Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was hoping the RS Thruxton might be a sport touring bike. This motor is perfectly suitable for being doing sport touring.

I wanted a sport touring bike with comfortable ergonomics (bar, seat, pegs), nice long distance seat. Some sort of adjustable wind screen.

How about cruise control, heated hand grips, and a center stand. We don't want to forget some 30 liter hard bags and perhaps a tank bag.

I'd like the Thruxton R suspension and brakes.

How about a two tone glossy paint job with original Triumph script. I'm thinking that paint job would be like the old BMW R90S.

Keep the classic dials and maybe put an analog clock in the middle....no TFT.

Well if they can make 3 or 4 versions of a model why not one for me?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Isn't the discontinued Triumph Trophy that was produced from 2012-2016 pretty close to what you suggest?

As far as cruise control is concerned I think it is pretty cheap of Triumph not to make that standard equipment since the bike is ready for it with just a new switch and mapping. That could be standard for a very low cost on their part versus what they charge to add it after the fact.

Chuck

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the Trophy a size too large. I'm thinking it would lean toward 525 pounds tops maybe 550 if this result of a larger gas tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting idea. I find my realistic range on my unfaired Bonnie is about 400 miles. After that it starts to feel like work.

Although I’ve installed the factory cruise control, which is a tremendous help when covering distance, I can’t help but wonder what a faired version might be like. Still retro, so sort of like the BMW R100RS from back in the day?

Not a bike that looks like the R100RS, but one with that same ethic, on a Bonneville platform.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting idea. I find my realistic range on my unfaired Bonnie is about 400 miles. After that it starts to feel like work.h

Although I’ve installed the factory cruise control, which is a tremendous help when covering distance, I can’t help but wonder what a faired version might be like. Still retro, so sort of like the BMW R100RS from back in the day?

Not a bike that looks like the R100RS, but one with that same ethic, on a Bonneville platform.
I like the direction you are going.

If BMW has and still does build a sport touring bike with a boxer engine then why not Triumph? The 1200 Triumph engine is a peach - excellent performer, reliable, superior fuel mileage, and makes a great sound.

Maybe Triumph figured (if they thought about it) that a 1200 sport touring would take sales from the Tiger? Both Triumph and BMW have so many models overlapping other models in their lineups, at least this one has some real differences.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why not put a screen and some luggage on a T120 or a Speed Twin? The Speed's engine is comparable to the new Thruxton RS's. Or the OP is interested in a more-encompassing weather protections and a taller seating position, i.e. something like the BMW's F-series ADV twins?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Speed Twin can probably fit the bill with these add-ons:

Seat -- I have Corbin on my Speed Twin. It is not any softer and does not immediately feel more comfortable that the stock seat, but, after a 2-hour ride I felt no lower back pain, which I did with the stock seat.

Screen -- there are some screens that are larger and more effective, although not as hip. Parabellum and National Cycle come to mind.

Luggage -- I believe SW Motech has dedicated mounts for their Legend bags.

The Speed's engine is easy. Good power but no urgency. Great for relaxed 90 mph multi-hour trips. Tank is somewhat small. 150 miles max before refueling. I don't have a screen or luggage at the moment, but will probably add them at some point. Unfortunately, I can't take long vacations to go cross-country touring, so I use it for commuting.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could build my own Triumph sport tourer with the 1200 motor. The trouble with building your own is I have to settle the less in some areas and it would end up being more expensive.

You one of those deals where you need to change the seat and now the bars don't work. Change the bars and now the screen doesn't work. T

I can do a sport touring fairing but that gets very expensive but I would be stuck without an adjustable windscreen.

I'd love the Triumph 1200 motor but the BMW motor is pretty good and it's already in a sport tourer .

The other issue with Triumph they like surprises so you don't know if they are working on it already.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd like to see someone come back out with a lightweight, scaled down Vetter-style WindJammer fairing that would work on the Bonneville platform. The seating position is already there - maybe just a slightly taller bar and some good integrated hard luggage. The rest of the bits are there ....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Second that.

The T120 has it all pretty much already:
- Cruise Control, check
- Heated Grips, check
- Riding Position, check
- Center Stand, check
- Analog dials, check
- Engine suited for cruising both in power and in fuel economy, check

What I'd add aftermarket:
1. Luggage, I'd avoid the Legend Gear for long distances in favor of Givi Trekker Dolomiti hard cases and their monokey system also for topcase. The pannier without cases is a sore in the eye but compared to the sw-motech bags they hold more and better. And lockable. I've seen a guy in this forum also connecting easily extra stop lights to the cases.
2. Touring Seat, can be done custom, more padding/gel and perhaps a bit higher. Perhaps even a split seating fits.
3. Better or more adjustable suspensions (optional), take them from the Trux
4. Perhaps rise a notch the handlebar

That leaves only to find a suitable screen, which I'm sure exists in some corners of the world, and IMHO for a touring bike we also need to ditch the tube and go tubeless for easier maintenance on the go.

Let me know if you see around something useful, this would be interesting to be able to transform to tourer in less than an hour before long trips.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
That leaves only to find a suitable screen, which I'm sure exists in some corners of the world...
Here’s your screen. Clearview. They make lowers too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I checked Clearview's website, but they offer nothing specific to the newer twins. Which one is that on the picture?
It’s not on Clearview’s website but it’s the recurve screen they started offering for the WC T120 and T100 about a year (maybe two?) ago. It uses the brackets for the Triumph touring windshield. I ordered the largest screen they offered at the time. It goes on in the fall and comes off in the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know my buddy has T120 I have to say I didn't even consider this one as starting point to building your own sport tourer.

I'll have to mull the T120 over, perhaps a little less sporting than I has hoping for but a contender.

I usually can visually what the bike I'm looking and keeping coming back to bike that looks like the old Sprint GT but with a 1200 engine.

If someone has a sport touring T120 I'd like to see some more pictures to get me jump started.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know my buddy has T120 I have to say I didn't even consider this one as starting point to building your own sport tourer.

I'll have to mull the T120 over, perhaps a little less sporting than I has hoping for but a contender.

I usually can visually what the bike I'm looking and keeping coming back to bike that looks like the old Sprint GT but with a 1200 engine.

If someone has a sport touring T120 I'd like to see some more pictures to get me jump started.
I have to agree with Barely Sober, the T120 already pretty much checks all the boxes!
Oh, I have plans to install a Meerkat kat-delete and maybe Triumph's Fox piggy-back shocks; but after 60 years of riding (starting at 12 on a Sears MoPed) and including an epic 11,000 mile Miami to Anchorage ride on my '81 Yamaha XV 920R, I've never found a better, more comfortable touring ride than my new T120 Black.
My only install so far has been a Dart Fly Screen and a Burly tank-bag. My break-in ride was a 500 mile round trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK along a mighty majestic fjord and across two mountain ranges. Lots of twisties and enough passing lanes to break the ton on a whim. Couldn't ask for more!
I did ponder the Speed Twin, but I don't like the styling; Short fenders look to "chopper" ...and dont protect. And, unless it's a Thruxton, a classic Triumph needs pea-shooters to look propper. I think I'd like the Thruxton riding position; but only for about an hour's ride and only in the mountains. (There is an after-market adjustable handlebar from Motone Customs that's inspired by the Laverda Jota alowing positions all the way from 'Clubman" to "Standard").
I'm hoping next Spring to ride the Alaska Highway to Boise with my son-in-law (with my T120 and aforementioned XV920R). Maybe we could rendezvouse in McCall and trade rides for an afternoon in the mountains?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree with Barely Sober, the T120 already pretty much checks all the boxes!
Oh, I have plans to install a Meerkat kat-delete and maybe Triumph's Fox piggy-back shocks; but after 60 years of riding (starting at 12 on a Sears MoPed) and including an epic 11,000 mile Miami to Anchorage ride on my '81 Yamaha XV 920R, I've never found a better, more comfortable touring ride than my new T120 Black.
My only install so far has been a Dart Fly Screen and a Burly tank-bag. My break-in ride was a 500 mile round trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK along a mighty majestic fjord and across two mountain ranges. Lots of twisties and enough passing lanes to break the ton on a whim. Couldn't ask for more!
I did ponder the Speed Twin, but I don't like the styling; Short fenders look to "chopper" ...and dont protect. And, unless it's a Thruxton, a classic Triumph needs pea-shooters to look propper. I think I'd like the Thruxton riding position; but only for about an hour's ride and only in the mountains. (There is an after-market adjustable handlebar from Motone Customs that's inspired by the Laverda Jota alowing positions all the way from 'Clubman" to "Standard").
I'm hoping next Spring to ride the Alaska Highway to Boise with my son-in-law (with my T120 and aforementioned XV920R). Maybe we could rendezvouse in McCall and trade rides for an afternoon in the mountains?
Great feedback. McCall is doable just let me know the configuration you want to try the Thruxton R. Triumph quarter fairing or with the Bonneville fairing? The riding position with the Bonneville fairing is eh racy.

Sometime this spring the Thruxton will be down for cam... but I have a lovely BMW RnineT/5 we could substitute.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Second that.

The T120 has it all pretty much already:
- Cruise Control, check
- Heated Grips, check
- Riding Position, check
- Center Stand, check
- Analog dials, check
- Engine suited for cruising both in power and in fuel economy, check

What I'd add aftermarket:
1. Luggage, I'd avoid the Legend Gear for long distances in favor of Givi Trekker Dolomiti hard cases and their monokey system also for topcase. The pannier without cases is a sore in the eye but compared to the sw-motech bags they hold more and better. And lockable. I've seen a guy in this forum also connecting easily extra stop lights to the cases.
2. Touring Seat, can be done custom, more padding/gel and perhaps a bit higher. Perhaps even a split seating fits.
3. Better or more adjustable suspensions (optional), take them from the Trux
4. Perhaps rise a notch the handlebar

That leaves only to find a suitable screen, which I'm sure exists in some corners of the world, and IMHO for a touring bike we also need to ditch the tube and go tubeless for easier maintenance on the go...

Your points are well taken, and the T120 with heated grips and cruise control is a congenial light tourer.

The OP is asking, tho, why doesn’t Triumph build one for us? Why do we have to build this bike with aftermarket parts?

The T120 is the logical basepoint. But if we are talking about a sport tourer, then I think it has to have the Speed Twin engine. The 20 additional horsepower and 80 lb-ft of torque everywhere are going to make it that much better. Keep the taller gearing of the T120 but with the Speed Twin motor, it would be a peach.

If you are planning to travel a 600 mile day on a T120, you are gonna need a fairing. Just putting your feet back on the passenger pegs to balance against the windblast isn’t going to get the job done. :wink2: Imagine the modern equivalent of the old BMW boxer R100RT and R100RS; bikes with fairings designed for the purpose.

Aesthetically I’m thinking something like Moto Guzzi’s Le Mans fairing, with smooth organic lines and a single headlight.

And locking, matching, hard luggage designed specifically for this bike. Tubeless tires straight from the factory. This would be a cool bike. Bring it on!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts