Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the seemingly noob question, but to date I've always ridden "unplugged."

I just recently got Deltran's power adapter so I could run a line from my battery to my Garmin GPS unit to keep that alive while riding, and I was considering some heated gear for the winter.

Will these significantly drain my battery power and/or shorten the overall life of the battery?

I have a '10 Scrambler, and I keep it on a battery tender/trickle charger most of the time while I'm not riding it. Thanks... :)

·
30,035 Posts
Short answer is that you should be fine. But there are always caveats. These threads explain the charging system and its capacity. It all depends on exact load, and to a point, type of riding.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/109151-what-is-the-maximum-battery-can-handle.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/93781-bonnie-alternator-output-how-much-spare-capacity.html

Those were written about carbed bikes, but I believe the alternator on the EFI bikes is the same, although the battery may be a little smaller.

I have ridden my Bonnie with heated vests and gloves and a GPs unit plugged in many times. When I get back and put it on the tender, it takes very little time to come back to full charge, indicating in general terms that the battery was not being depleted while on the ride.

I am talking about 400 mile rides, too.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've put outlets on every bike I've owned in the last 5 years. Never had an issue, even before I got the battery tender.

On my R3T I've got the 'tender pigtail, powerlet plug and a Kuryaken socket, while I've never used all 3 at the same time, I'm usually running my radar detector and iPhone and no complaints from the battery. Takes minutes on the tender to fully perk up.

·
Registered
916 Posts
How much electrical power does an EFI Scrambler consume? EFI bikes need more watts just to run than carbed bikes because of the ECU, which leaves less left over for heated gear.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Lots of "Will my Bonnie run heated gear" threads lately...winter must be coming!

'09 Bonnie SE. EFI. Gerbings jacket liner, Gerbings heated gloves.

Sunday: Weather below 40 degrees....but dry. Hook up Gerbings, do a 175 mile ride. Get home, park the Bonnie. No tender.

Monday. Still dry but cold. 22 mile each way commute. Plug in Gerbings. Get to work nice and warm. Get home, park Bonnie. No tender.

Tuesday: looks a bit wet and rainy. Leave Bonnie in garage, take the RT.

Wed: Same thing, wet weather. Take the RT to work.

Thurs: Still raining, take the RT, OK, better plug Bonnie into the tender.

Fri: Cold, but clear. Take the Bonnie, she starts right up. Plug in heated gear. No problems.

Saturday: cold and clear, ride the Bonnie with a couple of friends. They don't have heated gear and are freezing their balls off. I'm warm and happy.

Monday: Back to work on the Bonnie...

Etc, etc, all winter.

There is plenty of power output on the EFI Bonnies to run heated gear. After three winters of doing this, I am still on the original battery too. When I calculated it out, even with liner and gloves, there was still enough output for other things if I wanted.

Running heated gear and a GPS should be no problem at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts