Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting my rear sets powder coated black and was wondering if it would scratch off and look like ***** before to long. Im sure it will scratch off the pegs fairly quickly but what about the rest?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The stock parts are powdercoated.
Powdercoating is plastic (TGIC, Polyeurethane, Epoxy, Hybrid, etc), and tends to hold up much better than paint.

I powdercoated my rear sets and pegs last Summer - they still look great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It will not wear off with normal use. It is also much more resistant to scratching vs. most paints. The trick is you must get a clear coat over the black. If you dont it will loose its gloss finish after a short time and look bad. By adding a clear top coat you can eliminate this. You should also spell out in detail what needs to be coated and what does not. i.e.. dont powder coat over threaded holes or mating surfaces. Once the powder coating is on it wont come off easy. It should also cost you less than $50 see black is a staple color for most places.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so then do they appy the clear coat or do you have to do it. If so where do you get the clear coat from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The shop should powder coat clear over the black if you request that. It is not paint but powder coat. One of my frames has 2 layers of silver with one clear over the top.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On 2007-02-28 12:37, GPZ1170 wrote:
The trick is you must get a clear coat over the black. If you dont it will loose its gloss finish after a short time and look bad. By adding a clear top coat you can eliminate this.
I just had my heel guards coated and am thinking about doing the rearsets too. I did it in a matte finish will this wear off considering there is no clear coat, I don't want shiney pegs :-D

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It's less costly to get more parts done in the same color/finish, at least where I go, than one part at a time, which would make sense, forget I said it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nope.
I only clear coat silver and 'chrome'.

And I regularly coat parts for boats that see LOTS of time in direct sunlight.

Some powdercoatings can oxidize faster than others - but slower than most paints. And a whole lot slower than anodizing will fade.

If you treat powdercoated parts the same as the coating on the engine, frame, and stock pegs/rearsets, you will be fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Stoving them should be alright, I had loads of stuff done over the years and find it better than paint..

Photo's not very good...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Contacted a local ironworks that does powdercoating - industrial stuff mostly. Want to have the heel guards, radiator cowls, heat shields, and the left side rear engine mt coated black like the engine.

What sort of prep should be necessary on these parts prior to coating? The guy at the shop said they've done bike parts, but mentioned sand blasting! Sounds a bit aggressive to me. Are these stock parts powder coated silver or anodized? Clear coated? :???:

Help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay - just read previous posts to this thread and saw where devi says stock parts are powder coated. So what prep should be done prior to re-coating? I assume all of the old finish needs to come off - right? Then, I understand there are several steps to etch and rince. It's that sandblasting that bothers me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sandblasting should be fine. A qualified blasting shop should have the right blasting media for the job. It always amazes me that most powder coating shops don't have a sandblasting area. I always have to take my parts to the blaster then to the coaters. The radiator guards may need to be chemically stripped in which case the powder coater should have that ability.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A friend of mine had a frame powder coated. Now it not only picks up fingerprints but chips and flakes easily. I wonder what was wrong at the application that this occurs?

Zip

·
Registered
17 Posts
The metal that was powdercoated was not clean. My guess it the metal had oil on it. I have done a lot of work with custom powdercoated product and the only trouble I ever had were drips and threaded holes that were not plugged. It will also show scratches more if it is not clear coated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven't asked price yet. Am riding over to the shop first of the week so they can have a look at the parts on the bike and the sheen/luster of the paint on the engine (which I hope to match). If they seem to know their business and can show me some of their work, I'll pull the parts off and get them in the next day.

Will let you know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts