Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of hard research on aftermarket exhaust options while waiting to get a Scram and noticed there seems to be a lot fewer options than what's available for Bonnies and Thruxtons.

Because of my budget, I'm just considering slipons, and TORs, Hyde Togas, D&Ds, Performance, and BC's new retro reverse cones seem to be about it, whereas Bonnie\Thrux owners seem to have maybe twice as many options (lucky!!). Is it just because Bonnies and Thruxes can often use the same exhausts so when you combine the two there's a much greater market compared to Scrams?

Also, while I'm sort of ranting :( , why the heck do exhaust manufactureres and distributers so seldom have video sound clips of their products? The few that do seem to just provide a youtube link that's often been pulled. When I shop guitar amps\effects products, the manufactures always have good clips available so you can hear before you buy. Why would anyone expect you pay hundreds of $ just on their assurance their product sounds "throaty, like the '60s bikes, etc."?

I know a lot of people here have gone to the trouble of posting good clips and I've found them helpful, but I just think it's lazy to say the least for manufacturers not to do so. I'm assuming they're at least going to the trouble of installing their products on bikes to make sure they fit and work, so what's so difficult about going that extra step and making a clip?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that's a good idea.

Maybe some have: have you checked youtube?
haggis95 - believe me, I check it regularly. I've even got a Google video alert to be notified when a new one is posted. Many have been quite helpful, especially those posted by forum members. But many aren't geared towards giving you an idea of what certain exhausts sound like or just were poorly made. That's why I think the manufacturers should step up and make some. Distributers could too, but ultimately I think the responsibilty lies with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
build your own for the price of a full exhaust system you can buy a nice mig welder and build something completely one off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
build your own for the price of a full exhaust system you can buy a nice mig welder and build something completely one off.
Rrrrright - spend twice what I've budgeted for slip-ons on equipment that I have no clue how to use. Be about as easy and safe as learning how to do a root canal on myself:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rrrrright - spend twice what I've budgeted for slip-ons on equipment that I have no clue how to use. Be about as easy and safe as learning how to do a root canal on myself:rolleyes:

if you can draw a somewhat straight line on a piece of paper you can use a mig welder. it is very very easy.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rush - i can maybe draw a fairly straight line, but there's also the whole engineering part that's way over my head.:confused:

If I could though, I'd probably design something like the short staggered peashooters on the '67-'68 TR6C, or even a pipe on each side arrangement like the '64-'66 ones.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Any one can run a meg welder but there are not as many that can do it right.Then you need a good pipe bender there not cheap a good one is more then the welder.Thers no way you can build one and save money unless you all ready have the stuff to do it with.Better to just buy whats out there.That limited to as few scrams as there are out there compared to other bikes.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I`ve NEVER seen stock Scrambler headpipes for sale,otherwise I would have experimented with systems for them. I can`t imagine that building a collector and any one of the 1000s of mufflers out there would be that tough.All my high pipe setups utilized modified Bonnie headers.As far as migging exhaust pipe,mine is great for tacking the bits together,but even though I can draw a pretty straight line,I`d pull out my few remaining hairs if I was forced to build a complete system with a mig.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scram Exhaust

I've been doing a lot of hard research on aftermarket exhaust options while waiting to get a Scram and noticed there seems to be a lot fewer options than what's available for Bonnies and Thruxtons.

Because of my budget, I'm just considering slipons, and TORs, Hyde Togas, D&Ds, Performance, and BC's new retro reverse cones seem to be about it, whereas Bonnie\Thrux owners seem to have maybe twice as many options (lucky!!). Is it just because Bonnies and Thruxes can often use the same exhausts so when you combine the two there's a much greater market compared to Scrams?

Also, while I'm sort of ranting :( , why the heck do exhaust manufactureres and distributers so seldom have video sound clips of their products? The few that do seem to just provide a youtube link that's often been pulled. When I shop guitar amps\effects products, the manufactures always have good clips available so you can hear before you buy. Why would anyone expect you pay hundreds of $ just on their assurance their product sounds "throaty, like the '60s bikes, etc."?

I know a lot of people here have gone to the trouble of posting good clips and I've found them helpful, but I just think it's lazy to say the least for manufacturers not to do so. I'm assuming they're at least going to the trouble of installing their products on bikes to make sure they fit and work, so what's so difficult about going that extra step and making a clip?
Arrow makes a great set for the Scram and they sound good also. I beleive they have a sound clip on theeir website. Not cheap, but a great piece of grear especially for the Scram.

·
Registered
218 Posts
MC January 2009

New Zealand Thunder Bike. The guy built a great looking Srambler. 904 bore kit and a good looking set of pipes . Joe

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't believe you haven't found sound clips of the exhausts you want to hear on Youtube. My experience is that there are nothing but clips of bikes with aftermarket pipes on. Personally, I'd like to see and hear greater variety.

Try the advanced search options. Also I still think there's a pretty good choice there. Everything from ultra retro (Togas) to super modern (Arrow) with the TORS as a good middle of the road choice.

Do Mecatwin do anything?

Andy

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Soundbites are quite deceiving. The environment and recording equipment varies so much. For example, the video of the Norm Hyde on YouTube sounds weird and anemic. However, having them on my Scrambler I can attest that they are the best sounding pipes I've ever heard. Of course, even if you hear something in person, it's still a subjective matter of taste.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ventura is that one of the Hepco Becker Rear Luggage Racks you've got there? If so, how much and where from. If not, what is it and how much/where from?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ventura is that one of the Hepco Becker Rear Luggage Racks you've got there? If so, how much and where from. If not, what is it and how much/where from?
Its a Ventura luggage rack (no relation!!)

Bought on Ebay some time ago.
Highly recommended!
Like all Ventura systems the small rack part can be simply removed when not required,
or interchanged with pack-rack when touring with baggage.

A little off-topic but there you go!!
Im sure the "search" function will bring up more info.

V.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts