Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

·
29,947 Posts
Sometime in 08 triumph introduced a new rear hub design that makes use of straight spokes, instead of the spokes with a bend at one end. They started appearing on 08 models in the USA roughly half way through the year.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Sometime in 08 triumph introduced a new rear hub design that makes use of straight spokes, instead of the spokes with a bend at one end. They started appearing on 08 models in the USA roughly half way through the year.
Thanks propforward. It is fair to assume this '08 model year running engineering change was to address the controversial spoke breakage issue?
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think that's a reasonable assumption George.
In that case there are now two reasons to get an '09 in the states...FI and more robust wheel spokes. :)

Another question...Why would the subject of this thread be specific to '09 Bonnevilles? Wouldn't the wide rear wheel kit be applicable to all modern Bonnevilles or is there something specific to the '09 Bonny that makes it conducive to the revised rear hub config?
Thanks propforward,
George

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that case there are now two reasons to get an '09 in the states...FI and more robust wheel spokes. :)

Another question...Why would the subject of this thread be specific to '09 Bonnevilles? Wouldn't the wide rear wheel kit be applicable to all modern Bonnevilles or is there something specific to the '09 Bonny that makes it conducive to the revised rear hub config?
Thanks propforward,
George

Hello George;
Like Prop well said, the new hub has straigh spokes mounted in-out to address the spole breakage from the previous hubs.
Our wide wheel kit applies to the old now hub design and the new hub design as well. Both kits features heavy duty SS spokes, so the wide wheel kit is safe for old and new hubs.
I hope this help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went to the website TPUSA, but it only shows a side veiw, does anyone have a picture of this tire already installed on a bonnie so you can see how a tire this large looks on the bike? Its got to be awesome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went to the website TPUSA, but it only shows a side veiw, does anyone have a picture of this tire already installed on a bonnie so you can see how a tire this large looks on the bike? Its got to be awesome.

Here is 2 pics one 3/4 rear view and the other rear view, first one with the wide wheel kit, second with our Carrozeria forged rim:

·
29,947 Posts
Sweet! Do those wheels work with the stock swingarm? Looks like it - are there any other changes you have to make?

I love those powdercoated engine casings! I see you offer those as a turnaround service, I may have to think about that next year!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet! Do those wheels work with the stock swingarm? Looks like it - are there any other changes you have to make?

I love those powdercoated engine casings! I see you offer those as a turnaround service, I may have to think about that next year!

Yes they work with the stock swing arm.
No changes to be made, plug and play.
Thanks for your inquiry!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Will a 180/17 tire mounted on your 5.5" wide wheel clear a stock T100 full length fender?
If you have a photo of that I'd love to see it.
Thanks in advance. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will a 180/17 tire mounted on your 5.5" wide wheel clear a stock T100 full length fender?
If you have a photo of that I'd love to see it.
Thanks in advance. ;)
You can use a 180 with a short fender.
170 is the size we recommend for either fender configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
You can use a 180 with a short fender.
170 is the size we recommend for either fender configuration.
Be careful! I have the 170/Wide Wheel Kit on my 2008 Bonnie Black and the fender edge rubs on the left side of the tire surface when the suspension compresses. Can't adjust the fender to the side either, as it's in rubber mounts. Note that I am running the minus-one-inch Progressives, though.

Dealer says it's "something to keep an eye on". I 'm thinking there must be a way to center the wheel better on the bike. With pre-load set at it's highest it's not too bad but it's definitely a situation where every time I think about it I get a sick feeling.
Anyway, you probably don't have the shorter shocks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Be careful! I have the 170/Wide Wheel Kit on my 2008 Bonnie Black and the fender edge rubs on the left side of the tire surface when the suspension compresses. Can't adjust the fender to the side either, as it's in rubber mounts. Note that I am running the minus-one-inch Progressives, though.

Dealer says it's "something to keep an eye on". I 'm thinking there must be a way to center the wheel better on the bike. With pre-load set at it's highest it's not too bad but it's definitely a situation where every time I think about it I get a sick feeling.
Thanks for the tip!!!
I am also running -1" Progressive shocks as well.
Ground clearance isn't a problem with the shorter shocks and I feel they make the bike look much better, especially with a larger than stock rear tire (I currently have a 150).
Not much point in installing a wider rear rim if I can't fit a larger tire without eliminating the fender...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for the tip!!!
I am also running -1" Progressive shocks as well.
Ground clearance isn't a problem with the shorter shocks and I feel they make the bike look much better, especially with a larger than stock rear tire (I currently have a 150).
Not much point in installing a wider rear rim if I can't fit a larger tire without eliminating the fender...

Bikes with shorter shocks requires a wide wheel fender kit.
Stock fenders applies to standard length or taller shocks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Shame I'm in the UK

I really like the wheel widening kit but at $795.00 with shipping both ways and import duty and sales tax, it's out of my league.
Any plans to export it to the UK through a wheel builders like Alf Hagon?

He's a good bloke to deal with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts