Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's close to 6 months since I decked my Duck, & I'm still no closer to riding again. The right arm that I fractured on the steel post of the safety barrier is the main worry, though the left elbow I dislocated when I hit the road is not without it's problems either.
The arm's got a dead nerve, which got roached when the surgeons placed a big metal plate on it. It's caused the muscle at the rear of the arm to whither & die, which means I can't raise my arm above horizontal, & it gives constant pain. My new surgeon is going to take the plate out in Jan, & attempt to repair the damage.
My elbow was healing well until I re-dislocated while out skinny dipping with my GF, which was not the ending we'd planned for that outing ;). My surgeon operated on it last week, & it feels a lot firmer. So hopefully I'm going to have at least one good arm.
I haven't sold my RVF yet, as I live in hope that I may yet ride it again. But it has moved out of my garage into my lounge-room, so I can look at it & sigh longingly.
So will I ever ride again? I should know by March. But GOD I hope so!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Keep your chin up. Last year at this time I had the same thoughts as you do now, I had just had back surgery. At the time I was just hoping the day would come when I would be able to do anything, sit, stand or lay down for more than 5 minutes without having to shift position. After 5 months of therapy and doing exactly as the doctors said things started to look up. I am back on the bike, not the extreme 750+ mile days of the past, but I am riding again. As long as the doctors have hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. One work of advice though. One day when I was feeling sorry for myself a lad came by that used to work for me, he wanted to know if I wanted to sell my 01 RS. I knew I was never going to be able to ride it again so he put the cash down on the table and rode it away. Big mistake. Good luck.

H

·
0 Posts
There are thousands of stories about folk, like you, like Grumpy and like me where there was a fear we would never ride again.
Aside from following the Dr's advice and or even getting a new Dr, you can look to folks who have lost an arm and or a leg and yet ride today.

At the Dragon in 2007 at the over look was a group of 6-7 guys on crotch rockets. Old guys, young guys, vets. Amazing story as a fellow vet with out a leg couldn't give up riding. His buddies built a R1 with hand shifter and a small magnet on the foot rest for the artificial leg to attach to. Another with one arm on a GSX750 had Velcro tabs on his finger tips of an artificial arm to clasp the left handle bar.

They made a tour each year together.

The will to ride sometimes is able to become the mother of invention scratch. You could get a Piagio and put the duc engine in it.

Keep it up and just heal. You will find a way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You will ride again Scratch, I seem to remember sending you this link when you had an argument with tree in the bush!
When you feel a bit down, play this at full blast!
Good look with the recovery.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
...or you could get her to start riding and ride on the back...;):D...

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way. Cliche, but pretty damned true.

I had a really bad problem with my shoulder that kept me off the Bonnie this Summer. It got better, at least back to where it was when I was riding so next Spring…..

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I had to stop riding after an accident for about 6 years. I actually never thought I'd ride again at the time, and sold all my running bikes. I figured I better slow down as I lost an eye and had no depth perception. I got involved with Harleys, figuring I'd just be putting around. Now I'm back to riding most anything. What I'm saying is don't make any decisions too quickly, give your body time to heal.you just have to accept that , right now, you can't ride. Good luck healing your wounds and have patience.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I saw a guy riding with a wooden peg leg the other day. Yes... A wooden pirate style actual peg leg on his left leg. He had a heel toe shifter and he just jammed down on whichever one he needed.

So... If he can overcome that, you should be ok. Besides... You're Australian. "Australia, where all the men are strong and the women are too!"

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Wise words indeed. Yes I'll probably ride again, with whatever abilities I'm left with. I'll just leave it until I know exactly what that will be. I know plenty of guys who ride with lots of bits missing. So riding with a dead arm should be no problem, though I think my days of flicking a bike through the twisties may be over, which is depressing. :(
Luckily my skinny dipping days are far from over, though I'll stay away from slippery rocks from now on. Having my elbow pop out, while waist deep in a raging river, is not something I want to experience again. If Nina hadn't been there, & been so together, I don't know how I would have made it back to the car. Mind you, if Nina hadn't been there, neither would I. ;)

·
Banned
5,002 Posts
I would be more concerned about whether I would be able to skinny dip again.
Yeah. Next time make sure there's water in the pool. :rolleyes:

Keep the faith Scratch. I lost most of the use of my arm for almost three months a while back due to nerve damage. It atrophied to the point it looked like a little kids arm. I didn't know if it would ever come back. After some serious physical therapy (electro stim, ultrasound, isolated resistance movements), acupuncture and medication it came back.

As to skinny dipping, I can't make any promises :D

p.s. perhaps you'll ellaborate on the for us one day.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Scratch, you'll be back...skinny dipping, riding, everything. The array of mods available for bars, pegs, controls, seats, etc will enable you to configure a machine as needed to accommodate whatever remaining discomfort or range of motion limitations might remain. Good luck with your recovery, you're a big part of TRatnet.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
You will ride again Scratch, I seem to remember sending you this link when you had an argument with tree in the bush!
When you feel a bit down, play this at full blast!
Good look with the recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1njIckENbRA
Ummm, pretty sure that song is all about getting paralytic drunk and falling over...
Not exactly on Scratch's radar at the moment. :p

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) Hi Scratch! Sorry to hear of your mishap, but I wouldn't worry too much about riding again. I've had plates in both legs, both arms, and have an artificial shoulder joint. None of these stop me from hooning about on my 1200 Guzzi, so just be patient. These things take time! You will get better. Trust me!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I ride with one leg its a mid thigh amputation so I lost the knee which is a nuisance. I have a friend who lost his arm and still rides he has the controls on the good side.

Others here have said very wisely don't be to hasty, heal up get your strength back and don't rush getting back on your bike.

The human body is an amazing bit of kit and nerves seem to be able to take huge damage and repair themselves.

I like everyone here wish you well, get well and you can tell us about your biking adventures in the future.

I can remember laying in a hospital bed positive I would never walk again, let alone charge around on a Rocket 3 but it takes time.

Hang on in there it'll be alright but give it time:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Hang in there OS. No more Duc decking please. The skinny dipping sounds like a good alternative but do it in a hot tub maybe???

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pics or it didn't happen. Oh, and that means of Nina NOT of you of course. ;)

Wishing you the best. Heal-up, Mark H.
Pics of naked ladies is banned by the AUP. But here's one of Nina by a creek.

& another of her hanging from a tree

Fit, smart & sassy. She's a lot of woman, & I'm just very happy that she likes me. I'm not sure how long it'll last. It's already lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. So I treat every day with her as a blessing. Long may it continue!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts