Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the headlight unit on my 2015 XCx.

Existing has 4-pin plug.

Ordered new one online with matching part number but new one has 6-pin plug.

Anyone know why?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further review I think this wasn't a new headlight unit. It was modified with this plug, but why?

On stock 4 pin I presume it's:
Ground
Pilot lamp
Low
High

Following the wires it looks like it's now:
Ground
Pilot
Low left
Low right
High left
High right

Now what is the point of that?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Perhaps it's for models where the left & right are on different circuits so if one fuse blows on a "dark & stormy night" you'll still have some light?
(Just a guess.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be a lot of work to wire on the bike side for a dubious benefit that could be gotten by carrying a flashlight and extra fuses.

I think I've discovered the answer. I just saw that the headlight loom on '18+ Tigers and Explorers have 6-pin plugs. At least the one for sale on eBay does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going 50mph down a dark curvy road you get what you deserve.

But the point I was making is there's easier ways to address headlight light failure than rewiring your bike so that you can switch between single headlights. That won't help for many likely causes, i.e. dead battery, stator failure etc.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Seriously?? You get what you deserve? I doubt you'll find a lot of support for that "pearl of wisdom"
As OldGolgie said, that's (almost) what happened to me. I had auxiliary lights wired into my high beams and fortunately, I was only coming up my (100 yard and very dark) driveway when all of my lights failed. I simply stopped and walked the rest of the way. That would have been a disaster on a dark twisty road at any speed, and I don't think I'd have the time to find the flashlight. Lights wired into two different fuses would prevent said disaster unless the main fuse blew.
Hardly a dubious benefit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts