Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, hope you can answer a question that I can't seem to find any information on, namely; Can an Arrow 2 into 1 Exhaust be installed on a 2006 Scrambler w/ carbs? If so, what would be involved? I currently have the Triumph competition pipes installed, and they work great, but I really like the look and weight reduction possibilities of the Arrow exhaust. I understand these pipes were made for the new fuel-injected Triumphs, so am not sure if they will work with the carburetted models. Any and all advice & information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi everybody, hope you can answer a question that I can't seem to find any information on, namely; Can an Arrow 2 into 1 Exhaust be installed on a 2006 Scrambler w/ carbs? If so, what would be involved? I currently have the Triumph competition pipes installed, and they work great, but I really like the look and weight reduction possibilities of the Arrow exhaust. I understand these pipes were made for the new fuel-injected Triumphs, so am not sure if they will work with the carburetted models. Any and all advice & information would be greatly appreciated.
I don't see why not, I know of a guy on another forum with a 06 Scrambler & he has just fitted the Arrow 2 into 1.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I saw a set mounted on an 08 Scram on a dealer's showroom, & the 06 is functionally the same bike. The sensor bungs were capped, & that is about the only difference between the EFI & carb exhaust configurations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arrow 2 into 1 on Scrambler

Well, I finally had the Arrow 2 into 1 exhaust installed on my `06 Scrambler, with the threaded sensor bungs capped. Trouble occurred on the ride home from the bike shop when one of the sensor caps managed to work it's way loose and fell out during the ride. Of course, it was lost and I had to ride the rest of the way home with one sensor plug open, which made the bike quite loud. I called the mechanic, and he sent me a spare pair, but in the meantime the other sensor cap has worked loose it's grip. A note of explanation; the mechanic used blue loctite to secure the caps but apparently the loctite doesn't hold up to the heat generated through the exhaust pipe. So, now I've re-installed the caps, but this time using red loctite, which is suppose to be permanent, but I suspect the heat may still be an issue. I thought about securing the caps with some type of wire wrap, but otherwise don't really have any ideas about how to keep these threaded caps in place. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very open and appreciative of your ideas. Btw, the Arrow exhaust looks great on the Scrambler, and sounds very throaty, but not as harshly loud as the Tors that were on the bike originally. Thanks

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If your never going to use the caps for anything just get them tack welded wont tack but a little spot .I dont see why they would back out anyway if they are tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the idea. A tack weld would settle the problem for sure. I have been wondering myself just how a threaded bolt about a 1/2" long could back out if tightened down. I have to admit when I picked up the bike from the mechanic I didn't give a really close look at the 2 caps, and I'm wondering if he may have forgotten to tighten the one that fell out on the ride home. Perhaps he didn't even screw it all the way in, I really don't know. Before I tack weld them in place I'm giving the loctite 24 hours to cure, and then I'll take the bike out for a ride and see if they come loose again. If they do, then tack welding seems like a good solution. Thanks Mikeinva.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sounds like he just forgot to tighten them!

Do the caps have a shoulder to tighten down on or are they just plugs which would screw all the way in?

If they're shouldered then just give them a good pull down. Should be OK.
If they're just plugs then, as Mike says, a tack would be a good idea.
Or maybe you'd get away with a few centre-pop indents.

BTW.... Do you have photo's of your new pipes?
We like photo's!!

V.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm beginning to think that perhaps he did forget to tighten them, or at least the one that fell out. The caps do have shoulders and I did give them a light tightening with the wrench after putting loctite on the threads and seating them fully. I like photos too, but my camera is broken. However, a new one is on the way, and I'll post photos asap. Thanks for the input V.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I bet if you get them tight they will be fine as far as loctite on exhaust bolts I dont think it will do much good most of it lets go with heat (thats how you get bolts out with the red loctite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts