1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a black on black Bonneville, just beautiful,

haven't picked it up yet, but just thinking about value for money,
why the heck, are bikes so bloody expensive ?

surely it can't be the technology, materials or parts,

you can buy a nice small car for AU$16,000 in Australia
and it will have 3 extra wheels & tyres, at least 2 more cylinders,
2 extra disc brakes, ****-loads more metal & glass, lots more upholstery and instruments, 3 more head lights, blinkers and parking lights too !

so where is the justified cost difference then ?

please explain !

·
Registered
62 Posts
you have to have a car

unless you live in southern california or florida, you pretty much HAVE to have a car, a bike is more of "want" than a "need", kind of like the same reason boats are so expensive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In our case, over here in the U.S. a private bank called the federal reserve has been printing so much fiat money out of thin air (No gold backing) that inflation is skyrocketing. I know Triumphs went up again this year and my 08 M50 went up $1100 in 09 for the exact same bike.
So at least for us, its not so much the prices going up, it is that the dollar is going down. They say its the birth pangs of the new world order. :eek:

·
Registered
866 Posts
unless you live in southern california or florida, you pretty much HAVE to have a car, a bike is more of "want" than a "need", kind of like the same reason boats are so expensive.
+1

Also consider that production numbers matter as well, I would guess that just about any common car is manufactured in numbers that dwarf those of even popular bikes. Thus, surprisingly high unit cost on bikes.
There are also a lot fewer motorcycle dealers than car dealers, so less competition. As far as I know, there is only one Triumph dealer in Utah, so I don't see them being very generous on pricing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, love to know the average mark up on a bike ?
I'm sure if bike costs were priced more towards what they realistically are, eg. for what you get in comparision to a car, they'd sell heaps more !
like cameras, the dealers always cry there is no money in them, but there are lots of camera shops.

some 25 years ago a 350 kawa sold for AU$2500 look at prices now.
two years ago just before the scooter boom, I was in china and was offered a contact to import & sell scooters, they could retailed for AU$4-5000 easy here
actual cost per unit was AU$550 in lots of 100,
damn I wish I'd taken it on.

any ex bike sale people out there who can shed some light on the real cost, like, what's in it for the dealer, what commission does the poor salesman get etc, they're always crying too ?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Over hear they arent really that expensive. You have to remember that you are paying for a bit of a marquee and a some exclusivity. Triumph only makes 40,000 bikes a year, a far cry from Honda's 13million.

If you are going to ask that about Triumph then you can ask the same about Harley.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Expensive??

If you pit fun to dollars- than I have gotten my moneys worth 3 times over & plan to make it 4+!! My Bonne was $7000 OTD. Put that up against any (mine 800 cc) bike & I think you will find out not overpriced!! Then there is the uniqueness of owning a reborn classic that really worked!. Not all that wild about all the new plastic tho & havent kept up w/ new prices, but I consider mine was a great bargain!!

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
They're relatively cheaper in the US, compared to the rest of the world. I wonder how long that will last? :confused:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeh its a good question,I paid 12000 plus on road costs for my Bonnie in June last year,worked out at about 13500 AUS,they were selling some of the bigger Hondas and Harley sporters for around the same price-so it can't be production numbers ?:)J.B.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
surely ?

surely someone out there in Triumph, Honda or even Harleyland should be able to give us more info on real prices, eg approx wholesale cost, approx profit markup etc.

wouldn't you all love to know if we are being shafted ?

what we need is some factory outlets set up in various places around the world, with cheaper bike costs and = more sales for the maker !

:):)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Its not like you are buying vehicles by the pound. Development costs aren't much less as they still have the same basic components and systems. Supply chains, dealer networks, parts, shipping.. All the same costs as an imported car. Personally I wonder how they can do it so cheaply.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not like you are buying vehicles by the pound. Development costs aren't much less as they still have the same basic components and systems. Supply chains, dealer networks, parts, shipping.. All the same costs as an imported car. Personally I wonder how they can do it so cheaply.
well the R&D shouldn't be too much to add to the equation,
as Triumph or at least Bonnevilles have been around for 50 odd years now and they really haven't changed all that much, even back then, they were even making about 30.000 of them a year !

so what changed to make them cost so much, dealership greed ?

back then they only cost about 400 Quid or pounds !!
:):)

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
And how much is £400 equal to today? Probably about the same as what we're paying for them today.

·
Registered
62 Posts
not all that expensive

Triumph's are not all that expensive compared to other Euro brands(or Harley for that matter). You can get a Rocket III touring for about the same as an base Electra Glide and have a whole lot more power, torque, and of course style, and they pale in comparison with some of the Ducati models out there now. I actually think Triumphs are a bit of a bargain, and in the case of the Bonneville line, it's something no one else is really making ( a basic motorcycle that you can modify to your heart and wallet's content). When I bought my Scrambler new in 2006 it was $7100 out the door with .5 miles on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Little thing on inflation: If we base the worth of a dollar on the US dollar from 1921, the it would take $96 dollars from 2009 to have the same value. The more Benjamin's they print the less they are worth.

16,000 AUS is about 10,564US, 13,314CDN or 7450GBP. We North Americans get the best deal on these bikes by far. Mine was a 2007 With Tors and a bunch of extras with 4100kms on it from the dealer for 6500 plus tax so 7000 out the door. A new SE is about the $9500.00 mark which is more than a Suzuki Bandit, M50 or S50 but then the Triumph brand is worth it, to me anyways.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And how much is £400 equal to today? Probably about the same as what we're paying for them today.
I think you may be wrong and surprised ? I think it was originally about 100 pound,

I am not really just complaining, but with this topic, everyone seems to be making excuses for the cost triumph dealers charge and skirting around the real question.

"any bike or ex bike sale people out there who can shed some light on the real cost, like, what's in it for the dealer, what commission does the poor salesman get etc, 'cose they're always crying there's no money in them too ?"

would have like to get the real price !
:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Gone ?

so, where has everyone gone ? all crawled away to hide now ?
well, that was a pointless exercise, nobody really answered my question & added anything worthwhile !

oh well, such is life !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts