Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I thought I'd put them on both....never mind.....age....the baak ones are better...although I probably have a couple of sets of NH Western in the garage..

·
Registered
230 Posts
After 50 years of Triumphs, I’ve learned that Triumphs don’t carry resale. I have put thousands upon thousands into performance mods on Rockets, T-Bird, and Bonnevilles. It doesn’t mean squat on the market, which is pretty slim for Triumphs in general, although there are some who desire completely stock bikes, especially the classics. I strongly advise you to do everything you want to do to the bike to make yourself happy. It won’t affect your resale or change anything when you decide on a new bike.
I just bought a Tiger from someone that probably put $3000 of mods into it. I estimate the seller was able to recover approximately 15-20% of their value in the sale.

However, I bought this bike because I know the high cost in adding all those mods myself and wanted someone else to take that hit.

So in a way, it helped the sale.

·
Registered
546 Posts
However, I bought this bike because I know the high cost in adding all those mods myself and wanted someone else to take that hit.
That's what I'll be looking to do with my next bike!
I think mods might make a bike take longer to shift at a fair price, but sooner or later someone will show up who really wants those mods

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
That's what I'll be looking to do with my next bike!
I think mods might make a bike take longer to shift at a fair price, but sooner or later someone will show up who really wants those mods
It really depends on the market where you live. I had a TBird and a Rocket with thousands in mods, probably more than the market value of the base bike in both cases. Both were for sale for many months and ultimately there was only one interested buyer for each bike. That’s called a buyer’s market, not good for resale. It may be different for the sportier bikes, but Triumph cruisers aren’t hot items where I live. I hardly ever see a Rocket on the road in a city of 350,000 with one Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Modifications only add value IF they are properly installed and appeal to the person standing in front of you with CASH. The only Modifications I will entertain on a used Bike is a Windshield, Seat and Saddle Bags. Everything else comes with cause for concern and significantly reduces what I will pay for it. Custom Paint....means wrecked. Custom Turn signals or lights... means FUBAR wiring. Custom Exhaust.... means improperly tuned. Performance Tune .....means may explode at any moment. New Clutch....means abused or moron owned.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts