the shield's off. I don't have a shot of it, but here's one I found on-line that gives a fairly good idea of what it looks like:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here's another option that might fit the bill for you.
This looks really nice. It's similar to the WindVest, a smaller screen that's supposedly specially designed to do what larger screens do. It didn't work with the Rocket, but the aerodynamics on that bike are atrocious because of the huge radiator.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This looks really nice. It's similar to the WindVest, a smaller screen that's supposedly specially designed to do what larger screens do. It didn't work with the Rocket, but the aerodynamics on that bike are atrocious because of the huge radiator.
I looked at the Windvest before opting for the Deflector, but didn't care for the aesthetics of it (straight bottom edge, set up very high).

I have mine set up a bit high as well, but that's out of personal preference, not by shield design. I'm 6'1", so need that shield where it is just to get the wind to hit around eye-level. If you look at the last shot (the one that's staight-on from the front), you can see from the straps on the fork that it's set high pretty high, though can still go up a half-inch more if one would want. However, it can also be set much lower...as you can see, those straps can be slid down a couple inches.

The angle of the shield is also easily adjustable.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
It's not very noticable at all; that's one of the (many) things I like about the setup I have. It just blends into the bike form's chrome when the shield's off. I don't have a shot of it, but here's one I found on-line that gives a fairly good idea of what it looks like:

Awesome. Thanks for that photo. I just traded my Speedy in yesterday and got a brand new 2012 T-bird. Loooove this bike. I bought it at a dealer that was much further away this time.. so I had a 70 mile drive - all highway. I really wanna get a screen this time around.. but definitely want a quick release. I've just read too many poor reviews about the Triumph screens. I was considering a Dart Flyscreen.. but this Switchblade looks pretty nice. I especially like that you can get a tinted screen. I might give it a try...

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts