Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 08 tiger 1050 and just can not figure out why they are sitting in the dealer showrooms. What an incredible bike. I mean everyone out there seems to have a jap bike or HD. I guess it just feels good riding a bike that you do not see to often on the road. I guess if they have a triumph, they are not "cool" I really do not know.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Simple,if you ride two up and any kind of speed/distance it's an absolute disaster,if you partner is a midget or your a pedophile!! then great,we went and looked at one of the first out of the factory,my wife gets on a bike like i do,non of this mickey mouse stand on one peg while hubby struggles to hold the bike up,she just couldn't get on the back,the guy who owned the shop said my other half can't get on the bike either,i'd like to ride a 1050 Tiger 500 miles down the road in one hit with John Bloor on the back,it would soon get redesigned,but there's light at the end of the tunnel for when mine goes kaput,KTM SMT i've ridden one,Oh YES and guess what even got a practical dual seat.

Forgot to say,nice bike if your Billy No Mates.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It may be the fact that Triumph changed the Tiger from one of the best dual sports bikes in the world, with genuine off road capability, into a purely run of the mill road orientated bike.

I'm one of the loyal Triumph Tiger owners that have stuck with Triumph since the first modern Tigers came out (onto my 4th), but now wouldn't have a 1050 thrown at me for free :mad:

I wonder if any of the other loyal up to 2006 Tiger riders feel the same and wouldn't buy the 1050, and hence they are sitting in the showroom still ??

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
As i've ridden in the both the Weston Beach race and the Welsh 2 Day Enduro,both with a decent result,i always have a wry smile when people talk about Tigers and off road!!,i've had mine 8 years best thing i ever did was take the poxy wheels off so i could run the bike with 17" wheels and decent rubber,my gripe with 1050 is the bloody silly dual seat.

Back to the offroad thing,have a look at how many Tiger and GS owners run road tyres,we are off to the NW200 on wednesday,my Tiger will be more than good enough on the back roads of Donegal,although i sometimes wonder what the Irish spend their money on cuz it ain't tarmac!!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Winger,

I understand your point, but if you are a true dual sports fan, and will only ride that type of bike (like me) then the 1050 styling is a 100% let down.

For Triumph to totally change a bike's styling to appease a different audience makes no sense to me. Can you ever see the BMW GS1200 type of bike being turned into a pure road bike - not a fecking chance !!

Triumph should have kept the Tiger name and style associated with dual sports, and made up a competely new name for the 1050. We all saw how the last of the 955's flew off the shelves when they were competetively priced with all the goodies on as standard. Surely Triumph must have thought bloody hell, with a restyle we are onto a winner here. A true GS basher !!

What are Triumph scared of ??

Can they only name their modern bikes after the old bikes ??

Would the world end if they thought of a new name for the 1050 ??

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Bought a 06 because of the pillion. Got the wife on the back one of the first 1050's and she immediately said no way. Didn't even want to test ride it. I like the 1050 and would have one if only I ever road it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tiger 900 inj - 1999

Hi all,
I have a 99 Tiger with fuel inj and use it alongside my new FJR. I must admit, I much prefer the Tiger. More relaxed, better riding position, good visibility etc. I have had 2 BMW GS1200's and the Tiger knocks spots off them for sheer character and silky engine performance. I still actively ride with BMW club members and I have a list of people interested in my Tiger if I ever want to sell. No chance !!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with Graeme on all points.

I had the good fortune of riding a new 2005 Tiger 955i (with TOR can and off-road tune) and a new 2008 Tiger 1050 back to back. Both were just broken-in, with the 955i at 1400 km on the odometer and the 1050 with 2200 km on the odometer. I was expecting the 1050 to be the better ride. In all cases the 955i out-performed the 1050. The only advantage I found with the 1050 was its ability to turn-in better (but not by much) as it had firmer suspension and 17 inch lower profile tires for the street. I suppose the 1050 has a higher top speed at 141 mph vs 133 mph for the 955i -- not that I will every really know! The 955i was definitely the winner in bottem-end acceleration (I'm sure the TOR can and off-road tune helped), comfort (and 2-up comfort according to my wife), and just general smooth running. I also found the fit and finish, and overall quality of componentry on the 955i better in EVERY regard, including the luggage. I found the 1050 to look like a Jap-styled motorcycle and just didn't seem English anymore. Its hard to explain unless you examine both. I don't know why Triumph produced the new Tiger, as it really competes with the Speed Triple, Street Triple and Sprint ST. All are in the same bloody category, with minor differences. Very counterproductive marketing strategy if you ask me! That's why the new Tiger is not flying off the showroom floors!

BTW, here's a little known fact: in 2005 -- Triumph sold all 3000 955i models that they produced by early May! Instead of producing more, they tweeked this legend slightly by adding the new 1050 cases and a few other minor cosmetic changes (hidden plumbing) to create the 2006 model. After 2006, no more of a great thing.

While I consider the 955i (2005 and 2006 models) 90% road bikes (grand tourers to be exact), there's no doubt that they can do a bit of rough stuff, like dirt roads, gravel roads, and fire trails without too much effort. Mind you, the Anakees suck in gravel! The pre-2005's, I believe, are slightly better off-road bikes.

So in summary, my opinion is that the 955i is the better Tiger. Period -- and the last of the truely English made Triumphs. We all know where many new Triumph parts are made, and in fact, some whole machines are assembled! Eventually, I believe, the whole Tiger will be assembled in you know where. Just not the same.

I don't want to knock the 1050 as it is a very competent, good handling street bike with balls and a modern, edgy look. However, as Graeme had said, why did they call it a Tiger?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the Tiger 1050 for a year now and still very happy with it. My wife comes on the odd ride and she's only 5'1. She gets on first with the bike still on the stand and doesn't seem to have any problems. She is short and she likes the high seat because she can see over my shoulder, where on other bikes she just looks at my back.
I know what some of you guys are saying the 1050 do seem to sit around in shops, but for whatever reasons people have with them I would buy another one in a heart beat.:D

·
Registered
226 Posts
hi all ive got a 955 tiger 06 caspien blue

love this bike had a ktm 690sm very fun bike but uncomfortable seat was like an ironing board and that's with the gel seat i can ride my tiger all-day long love it had a look at the new tiger 1050 test rode one did not feel like my old tiger and even the dealer main mechanic dose not rate it over the old tiger he's got an 02 model and he's sticking to it and so am i i'm of for a ride now

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've no problem with the name or the concept of the 1050 Tiger,in reality a comfortable bike with a reasonable amount of suspension is what most would go for,17"Dymags etc that is involved with fitting to a 955 is out of most people reach,i cringe at the thought of ever going going back to a spindly 19" front wheel and the choice of rubber that,that involves,for me,the 1050 is inpractical for two up long distance rideing which we do,it just goes to show that the sum of the parts doesn't always add up,for those that ride one up,then great,and i have to say the 1050 motor with the Jap fuel injection is way better than the Sagem that you get on the old 955,all a little frustrating really.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 08 Tiger 1050 and love it. It is comfortable, handles great and the 1050 triple is amazing. My wife (5'10'') rides pillion and loves it too. I'm very surprised to ready some of the comments here. It's a bloody great bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is just typical of all Triumph models. I had a '04 America for 3 years and never once saw another on the road (midwest USA).

At least with my '07 Tiger 1050 I have seen 2 others.

I am just thinking, embarrassingly, that I didn't even know the older style Tigers existed. I must admit in my 40 years of riding, the Tiger 1050 is the sweetest thing ever. Just absolutely love it.

Sidenote: From reading this forum, seems like Triumph should've name the Tiger 1050 something else and kept the more off-road Tiger. But I am sure this has already been discussed many times.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Gee...sorry I brought it up.
FYI - Tiger1050.com is the better resource for 1050 Tiger riders. This forum pretty much sucks for 1050 riders because of the hostile posting environment created by a handful of 1050 Tiger haters. As you can see, they use any excuse to trot out the same tired arguments and insults that they have been posting for 2+ years!

Hope you enjoy your 1050!

·
Registered
226 Posts
calm down rincewind

no one is saying they hate 1050 riders or the bike if you like the bike and i like the style of the new bike especially in black it looks really cool but its just not for me i like my girlie to much it does what i want it to do but i just did not get on with the new one maybe if i had it for a weekend i might change my mind i only had an hour on the new tiger it just felt odd if thats the right word i also tried a stelvios and i hated that lumpy no midrange and very heavy since iv'e had the 955i tiger i haven't found anything else i want if its got two wheels and an engine and it floats your boat i say go for it life's to short to worry about who's bike's better than who's

·
Registered
962 Posts
Giantbutcherdog - learn to use some periods already! :eek: ;)

I don't mean to come off as hot-headed, sorry. I just get tired of the same put-downs applied repeatedly to the 1050 Tigers. This was not meant as a 955i/1050 comparison thread by the OP, and instead he gets a mouthful about the inadequacies of the bike he has already stated that he enjoys.

My response to the OP's original question is that the Tiger has always been a niche bike in the US. I have never seen them selling like hotcakes, despite their workhorse abilities.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Giantbutcherdog - learn to use some periods already! :eek: ;)

I don't mean to come off as hot-headed, sorry. I just get tired of the same put-downs applied repeatedly to the 1050 Tigers. This was not meant as a 955i/1050 comparison thread by the OP, and instead he gets a mouthful about the inadequacies of the bike he has already stated that he enjoys.

My response to the OP's original question is that the Tiger has always been a niche bike in the US. I have never seen them selling like hotcakes, despite their workhorse abilities.
If you go back to the original posting,the question was why ain't they selling,and people are putting up the answer,the Tiger in Europe most certainly isn't niche,it's been a big seller,the reality!! it's all about the dual seat,for the few that have small passengers or ride alone it's not a problem,but what Triumph have done,is excluded a high number of potential buyers,they are not the first to manage such,BMW did it with the deceased R1100s and went to the R1200s,it appealed to a much smaller clientel and as such ceased production after 2 years.

I've no problem with the concept,name,17" wheels or anything else you can think about apart from the seat,i use my Tiger for one thing long distance two up rideing,my idea of an reasonable day is 500 miles,i have a wife who enjoys doing the same on the back,Triumph have prevented me from buying a new bike off them,it's not my fault,and as the original posting said their not selling,i'll be interested to see Triumphs reaction,on a factory visit in 2000 i asked why the 885i,they told me i was wise with hindsight!!,it lasted 2 years and we got the 955i.

I don't hate the 1050,i'm miffed with Triumph for exlcuding me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts