Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gixxers, yzf's, cbr's, etc.? is it "fashionable" or something? kinda like everyone buying a hog and chroming it out? i just don't get it...

whenever i meet someone on a full faired sportbike, i always have to ask, "so what track do you race at?" mostly everytime they say, "oh i don't race on a track." and i reply, "yeah? then what are you doing with a bike that was built for the track?" they always get defensive and say it was made for the street and yada yada. some of them will be honest and just say because it looks cool or whatever. haha! :hammer: the truth is, yeah, maybe they go out and ride in the country side and stuff like that. i'll agree i am sure it is fun. but for city riding, man, those bikes have got to be some of the most uncomfortable freakin bikes to ride on. i absolutely can't stand leaning over on my wrists all day. it sucks hardcore.

i dunno. i guess i shouldn't knit pick. if you want to ride, then you want to ride. so be it. but at least be practical about it. its like buying a freakin 2 seater sports car when you got a family of 7. it just doesn't make sense.

</rant over>

[ This message was edited by: tekmoe on 2006-11-15 19:58 ]

·
Registered
885 Posts
On 2006-11-15 19:55, tekmoe wrote:
its like buying a freakin 2 seater sports car when you got a family of 7. it just doesn't make sense.
cause a little action on the side can't be had in a mini-van..!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
because they are posers. if i had the time away from the navy i would do track says on the s3 in a hearbeat. i garuntee it would be awesome too.

i think most people buy xyz super whatever because they heard it's the fastest whatever or it won this or that. in the real world those types of bikes are useless on the street versus the s3.

i am sure the speedy can hold it's own on the track despite it's intended purpose as a torque mongering wheelie monster. which is just great for me. that's why i bought it. :-D :-D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some people buy sports bikes and never race, just like most people buy SUV's and never go off road.

If it's what someone wants, and t makes them happy, what's the big deal?

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey teck,
in my best tim allen grunt

more power arar ar,

cause it's fun, the s3 is def my first choice for all the reason's you just listed,
if i could afford another it would def be either that duc 1098 or a gix 1000. pure fun, but your right not a commuter

·
Banned
798 Posts
On 2006-11-15 21:35, bkrbil wrote:
Some people buy sports bikes and never race, just like most people buy SUV's and never go off road.

If it's what someone wants, and t makes them happy, what's the big deal?
I dont think Tek wants to deprive anyone of their choices. He just doesn't understand seemingly irrational choices, I dont either. But I gotta say, I've only been riding an S3 for a few months, and I've been riding on the street since the late-1970s. So maybe I've been pretty irrational. A lot of people think riding a full sport bike is fun on the street. I think so too, for a few minutes anyway, then the S3 starts looking like the answer to all the problems with riding a full sport bike on the street. And the S3 is fun as hell on the track too. BONUS. It's really like our own little secret. It was initially hard for me to accept that you can go fast (street or track) while sitting upright and comfortable. Wow what a concept.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd rather be doing carrier landings in a F15.......... as long as we are able to ride it doesn't matter at all to me what bike it is :upthumb: LIke the old saying goes " Live To Ride, Ride To Live "

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
most people are brainless sheep. just look at the metrics that drive japan's design decisions. (they make their products according to numbers - and of course their corporate peer-pawns. (like that sect' has ANY style what-so-ever)

on the good side, triumph has created a 'real' style and have stuck to it. there's a lot to be said about that. someone in the driver's seat 'get's it'!

homogenization has it's appeal to the masses that don't have discerning tastes. and to be honest, those metrics are larger than the few of us with style.

media/magazine glorified write ups and their cheesy-a$$ peer groups are what most of society can only see outside of their suburban blinders. i never did understand the SUV thing... but that's just me... is gas a status? apparently...
(but hey, i'm tainted. i successfully developed campaigns for a giant beer company's ad agency and sold advertising that appealed to the people that run around like their tripping acid with their head's cut off from drinking beer on irish holidays... they're out there, and in huge numbers.)
-b

[ This message was edited by: zooplancton on 2006-11-15 23:14 ]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What you're all saying supports the streetfighter credo.

Track bike gets trashed.

Mucho $$$ for the replacement panels, which eventually get dumped. Useless and not needed for a street bike.

Cramped riding position solved by fitting scrambler type bars.
Result: Instant street fighter.

S3 credo.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The question I ask is why do all those people buy cruisers? Can't turn, don't stop well, look funny if you ask me. But that is the majority of sales. Worthless POS. I get so pissed off riding in the mountains this time of year with the trains of slow moving Hardly Davidson's blocking the roads. And they still manage to run off the rode and kill themselves at low speeds due to total absence of safety gear. At least the squids on sport bikes aren't holding up the cagers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A similar Q to Tekmoe's that I ask is why did Triumph put the pegs so freakin' high on a naked bike? To me, naked muscle bikes are supposed to be the "little-more comfort" version of a trackbike. Sure the bars are a big help, but you're still squatting on your heals the whole ride. That pissed me off during my Speed Triple test ride!

Now, this is the internet so a few people will jump in and say "I touch my pegs down so they shouldn't be any lower...". Good for you, maybe you're 250 lbs or you softened your suspension or you practice the same road and run it at 10/10s of your ability but for the masses, it doesn't make sense at all. The 5% of owners who would actually need higher pegs can easily buy rearsets.

:evil: :(

Not hatin, just tired of the cramped position of my zx9 and was let down that the speed triple wasn't more comfortable for the knees.

Oh, about the uncomfortable trackbikes, some people who love motorcycles just want to try everything once...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Zoo's onta somethin' with regard to the magazines. Most bike reviews focus on performance, and quantifiable performance figures come from the track. How those bikes work on the street is another matter, one which is addressed in most reviews, but which gets lost at the end, where the specs are posted.

Tim Allen syndrome is also responsible. Everybody wants to have the biggest, baddest, fastest, whatever. Not everybody can go out an' buy a Porsche, but a GSXR is within reach.

Of course, the wonderful irony is that this year's hot bike will be next year's also-ran.

My experience with the TT so far has been telling. It's not the latest, greatest, or fastest. But first gear will take you well over any in-town speed limit. Second gear will take you over any highway speed limit. There are four more to go, the top couple of which are rarely gonna get used. And all the while, the thing's screamin' like a banshee. You can hear it for a mile.

It's certainly fun, but since I don't plan to make a hobby out of collecting speeding tickets, I can't see much sense in owning it unless you take it to the track, which is what it's made for. Otherwise, it's just posing.

If you wanna pose, I suppose that's your right. I don't mind posin' once in a while myself. But my practical side insists that the thing get used for its intended purpose once in a while, too.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Hey Wheelspeed, I'm curious about your physical dimensions, I'm 6'1"' and have a 33" inseam ( a little on the tall side ). I dont personally find the S3 cramped. But that's just me.
kjazz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why do you even care? If you pulled up beside me and asked that same question I'm sure I would ignore you or tell you to mind your own business. Not everyone has to do what you do or think like you do!

On 2006-11-15 19:55, tekmoe wrote:
gixxers, yzf's, cbr's, etc.? is it "fashionable" or something? kinda like everyone buying a hog and chroming it out? i just don't get it...

whenever i meet someone on a full faired sportbike, i always have to ask, "so what track do you race at?" mostly everytime they say, "oh i don't race on a track." and i reply, "yeah? then what are you doing with a bike that was built for the track?" they always get defensive and say it was made for the street and yada yada. some of them will be honest and just say because it looks cool or whatever. haha! :hammer: the truth is, yeah, maybe they go out and ride in the country side and stuff like that. i'll agree i am sure it is fun. but for city riding, man, those bikes have got to be some of the most uncomfortable freakin bikes to ride on. i absolutely can't stand leaning over on my wrists all day. it sucks hardcore.

i dunno. i guess i shouldn't knit pick. if you want to ride, then you want to ride. so be it. but at least be practical about it. its like buying a freakin 2 seater sports car when you got a family of 7. it just doesn't make sense.

</rant over>
[ This message was edited by: Dogma on 2006-11-16 10:32 ]

·
Banned
798 Posts
In that case Dogma, why do you seem to be so repulsed by Tekmoe asking a question?? Why do you care if he's curious about other people's buying decisions?? The fact is all of our decisions (retail anyway) do affect what gets brought to market. So to blow off the question as irrelevant is really a pretty myopic point of view.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hmm... <font size="+1">Sounds like SOMEONE woke up on the wrong side of the rock this morning</font>.

Hey, if we hadn't invented fire, we couldn't have

:flam: :flam: :flam: :flam:

Tek asks a valid question - why purchase something ill-suited to the purpose for which its purchaser ends up using it. And yeah, the answers are opinions, because what and why we ride involves subjective, non-quantifiable variables. And even when the variables are quantifiable, people will choose differently because of what they value (some want top end horsepower numbers, some want torque numbers, some want a 21"-over front end with a 60-degree rake).

If it weren't for opinions, we wouldn't have much discussion around here - just dry technical exegeses concerning GSXR front end swaps and such :-D He11, even the Mushy Brake Syndrome discussions would have to cease, because while there are lots of theories (which are like opinions, except with "facts" tagging along for support, even though the "facts" don't always lead everyone to the same theory).

It would, however, keep the CHEAPSTER'S post count lower.

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2006-11-16 11:37 ]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Then all the dudes on the site who bought 675 all ride on the track??? So we can't call them posers cause they bought a Triumph I guess??? WAKE UP! AGAIN WHO CARES JUST RIDE!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts