Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I'm just about to finish pulling out the rest of my hair on the 2000 Daytona I've been putting back together for months...arrrgghhh. Bought the bike with a bad head gasket, took it all apart and got it back together but now I have oil/coolant exchange somehow??? All of you guys have been incredibly helpful in helping figure out how stuff goes back together, identifying failed parts and creative solutions to dissembly and re-assembly...so I get it all together and run it for about 5 minutes a few days back - I was happy!!! No leaks, smooth idle, sounded GREAT...

Then....I ran it for about another 5 minutes last night just to hear it rumble....then I checked the oil sight glass on the clutch cover and noticed the tiniest bit of milky white swirl on top of the oil....I was NOT HAPPY...

I'm *really* hoping that perhaps I just somehow managed to drip a tiny bit of coolant into the engine on dissembly or something but I'm kind of frazzled at this point.

I followed all the shop manuals & your collective advice when I pulled the head, cleaned it up, replaced the head gasket and torqued everything exactly on the dot....hmmmm

I've heard that the cylinder liners can become 'unsealed' if an engine sits for a while but this motor was only out of commission for a few months so I kinda don't think that's it...wondering if perhaps it could pass oil/coolant somewhere around the water pump housing?

Anybody have any 'easy' checks I could do to determine whether this is 'serviceable' or if it's a fatal failure? I was going to drain and refill oil to see if it happened again or maybe was residual from prior crankcase contamination due to old bad head gasket but kind of hate to spend $60 bucks on oil/filter again after I just installed them...HELP???? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Fixed_Ops, Sorry to say, but it is likely one or more of the cylinder liners. I know some have replaced the head gasket without resealing the cylinder liner bases to the case, but the service manual is firm that they be cleaned and resealed. If it's any help, I found a really great sealant available from International Harvester dealers.

Brad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before you strip everything down again, run the bike for a couple of hundred miles then do an oil/filter change. It's not unknown for a little moisture to find its way into the oil immediately after a rebuild.

You might have to strip it down again anyway, but if it was me I wouldn't be too hasty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts