Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not with the same engine. The current 1050 engine has too long stroke and would not rev enough to make the 180hp at the crank to be competitive with the japs. 1000cc shorter stroke triple would make something like 160hp+ at the crank and please enthusiasts but not win tests which would hurt the sales big time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2007-01-23 13:14, HarriS wrote:
Not with the same engine. The current 1050 engine has too long stroke and would not rev enough to make the 180hp at the crank to be competitive with the japs. 1000cc shorter stroke triple would make something like 160hp+ at the crank and please enthusiasts but not win tests which would hurt the sales big time.
+1 on the stroke....

I think a 160 hp machine would still get good sales.... I would like to see a Daytona, but it will definately have a different motor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You've got to believe that a new motor is in the works, as the current design has pretty much reached the end of its development potential. A short-stroke 1100 triple capable of a 12k redline (89x59 or thereabouts) might be just the ticket...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would rather see a 675 speed triple, A light weight, High rev screamer. :drool:

·
Banned
798 Posts
Hairball,

Would you rather have a 675 speed triple than your 1050?? If so, I'm curious why.

I personally find that combination to be backwards from my tastes. Why would you want half the torque of the 1050 and be required to keep revs real high to get even that much? To me, most of the fun of the 1050 S3 is the bucket-'o-on-demand-torque.

Just my 2 cents worth.

kjazz

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It's gonna be one or the other - baby Triple or biggie Daytona.

Whatever it was, it's been runnin' aroun' Spain lately, but all we got is a crappy video to go by.

I think the advantage of a 675 Triple would be the weight savings - they can tune it for more low-end power. About the only thing I don't like about the S3 is the weight (said the guy who rides around on a 550-something-pound BMW most of the time).

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would put my money on the 675 Triple over a Daytona with a new motor. Triumph just got this 1050 and 675 out the door here and I would guess a brand new motor is a year or two away yet. I could be wrong but Triumph does not quite have the same cash flow as Honda or Suzuki yet so I would think they will get their moneies worth out of these two power plants for a bit.

As for a 675 Triple, I'll keep my 1050 but a 675 would be a great beginner's bike I would bet and could open a whole new market of buyers for them.

My 2 cents :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
In order for me to buy a 'big daytona' at this point, it is going to have to have several things;

-power to weight ratio comparable to the Ducati 1098

-looks and character comparable to the Ducati 1098 (single-sided swingarm and beautiful lines)

-excellent fitment

-competitive price to the 1098

-raving reviews in the magazines about handling and comfort

I'd rather spend the extra money on a Ducati for the added parts availability and tuning support off the bat than spring for a brand new Daytona and have to wait 5 years for the aftermarket to catch up. The 675 has been out going on 2 years and the performance parts catalog is still small compared to the japanese and italians...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I hope not!

I hope they make a Daytona 1200 triple with at least 150rwhp and 90lbs torque. With the looks of the 675 and the S3 swingarm, light agile quick sexy high reving and very fast. Priced to sell of course.

The 675 naked Speed Triple will probably be out first. Along with a bigger twin.

I would also like to see the new 1050 Triple with more power, torque, better brakes and suspension and a little higher redline.

Ton Up! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
700 Posts
The naked 675 is the biggest mistake Triumph can make. They tried it before and it failed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In the Tiger article they claimed that the resources were diverted from a Busa "style" project that was cancelled, but......was it really cancelled :wink: ?

More than likely it's probably a naked 675....They already have the motor, why not put it into an S3 style frame.

We could call it a baby S3...kind of reminds me of a bike Scrappy Doo would ride.... :razz:

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
On 2007-01-23 15:57, kwajazz wrote:
Hairball,

Would you rather have a 675 speed triple than your 1050?? If so, I'm curious why.

I personally find that combination to be backwards from my tastes. Why would you want half the torque of the 1050 and be required to keep revs real high to get even that much? To me, most of the fun of the 1050 S3 is the bucket-'o-on-demand-torque.

Just my 2 cents worth.

kjazz
I own a daytona 675 AND an S3. The 675 with a standard pipe is faster than my S3 which has TOR cans + tune on it. It also has great torque although not quite as much as the S3. It`ll also pull second gear wheelies once you get the hang of it. If they make a 675 speed triple it`s going to be very hard justifying continuing to make the 1050. The speed four didn`t catch on because it was ugly and had fuelling issues. It was a stripped down TT600, a bike which also didn`t catch on.

The 675 is sensational, although I must admit, I tend to ride the S3 more than the 675. It makes me smile more!

·
Banned
798 Posts
Welshrob,

Do you like doing donuts in the street???!!! Cause you just did one on the last post!!!! Starting out in one direction and circle back around. I wasnt sure if you disagreed with me or what!!

The torque figures that are published are pretty far apart for these two bikes. Doesn't the 675 make around 53 ft-lbs and the S3 more than 80??

Whatever, you're the perfect guy to comment on the comparison of a 675 and S3. I dont know of any other D675 owners who also own an S3. Lucky you. Your last statement above said what I was trying to say. Not taking anything away from the little sporty bike, but S3 = more fun.

Best,
kjazz

·
Banned
798 Posts
ps.

Is there any relevance to comparing Torque to weight, like is often done with power (HP) to weight??

Because the D675 has got to weigh a ton less than an S3. Which may make it's 53 ft-lbs of torque seem like a lot more.

kjazz

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On 2007-01-24 16:48, kwajazz wrote:
Is there any relevance to comparing Torque to weight, like is often done with power (HP) to weight??
Yes, torque:weight ratios are actually more accurate for comparing acceleration rates than power:weight. But you also nee to compare gearing (a torque multiple).

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I think a 675 naked would be hard to compete with on a 1050 S3. The 675 is stupid-light, has great power in every gear (regeared that thing would be nuts!), and just sounds like pure evil from the airbox. The light weight advantage alone would give the 1050 an asskicking in the twisties. In a straight line... the 1050 would win, but the 675 is no slouch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts