Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is really handy for learning by others' mistakes. I f'd up last week and wanted to share. I bled the brakes on the 08 and went for a ride the next morning. I spent the first 30 minutes trying to stop fluid from drenching my tank (matt to make things worse). Do yourself a favour............after bleeding the nipple at the master cylinder, stick some tissue paper in there to soak up the fluid. The nipple sits vertically and the rubber cap does not hold it in. There isn't much in there, but it seems like gallons when you're out on your Sunday morning ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Where's your Bootie :~)

I just looked at my bike also a Matte black, But a 09 and the problem you had want be a problem for an 09 cause my bike has a Little Rubber Boot that fits over that Nipple to keep trash out ,and i guess to keep what happened to you from happing!

What did you wash your tank with? I would think a Mild dish soap would be fine? Real Mild!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just looked at my bike also a Matte black, But a 09 and the problem you had want be a problem for an 09 cause my bike has a Little Rubber Boot that fits over that Nipple to keep trash out ,and i guess to keep what happened to you from happing!

What did you wash your tank with? I would think a Mild dish soap would be fine? Real Mild!!!
Bootie doesn't help. It keeps stuff from getting in, but does not keep fluid in. Happened to me too, but on calipers (they have rubber caps too). I looked at caliper after first ride and thought that nipples started leaking, but wiped them off and no more fluid. Next time sucked out all fluid from nipple (you right, there is surprising amount hidden there).
As what to use to wash it off - water is best. Use hose or sprayer, rinse with good amount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts