Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's going to wrench on it was the first question that a guy asked me when he overheard me say I was buying an old Triumph. I have also heard "You know its a Triumph if its leaking oil." Bleh! My Triumph is leaking oil!! Not a lot. It seems to be seeping through a bolt on the cylinder block. What should I check?

Prob # 2 I kicked over the engine, starts right away. I warm it up, but as soon as i bend over to get my helmut, it dies. Then, i cant kick it over again. There seems to be an excess of gas leaking around the petcock. My feelings are that there is something wrong with the petcock. i ran the moto with the petcock off just to see what would happen; it ran. Someone suggested checking the cork thing in the middle of the PC and reserve pull (still learning names of things). Am I on a good track?

Totally effed up my paint on the bathtub! Not cool motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Triumphs don't leak oil. They mark their territory.

If it's from one of the cylinder base studs it's from the crankcase pressure causing oil to wick up the threads.
The offending stud would need to be removed and both threads cleaned of oil. Some Loctite Blue will stop it happening.

If it runs with the hose disconnected till out of gas but doesn't run connected. Then there's an obstruction in the Petcock.
Could be a chunk of rust or the seals self destructing, plugging it up.
New Petcocks might be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
If it runs with the petrol switched off, but stops after a while with it switched on, could it be pressure from the tank doing something to the float?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts