Votes: 37 43.5%
  • over 6'

Votes: 15 17.6%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who walk closer to the earth face special challenges when it comes to riding motorcycles.

So who's the shortest bonnie rider out there? Guy or Gal? What modifications have you made? New suspension? Seat shaving? Show us the pics!

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I believe that there was a female rider on this forum a while ago who said she was 5 feet 2 inches. I suppose that she has long legs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While I don't own one yet, there's definitely a Bonnie in my future. I'm just south of 5'4", female and I only need about an inch off a stock '08. I can ride them unmodified, but I can't put both heels down at the same time and the bars are a bit forward for my comfort. I'm anxiously awaiting the '09's as they've made all the adjustments I would have made to an '08. And when they do get here it's still might be a tough choice between the Bonnie and the T100. My preference is for dual-sport type riding, so the 17" spoked front and rear would be preferable, but then I'd have to lower the suspension. I'm hoping that the spoked rims will still fit on the '09's so that I can run either way, depending on what I'm doing on a given day. I can certainly see a 5'2" rider managing with no suspension or seat changes. My legs are short even for my unimpressive height, and I could manage if I was willing ride with stacked heels or boots with lifts. Triumph has right sized the 09's for us shorties. Now they just need to get the word out to women that they don't have to ride cruisers just because they're short.

·
30,296 Posts
welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the 09 with new cast wheels is the right bike for you! The T100 has a 19" front wheel by the way - which is probably what you meant. I suspect that some of the 1" height reduction Triumph got on that bike was from changing the front wheel to a 17"

Anyway - glad to have you with us, I hope that you get a Bonnie, they are great bikes, and as you say, a change from the cruiser scene - something a little different.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Mkhayes, you might well want to replace the shock absorbers eventually anyway with better quality, regardless of which model you get. So there's your opportunity to lower it and improve the handling.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My wife (who has a T100) is just under 5'3". We got lower Hagon shocks and I went to work on her seat with a carving knife and sandpaper to get it down to where she could manage. She still can't quite put both heels down, but it's close enough that she's comfortable.

Jeff

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just the opposite situation. 6’3” and 215 lbs. with a 34” inseam. I plan on increasing the foam in my seat, adding Thruxton rear shocks and possibly an 18” rear wheel.

Being short isn’t a physical characteristic it’s a state of mind. Given my HUGE Napoleon Complex: Citadel Graduate (Military College of South Carolina), 8 years USMC Officer, Combat time (1st Gulf War), Triathlete to include 3 Ironman finishes, and 7 Escape from Alcatraz finishes, total Empire Builder at work…

I’m the shortest man I know!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I'm not the shortest, but at 5'-5" I found the stock height to be ok, but could be better. I installed the 30mm shorter Hagon shocks and lowered the fork tubes a corresponding amount. Side stand was shortened accordingly. Feels perfect to me now.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm a mesomorph so although I'm 5'11" I have a short inseam and I went with set of gas shocks set up for a thrux. A bit tippy toe now, but I don't care as the Bonnie rides 100% better.:Wave:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a 30" inseam and I could just get my heels to touch the ground in stock form.
It was hard to push the bike backwards wile sitting on the bike.
I took a set of stock shocks and shortened them by 1".
That made a big difference a lot more comfortable and she handles nice in the corners.
I have another set of Ikon shocks I will try to shorten 1 1/2" to 2"
I will have to do some thing with the center and side stands though.
Because it is a lot harder getting her up on the center stand now with
it being 1" lower.
The side stand is ok now but if I go any lower I will have to modify it a bit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
30" inseam here too. 5 feet, 7 inches tall. I don't think height matters as much as the length of your legs. We all come in variety of sizes and shapes. Long torsos and short legs, short torsos and long legs and everything in between.

The 30.5" seat height on the '08 and earlier Hinckley Bonnevilles is almost perfect me. It's a slight stretch to flat foot it, but I can do it. Pushing it backwards in parking lots isn't hard at all. Another 1/2 inch less and it would be just right but I'm not willing to go through any mods since it really is a non-issue.

29.5" on the '09's might be a bit too cramped for me on long runs though. Unless they lowered the foot pegs too. My '08 is perfect while seated as far as the riding position is concerned. The stock seat is even getting a tad more comfortable but still needs to be replaced for true comfort.

Other than my old KZ400, which also had a 30.5" seat, the other four bikes I owned were taller. The only one that gave me trouble was the Kawasaki Z1-R at 32.5". I ended up shaving an inch of foam from the stock seat. Most of my bike's seats were around 31.5". Never flat footed but you do get used to it. All it takes is a sight lean to either side...

:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Short for my size

I am 5'10" and have about a 30" inseam. I have a mostly stock Bonnie. The peg height is about right and I can put both feet flat on the ground sitting on the seat probably because at about 280lbs the springs are depressed.

The problem I have is getting it up on the center stand. I have bad shoulders which prevent me from pulling it back quickly as I would like. When it starts coming up my feet start coming off the ground and the stand starts sliding back. I have tried standing beside the bike but because of my shoulders I can't hold it up, pull it back, and keep the stand from sliding all at the same time. That is where the 14 year old son earns his keep. I hold it up and hold the stand in place while he pulls. If anyone has a secret that I don't know I would be glad to hear it. I know it shouldn't be this hard to do. :eek:

Pops

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Pops.

I had a little trouble with getting it up on the center stand at first too. Once you master the drill it takes no strength at all. You simply need to have both tires pointing straight. Tilt the bike upright and push the stand down with your foot until it contacts the ground on both sides.

At this point you just need your hands to steady the bike. Left hand on the left handlegrip and the right on the frame by the top of the rear shock.... now just stand on the stand's foot pedal with all of your weight with your left foot. Your weight will get it up on the stand. Your hands simply help maintain balance. You really don't need to pull up with the hands at all.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am 5'10" and have about a 30" inseam. I have a mostly stock Bonnie. The peg height is about right and I can put both feet flat on the ground sitting on the seat probably because at about 280lbs the springs are depressed.

The problem I have is getting it up on the center stand. I have bad shoulders which prevent me from pulling it back quickly as I would like. When it starts coming up my feet start coming off the ground and the stand starts sliding back. I have tried standing beside the bike but because of my shoulders I can't hold it up, pull it back, and keep the stand from sliding all at the same time. That is where the 14 year old son earns his keep. I hold it up and hold the stand in place while he pulls. If anyone has a secret that I don't know I would be glad to hear it. I know it shouldn't be this hard to do. :eek:

Pops
Wow!
Glad your son is there to help!
Can't help you with your plight 'cuz me Bonnie has no center stand.
I have a lot of empathy as I broke my hip in 1981 and pulled my right rotator cup last year at work.
I would like to share a story that may cheer you up as a work mate of mine dropped his HD in the parking lot of a local "tavern" and couldn't pick it up when a young lady come out weighing 125 lbs picked it up for him...
There is a trick to everything and I hope you get you answer here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This just may be the most brutal thread yet. :elated:

·
Registered
306 Posts
wounded ego

a work mate of mine dropped his HD in the parking lot of a local "tavern" and couldn't pick it up when a young lady come out weighing 125 lbs picked it up for him...
Man that would cause a bad contusion to the ego. I saw a guy drop his Goldwing in the middle of an intersection one time and had to have help getting it back on its wheels. I have had the left shoulder fixed but I am waiting for the right one to fall off first. I am paying for the sins of my youth back when I was able to pick up things that I had no business picking up. Now I sit at a desk all day and forget that my old muscles are not used to hard work anymore and end up hurting something.

Squire 51, Maybe that is what I was doing wrong then. I was trying to pull it up rather than letting the stand do the work. I will give that a try from the side. I have tried that sitting on the bike but my legs were too short.

Thanks,

Pops

1 - 20 of 31 Posts