Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Why are our sprocket covers so beefy?

851 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  FasTriumph 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about an aftermarket sprocket cover, for no good reason other than looks. But every time I pull the stock one off to clean it, I'm struck by how thick and heavy it is. It makes me nervous that putting a more minimalist one on might somehow be a mistake. Does anyone know if there's a functional reason the stock piece is so beefy? Is it just to match the engine case, or is there some terrible fate it's protecting me from?

I'm finding now that I'm stuck inside, I've got time to ask stupid questions... :/

Thanks!

#3 ·
You won't have any problems at all going with a slimmed down stylish after market sprocket cover. Keep in mind oil and sludge spins off the sprocket so whatever you choose I suggest getting one that has appropriate protection to catch the flinging oil. Many aftermarket covers do not so be selective.

#6 ·
Buy a spare and modify it yourself , I cut my own down . You could start by drilling holes , maybe a pattern of your own design . Depending what tools you have it could keep you occupied anywhere between a couple of hours to a couple of days . Think of the kudos " yeah I did it myself with a tooth pick and a nail file " .

#11 ·
As Hpig said take the oem and modify it.........here's what I did.
[url=https://postimg.cc/k2D5Rt0W][/URL]

picture url
No offense intended but there are many reasons not to run a sprocket cover so naked, crap thrown off on pants, shoes etc. Then road debris thrown in there. OTOH, on several of my Ducati’s i ran drilled covers and then a very cool clear one, only cause it looked badazz.

#15 ·
Hey yrunvs! Down here in Saint Paul the last of our snow just melted. I've heard there's still some lingering UpNorth. My bike is definitely all tarted up and ready for some longer rides. Trips to Target just don't satisfy. By the way, your modified sprocket cover is the bees' knees!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.