Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting idea. I find my realistic range on my unfaired Bonnie is about 400 miles. After that it starts to feel like work.

Although I’ve installed the factory cruise control, which is a tremendous help when covering distance, I can’t help but wonder what a faired version might be like. Still retro, so sort of like the BMW R100RS from back in the day?

Not a bike that looks like the R100RS, but one with that same ethic, on a Bonneville
Your points are well taken, and the T120 with heated grips and cruise control is a congenial light tourer.

The OP is asking, tho, why doesn’t Triumph build one for us? Why do we have to build this bike with aftermarket parts?

The T120 is the logical basepoint. But if we are talking about a sport tourer, then I think it has to have the Speed Twin engine. The 20 additional horsepower and 80 lb-ft of torque everywhere are going to make it that much better. Keep the taller gearing of the T120 but with the Speed Twin motor, it would be a peach.

If you are planning to travel a 600 mile day on a T120, you are gonna need a fairing. Just putting your feet back on the passenger pegs to balance against the windblast isn’t going to get the job done. :wink2: Imagine the modern equivalent of the old BMW boxer R100RT and R100RS; bikes with fairings designed for the purpose.

Aesthetically I’m thinking something like Moto Guzzi’s Le Mans fairing, with smooth organic lines and a single headlight.

And locking, matching, hard luggage designed specifically for this bike. Tubeless tires straight from the factory. This would be a cool bike. Bring it on!
I have been writing about that myself for several months now on different forums. Having had and still do have a BMW R100RS it is a very fine sporrt touring bike---even 2 up riding--as i do 90% of the time now.
My 2018 T120 has done over 400 miles 2 up on several days---even with the stock seat----but needed stops every 75 miles or so. The bike is capable of being a good sport touring bike with maybe another several thousand dollars woth of enhancements. Seat being No.1...Gas rear shocks No.2....forks 3rd. and some type of fairing---which i have several in my attic over the shop to test....but must fabricate the mounts...
Most recent upgrades are an Xpipe---Predators---and a 40 tooth sprocket....sounds like a bike now---pulls nicely up to 70 very quickly and cruises in 5th gear now at 55-60.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I came off a Concours 14 and honestly its just way to fat and it's not like riding a motorcycle anymore...

As you know I do some pretty heavy touring on my T120 (2018 with 45K miles) and it's really a great bike.

With the upgraded suspension front and rear, steering damper, tubeless ST tires and and Custom Gearing (17T Front 43T Rear) the thing RIPS through the turns, even loaded. The suspension is also raised to increase cornering clearance. The bike handles as well as my FZ1 till about 100 mph... But I'm not going much faster than that thousands of miles from home anyway. Motor is just a gem for sport touring.

I will be folding and getting givi side mount racks which look awful but I am planning my trans continental ride from the East coast to the west coast and back.... I'll need allot of waterproof storage!

I have a few windscreens that I like The little Harley Davidson XR1200 Touring screen is a good compromise and definitely helps in the summer giving some break from the wind but keeping you cool.. I can average 190-210 miles a tank or 50-55mpg at 78-82MPH with it.

I also have the National Cycle Plexi fairing 3 which is also an AWESOME windscreen, extends the season a bit for I can ride in much colder conditions for longer. Issue with this screen is it zaps MPG and performance. I was only getting about 150-165 miles a tank or 40-44MPG at 78-82MPH. It's nice to pay in fuel economy for your just so comfortable. On back roads at 55MPH 50-55MPG is attainable but on the interstate... MPG suffer quickly. Last big ride I did with the T120 was 30-40' weather 500 miles each way with pouring rain all the way back... Wouldn't have made it with out that big ole' fairing.

I also have cruise control and heated grips... Work great. I also run heated gear no electrical draw issues. I also installed highway pegs to change seating position. All together it's very potent ST bike that still acts, feels and sounds like a motorcycle. Other than some reliability issues in the first season, this past season it performed damn near flawlessly for 26K miles.

As stated I will be crossing the country with it next year, perhaps we could meet up on my way through and you can check out my setup!
Cheers,
-Jedz

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have a few windscreens that I like The little Harley Davidson XR1200 Touring screen is a good compromise...

As stated I will be crossing the country with it next year, perhaps we could meet up on my way through and you can check out my setup!
Cheers,
-Jedz
Wonder if that Harley screen would fit on a Thrux and also wonder how it'd look and work? It's about the size I'm thinking about for my tour.

Going south next April/May. See you there!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
the fact that you sullied my Thruxton like this hurts me deeply.
I appreciate Greywolf doing some photo manipulation on my behalf. I can appreciate you love for the Thruxton.

I made a full sport fairing for my Thruxton R when I needed it. I will do the same when I finish drag and land speed racing in 2021. I generally do as most people do is to satisfy myself, I'm okay if others don't like it.

I will be putting a cam in the next few weeks when the parts come in and intend to contact you for your expertise on eliminating the throttle closure issues.

Thanks for your hard work in that area and thanks to Greywolf for some ideas for the bike after 2021.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
my sincere apologies
You don't own anybody an apology. Everybody is entitled to their opinion including you and me. If someone is offended then don't look. Nobody is appointed the guardian of what you can or can't like. I personally thought her comment was unnecessary.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts