Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! My name is Dário, this is the second time I post here in the forum. I live on Florida (MBA at University of Miami) and I was looking for a powerful, comfortable, reliable motorcycle to enjoy the great (and mostly straights) road of this State! I found a nice Triumph Thunderbird '96 for $2200 last week. I was so excited about having a english motorcycle! But, when I got at the dealer (check in hands), the bike had already been sold! I was so disappointed.

But the idea of having a Triumph was already fix in my mind. Today, I can say I proudly bought a Triumph Sprint ST 2000 for $3500... 8000 miles... blue... fuel injected... I am astonished! THAT´S A DEAL!! :cool:

I am from Brazil, and there with $3500 one can buy a 2000 CB500 Honda or a new Honda 250cc... :???:

I have already bought the Maintenance Manual and try to do all the maintenance at home. Is it easy to do? Is it advantageous to join the RAT (they offers a $30 membership at triumph.com)?

Proud to be a Triumph owner,

Dário Pranckevicius

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome to the fold. I, for one, think you got a smoking deal! These babies aren't even broken in until you get past 12- 15K on the clock.

Just like Sammy Hagar says: "Get on your bike & ride"!

I guess Blue's an okay colour..... :-D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Dario. Always good to have another ST rider on board. I am not a member of a RAT pack. I don't see the need. I am not much of a joiner anyway- too independent.

I bought my Blue 2000 ST last May and gave $4,600. It had 7,000 miles on it with hard bags and a performance can. I feel like I got a very good deal. It is a fabulous bike and with only 7,000 miles, it was like new. I only rode 3,500 miles last year. I hope this year will be better.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Dario and welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a great deal there.

Did you buy it from a dealer? One suggestion I might make is to check that all the recall items have been accomplished.

Other than that, ride and have a ball.

Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that Triumphs are hard to sell here in the sunshine state (FL). When I first saw a Triumph for sale, it was a T-Bird 96 for $2200. I didn´t believe that! I thought to myself: There must be something wrong with this bike... after that I saw my Sprint for $3500!

I am gonna check the recalls... I bought it from the second owner, so I would not be surprised if they missed some recalls. :wink: Is there somet major safety thing I should check first?

My last sport-tourer bike was a Honda CBX 750cc (nighthawk engine) L-4... It was a good bike, but there is no comparison with the ST!!! :cool:

Thank you for the welcome!

Dário Pranckevicius

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to bing a Triumph owner
I almost feel I got hosed. I bought a 2001 Sprint with 5700 on it and I paid 6 K. You got a smoking deal.
I am sure you wil be writting back saying how much you love the bike. I do.
Lee

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dario, welcome and congrats on your ST.

Besides checking that the recalls have been applied you might want t o change all liquids (engine oil, cooling, brake fluid) just to ensure that you can enjoy your machine in optimum conditions.

have fun

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't know the exact years affected by the various recalls, but your dealer should.
The clutch cable recall probably doesn't affect your bike or it's been done by 8,000 miles.
The fuel level sending unit recall?
The plastic fuel disconnects recall? Check on this one and have it done if it hasn't already been done.
The noisy fuel pressure regulator?
Maybe a few I'm missing.
$3500 is a deal! Most of these I've seen were about a grand higher in decent shape. I really love my sprint.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I got it on Ebay... I thought it was to good to be true. I was very distrustful about it. But everything went ok! The bike now sits on my garage, looking good next to my brother´s Suzuki Intruder 1400... :cool:

I already ordered a Clymer manual and this week I am going to change all the filters, oils, and to regulate and lubricate the chain.

Here it is:

Ready for the Miami Motorcycle Show on April!!!

Dário Pranckevicius

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here in UK the time of year makes a difference to bike prices. When the warmer weather arrives in May / June, demand for bikes goes up and so do the prices. I also feel I got a bargain with my Trident at under £1000. If it had been a Meriden Trident it would have been at least £3000 for one in similar condition. I just wish it sounded like a British bike. Still, another 10 years and the Thruxton might be cheap enough for me to buy one. :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!
One of the reasons there may not be a lot of Triumphs on the road here is the dearth of good dealerships. Granted I got spoiled in California, but I'm surprised by the marginal roll bikes are relegated to here...

If there are recalls that need to be done, I recommend Palm Beach Triumph. I know its a hike, and Cutler Ridge is a lot more convenient, but as a multi line shop, they don't have great depth of experience with Triumph. Coming from the Keys, I certainly don't relish the hike up to PBT, but a couple of mishaps, including a botched recall execution, convinced me that competency is worth the drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts