Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got all my parts collected and started reassembling the thing. New SAI block off plates were the last obstacle, and the new Chain Reaction pipes all lovingly bolted on.

Now the fuel pump doesn't run, the neutral light won't come on (except when you first turn on the key for a few seconds) and Tuneboy won't recognize the ECU. The starter won't even click, much less turn over the motor.

Somewhere something is unhooked/attached wrong/buggered up. It's too cold out in that garage and I'm too frustrated to even think about it. I just don't feel like unbolting the tank/airbox again today. Perhaps monday.

Oh, and the battery was dead and I had to charge it.

Sorry, just had to vent. :gooff: "> :hammer: :mad: :cuss: :evil: :animad:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I charged the battery to start with. All the the problems persisted after charging.

If only that were the problem... :(

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
I feel your frustration, man!

Sorry - it kinda read that way that you had the symptoms then on top of that battery was dead.

I would still validate that your actual battery volts are good after charging - battery could be a lost cause if it had been totally discharged. Test the voltage after it has been off the charger for a while & see what you get.
Are you getting any power to anything (lights, horn whatever???)

Start with the easy checks like the main relay output & fuses & any plugs/connectors that may have been disconnected along the way.

I may have missed the history - what had you been doing aside from your SAI & pipe upgrades that might have impacted this?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Make sure you plugged in the electrical tank connector proper, and any other connectors on the tank and airbox.
Battery charged and clean connectors.
And check ALL your fuses.
You do have a Non SAI tune since you took out the SAI?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
These two are where I would start from.

On 2006-12-30 19:19, DEcosse wrote:
I would still validate that your actual battery volts are good after charging - battery could be a lost cause if it had been totally discharged.
DEcosse is exactly right. The fact that you recharged your battery does not mean it is OK. Modern sealed batteries cannot handle being fully discharged. If this happens the battery is usually beyond repair.

Try to start with jumper cables attached from your car. If she starts right up you know the battery is buggered for good.

The fact that TuneBoy cannot connect either seems to point to a faulty battery.

On 2006-12-31 03:07, Avi8or wrote:
And check ALL your fuses.
This would be my second bet. If you have your main headlight fuse off while working on your bike the starter will not work.

A very strange way of wiring things up by Triumph factory, but this is where I stumbled after having the tank off and doing pretty much 100% the same maintenance you have done.

[ This message was edited by: Martin_R on 2006-12-31 04:26 ]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, all good ideas. I don't think it's anything major, but I was just frustrated out in the cold. If only I could get that thing down the stairs into my living room. :cool:

Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until tomorrow. Today is The Great Annual Lord of the Rings Ritual, in which we watch the extended version of all three movies back to back. Yes, that's 12 hours of uninterrupted Orc mayhem.

Personally, I was voting for a Samurai movie marathon, but was overruled. Perhaps next year. (Negotiations on the "Benji" marathon are ongoing, as is the "Herby the Love Bug" filibuster.)

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
On 2006-12-31 11:05, crashmasterd wrote:
... Personally, I was voting for a Samurai movie marathon, but was overruled. Perhaps next year. (Negotiations on the "Benji" marathon are ongoing, as is the "Herby the Love Bug" filibuster.)
Next year you can do all 6 Rocky's ........... :razz:

Actually three 'Pirates of the Carribean' would do it for me!
Too bad there were only two 'Kill Bill' movies.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay still having trouble, so here's a clear headed rundown of what was done.

The entire exhaust system was removed, the header and Chain Reaction (Oldsquid) mid pipe ceramic coated, which requires the O2 sensor and wire to be relocated. It is now reconnected.

The SAI was removed and blockoff plates installed. I'm trying to download a non-SAI tune, but Tuneboy is misbehaving. See below.

The tank was removed (duh) and mostly for reasons of curiosity the fuel pump was removed and reinstalled. (There's paint in my future and I wanted to know how difficult it was while I had the chance. Note: it kinda' sucks.)

Everything was reassembled, except for the rear bodywork and the taillight. the fuel pump electrical connector is correctly attached, as is the fuel line.

All the fuses are good and installed.

The kill switch is in the "On" position. Got bit by that before!

When the key is switched "On" the headlights come on, all the idiot lights come on briefly, and the tach cycles like it normally does. However, there is no sound from the fuel pump like normal. When everything settles down, the instrument lights are on, but only the low oil pressure idiot light remains lit. The bike is in neutral, but the neutral light is not lit.

The battery is fully charged, and the headlights are nice and bright.

I've been using Tuneboy via Virtual PC on my Apple iBook, which worked successfully earlier. I installed Tune 20103, but have since changed my mind and am trying to load one of Devi's tunes, #10088.

As of now, Tuneboy is not communicating with the ECU for unknown reasons. On Saturday I managed to get them to recognize each other, but during download Tuneboy timed out. Since then I've had no luck at all.

Did I destroy my ECU? Is something else terribly wrong?

I've been into the thing now and I can't find any loose or missing connections. The only thing I haven't done yet is remove and check the fuel pump.

My last thought on Tuneboy is to borrow a friends PC notebook and try that. However, Tuneboy worked the other day via Virtual PC so why does it not work now? I will say this: Windows XP sucks on Virtual PC (actually, it sucks in general) and only recognizes the USB cable about one time in three. Yes, the drivers were installed.

Anyway, that's my situation. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-01-01 12:49, crashmasterd wrote:
As of now, Tuneboy is not communicating with the ECU for unknown reasons. On Saturday I managed to get them to recognize each other, but during download Tuneboy timed out. Since then I've had no luck at all.

Did I destroy my ECU? Is something else terribly wrong?

Anyway, that's my situation. Any ideas?
Since your download was timed out (I interruped mine) the ECU data might be corrupted. No big deal I managed to do just that, and I recall having similar symptoms, but solved it quite easily.

Try and get a PC for this op (as the MAC might not work 'properly', but if unable try the MAC anyhow.
Load up the 10088 tune (or whatever you intend putting in there) and from the 'tools' menu select 'recover from failed download'.

Hopefully the tune should go in and all will be ok.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you're right Avi8or.

While the Mac was working, it's being very finicky about the download speeds. After lots of work I managed to get it to admit it didn't recognize the installed tune, but it wouldn't recover the download.

After reviewing the documentation, it does sound like a failed download condition. All the symptoms match. I'll have to get with Wayne too.

So I guess I'll have to borrow a laptop and try again later. Trouble is, I just started school 4 1/2 hours a night and am working full time. It'll be at least Saturday before I can give that a try!

Thanks for the insight. It's not like I have any time to ride right now anyway.

Cheers everybody.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Best of luck troubleshooting, and sorry to be impertinent, but how do the coated pipes look?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Best of luck troubleshooting, and sorry to be impertinent, but how do the coated pipes look?

·
Registered
214 Posts
FYI: I live on the NE side of the Couv and have a old Dell laptop you can borrow, and also have a new PC laptop that I can bring over.

Just PM me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Crash man I wish you the best of luck getting "her" up and running.

If all it turns out to be is the mac Tuneboy issue you will be much happier though =)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Here's the thing about wrenching: The actual work is not so bad. It's the troubleshooting part that's tricky. Hope you get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts