Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 500 engine with open pipes and twin carbs wouldn’t be my first choice to power a laid back rigid cruiser. What was the designer thinking? Hardly surprising that it was kept in a private collection (a shed?) once completed, 5 miles on the road would’ve been enough to convince me that I’d built a large paperweight. The good news is that it’s a numbers matching bike, the engine number matches what’s left of the frame.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Because they wanted to? I quite like it! (Apart from the sissy bar)
A 500 is fine for a single seater bobber. I have seen loads of rather optimistic 5ta cafe racers- most of which had twin seats.
It's a bolt on hard tail so easy to undo.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For those in the UK, I'd set Joe Marler on them. He's got a bit of spare time now with 10 weeks off. Apologies to those over the pond as this won't mean much. The Antipodeans will know though!

(If you're keen to know then Google: Joe Marler and Alun Wyn Jones Six Nations Rugby 😊 )

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never understood the mentality of people that they have to put down anyone who builds a bike they don't like. If that's what the guy that built it likes, then there is nothing wrong with that. At least he is building something and riding. I actually quite like it. Not usually my style but it is nice and simple. Not overly gaudy. Also, there is nothing wrong with the 500 engine. I have a 1967 Daytona and it runs quite well and is plenty fast enough to get in trouble with.

Rob

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never understood the mentality of people that they have to put down anyone who builds a bike they don't like.
I wasn't putting anyone down, it looks well built, just questioning the wisdom of using a revvy engine, loud pipes and twin carbs on something which is supposed to be a relaxed cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
12,582 Posts
...just questioning the wisdom of using a revvy engine, loud pipes and twin carbs on something which is supposed to be a relaxed cruiser.
Because it sounds cool!

Really, that's probably the only reason, apart from the assumption that it was built from stuff he already had...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Who said it was supposed to be a relaxed cruiser? I agree with GrandPaulZ....Because it would probably sound cool and it is different. Same reason some people build choppers out of CB750 engines. Just because it's a chopper, does not mean it can't be fast!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why would you show off the frame like that and paint it a light color, without moulding out the frame. I would have either covered the welds or just painted it black to hide the flaws. Nice job on the electrics though, they're disappeared. I would have gone disk on the front and stayed away from a lot of the chopper clichés, but can appreciate a custom as much as a replica stocker.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
There used to be lots of 500 Triumph engined choppers and bobbers around due to the bike being cheaper to begin with and non Triumph people don’t know what size the engine is, it’s just a nice looking engine that sounds good. At one time old 500 Triumphs were fairly cheap as a basis for a chopper, and some people just like Triumphs, you know ?

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I have a 3ta in the shed and it's a bitsa. Over time I will make it into a bobber and take it to a 5TA . It came with a load of spares and I have another engine. Certainly a 500 bobber is fun and suited to lanes and country roads

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was helping a neighbor trying to get his harley to run last weekend. In his garage sat a similar Triumph 650 chopper, nicely done in a hardtail style. He doesn't ride it because it isn't fun to ride. Hardtailing a perfectly good motorcycle is stupid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A 500 engine with open pipes and twin carbs wouldn’t be my first choice to power a laid back rigid cruiser. What was the designer thinking? Hardly surprising that it was kept in a private collection (a shed?) once completed, 5 miles on the road would’ve been enough to convince me that I’d built a large paperweight. The good news is that it’s a numbers matching bike, the engine number matches what’s left of the frame.

I wonder why he's selling it? Looks like he put a lot into it. I agree, not my style. I'm sure that someone out there will jump on this.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder why he's selling it?
My suspicion is that it's pretty much unrideable for any length of time. I’m struggling with remedial work on my standard T100R so fully appreciate and admire the skill that goes into these custom bikes, I’m not a big fan but really wish I had the ability to do stuff like this. If I did the creation would have to be rideable, this bike has the standard footpeg position, a low seat with high and wide handlebars. It will crucify your hips before you even try to contort your ankles into gear and rear brake lever usage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts