Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering head bearings are shot on my 09 Mag Wheel Bonnie at 19,500 miles. I cannot keep the bearings adjusted (with the proper 'special' tools" I'm going to replace the stock bearings with the All Balls Tapered Steering Head bearings. I think the problem is that I do a lot of commuting, and some of the roads that I simply can't avoid are terrible. And after a week or two post-adjustment, the clunking starts again and the play in the the front forks comes back. I am suspecting this has something to do with the bearings wearing simply being worn out, though upon examination they don't appear to be.

While I am changing the bearings I figured I might as well upgrade the front suspension with progressive springs. I've searched and read through the forum on this topic and I think it might be the way to go for me. I'm not looking to race, I just want a better ride.

If the front suspension performs better, do you think the springs with the tapered bearings will help the bearings last longer, stay in adjustment, and keep the bike from beating the sh!t out of me each day on my commute?

I don't do a lot of crazy riding, I do take a several long motorcycle camping trips and some two up trips where the bike is loaded down pretty heavily, but not over loaded. I weigh 185 lbs. (most days).

Thanks for any input or advice.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
for the conditions you describe, I'd suggest putting in Intimator valves. IMO, the main problems here is the damper rod forks inabilty to cope with harsh conditions - transmitting too much energy into the chassis, progressive springs will only be a band-aid fix.

Rear suspension stock too?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Ivar. I'll look into your suggestion. Saw the posts on the intimators. I'll read them again. I'm just hoping the tapered bearings help too.

Yes, stock shocks on the rear...but not for long. Still thinking about options there too.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
there's also a cheaper solution you might try: do a search for "blacktiger fork mod" , its simply an oil weight / height combo for the forks that seem to be more compliant over those harsh bumps.

Lots of good options for the rear, in the $2-300 range, you got Hagon, Ikon , progressive to choose from, all should give a nice improvement in comfort over stock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts