Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
29,948 Posts
Triumph performance USA make plug and play wide wheel kits for the twins, they use the stock hub and replace the rims and spokes, and get you up to a 170 width rear wheel with no alterations to the swingarm.

Check them out:

www.triumphperformanceusa.com

They have a sticky in the "twins chat" forum with some pictures too.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Has anyone installed a wider rear wheel? Is there room for a wider Wheel that won't interfere with the chain and swing arm?
I'm rolling on a 4.25 excel rim with 160mm tire - and the tire and rim are about as wide as you can go with the stock rim offset specs. When you get into the really wide 5.5 rims and 180mm tires the rim must be moved away from the sprocket/chain on the right side to prevent rubbing. This then puts the wheel on a different track than the front.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wide wheel kit

I visited the British Customs booth at the L.A motorcycle show where they had a black bonnie which had been lengthened by two inches and had the wide wheel kit on it. The rep said riders of the bike complained of understeer with the 180 tire, less pronounced with the 170 and if it were his bike, he would go with the 160. I am going to have to wait until I read more feed back from fellow rats before pulling the trigger on that pricey little mod.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wide Wheel Thanks

Thanks All. I think the 160 would be a nice improvement in looks and handling. Who is the best to respool the hub? Trimuph Performance only has the 5.5 option. The 4.0-4.5 seems about right to me. Whats your thoughts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is another option. You can run a Dunlop GT501 150/70/17 on your stock rim. According to Dunlop it is ok to run this tire on a 3.5" rim. Thats what I did, it saved me a bunch of money and it looks good too. If you do go with the 160 Carlos at Triumph Performance USA can supply you with the 4.25" rim and spokes. They are not listed on their website but they have them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is another option. You can run a Dunlop GT501 150/70/17 on your stock rim. According to Dunlop it is ok to run this tire on a 3.5" rim. Thats what I did, it saved me a bunch of money and it looks good too. If you do go with the 160 Carlos at Triumph Performance USA can supply you with the 4.25" rim and spokes. They are not listed on their website but they have them.
I'll probably be giving Carlos a call in January, then. I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a set of Carrozzeria's, but I've got to hold off for now. I wonder how much the 4.25" rim and spokes would cost. I would guess I'd need to send my stock wheel and the new rim/spokes to Buchanan's and let them disassemble the old and assemble the new and ship everything back to me. Damn, by the time I did all that, it would cost probably half of what a set of Carrozzerias cost. Maybe me needs to rethink.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts