Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning from a 2400 mile 6-day trip, my 19/45 gearing seems a bit low. It would be a lot easier to go up one tooth in the front instead of going down 3 in the rear. Essentially, it would be easier if I didn't have to resize the chain. That would allow switching back and forth between a 19T and a 20T. Does anyone know if a 20T countershaft sprocket is do- able?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evidently, a 20T sprocket is unobtainable so I ordered a superlight 42T rear sprocket from sprocketcenter.com. So, lighter weight sprocket + shortened 520 chain = even lighter weight! Then, an 18T front can be swapped in for a bit more scoot if needed.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, the 42 Superlight steel sprocket from sprocketcenter.com arrived in 2 days and was installed last night. The chain was shortened the minimum amount (2 links). I have to say, I am quite pleased with the results. Once again, Triumph engineers did their homework. The change put a little more T in the S/T.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Looks like you're leaving the S work for the R1!

I was comparing the gearing between the Daytona & the Sprint & concluded they were pretty similar. So, for track day use I thought I'd shorten the gearing by dropping to an 18T front sprocket on the Daytona. Well it already has one! The gearbox ratios must be different so I'll have to go bigger on the back, maybe a 45.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Phil - If you need a Superlight steel 45T 520 I have one you can have for free. It's like new. However, shipping it to Down Under might cost an arm and a leg :frown2:

Yes, the R1M is the new S bike in the garage. That one is geared so high it will literally go 93.1 mph /149.8 kmh in 1st gear. The whole track where I ride (except the straight) can be run in 2 gears. It's sort of like cheating.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Thanks Bill very generous of you.
Yes the shipping would be a killer so I'll pick it up one of these days!
I'm planning on a 520 conversion for the Daytona so that works great.
How do you compare the R1 with the Duc?

p.s. looks like we're duelling on the post count!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bill very generous of you.
Yes the shipping would be a killer so I'll pick it up one of these days!
I'm planning on a 520 conversion for the Daytona so that works great.
How do you compare the R1 with the Duc?

p.s. looks like we're duelling on the post count!
2007 Ducati 1098S -vs.- 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1

Hmmm. Well they were/are both a whole lot of fun! Different eras, for sure. Zero electronic rider assists on the Duc. Leading edge MotoGP-inspired electronics on the R1M. The Duc was a looker. The R1M is a do-er. The difference in power should be about 20-25HP. Power delivery is very similar, except the Yam has an additional 3000rpm. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the R1M still scares me under full throttle even with all the assists. You need a lot of flat open road to open it up. I sold my highly modded Corvette years ago for that reason - not many places to use the power! Despite the tall gearing, gears other than first don't last very long. It literally goes over 93mph in first gear. The Yam is more comfortable at speeds below 120mph or so. Going that fast or faster on the Duc made it clear what the bike was built for. The Yam turns better, even after changing the fork geometry on the Duc. I love the way it turns. It remains to be seen with the Yam, but the Ducati was not reliable at all, ending in a $13,000 catastrophic engine failure covered by Ducati out of warranty. I feel really guilty for not buying another Duc after that! The sound of the Duc with the Termignoni race exhaust was delightful, but the noises that the Yamaha's Crossplane Crank is incredible. It's a howl much like the Duc. Brakes were stronger on the Duc, too strong perhaps. After changing pads in the Yam to EBC EPFA-HH, it's perfect (for me). The bike has Unified Braking, applying the rear for you in concert with the front. The ABS is neat for the street, but I can see why some racers don't like it. I'm still not sold on it, but it's fun exploring it's limits on open farmland roads. The R1M really makes me appreciate the Sprint. Different bikes for different types of riding.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts