Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Partly tongue in cheek but would like some advice in an effort to stay out of the dealership's service department. Literally the only issue with my new Bonny that I have noticed after each ride is a very feint weeping of oil down the LH engine side cover. See pic for where the weeping occurs from. I call it weeping because it really isn't leaking much...it won't make it down to the bottom of the cover after a pretty good ride...about 3/4 down the cover...very light. I checked the bolt torques...by hand only... thinking the fastener affected maybe a bit loose but nope...bolts are tight. So what do the wrenchs on here suggest? My inclination is to remove the suspect bolt and apply some permatex RTV grey just under the head and retorque. If I apply RTV right under the head of the bolt...this way the female bolt threads in the casing won't be affected. Anybody else have a leak from here and/or any suggestions how to resolve it? The bike is still under warranty but again...the kind of thing I would like to address if I can.
Thanks for your advice,
George

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
that's a strange place to have a leak, but I don't think putting RTV on the head will fix it. Sounds like there may be a small tear in the gasket there, which could only be replaced by pulling the cover and installing a new gasket. Not a big deal, but as your bike is brand new you might want to take it to the dealer....

I've pulled that engine cover a dozen times and it's pretty straightforward and a gasket will run around $10-15.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a strange place to have a leak, but I don't think putting RTV on the head will fix it. Sounds like there may be a small tear in the gasket there, which could only be replaced by pulling the cover and installing a new gasket. Not a big deal, but as your bike is brand new you might want to take it to the dealer....

I've pulled that engine cover a dozen times and it's pretty straightforward and a gasket will run around $10-15.
Thank you Sweat. I listen very closely to your advice. I might order the gasket and save the gas and time of taking it to the dealer and do the gasket swap myself when I do my first oil change. Do you apply any RTV to the gasket when you install it, or apply the gasket dry for this cover?
Thanks again,
George

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I've always applied the gasket dry, but it can be a PITA to get the gasket to stay on the engine while trying to attach the cover, especially with the bike leaned over on the sidestand. Also, you will have to dump the oil ahead of time or you'll make a big mess :D

Triumph uses some sort of gasket goo, because it's a major PITA to get the original gasket off.

One thing I do both to make it easier and save the hassle of changing/dumping the oil is to remove the seat and gas tank, then tape a shop towel over the right side (alt) engine cover, then lean the bike waaaay over to the right up against a tree, wall, etc. This makes the whole operation easier.

One gotcha to watch out for: On the starter gear shaft there is a little bent washer called "the wavy washer" that is easily lost when removing the cover. If you have the bike tilted over to the right it probably won't come off, but just be cautious and look for it. It looks like someone took a thin washer about the size of a dime and twisted it 90 deg in each direction. It's like a spring washer that aligns the starter gear. I don't have a pic of it handy, but it's right under where your leaking bolt is, in the bulge of the case.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That is an odd place for a seep . Have them throw on a new gasket and call it a day .

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
mine had a leak out the bolt once .A little atv in the hole might fix it right up worked on mine.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys. Mike...I am going to try your suggestion when the bike cools down. Will remove that one bolt and try some RTV in the hole where that bolt is. Plausible if not likely there is a break in the gasket around that hole as Sweat suggests as no doubt the gasket surrounds each threaded hole completely to seal the sump. Thought is...even with a break around the gasket, if that hole can be plugged then it won't leak...may work because it is such a modest weep.
Thanks again,
George

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah, that is odd..... I have a little leak from my oil pressure switch which is a PITA. I also had the leaky valve cover but I just replaced the gasket. OP switch is next.

George, your gorgeous bike needs a clutch lever cover and boot. :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that is odd..... I have a little leak from my oil pressure switch which is a PITA. I also had the leaky valve cover but I just replaced the gasket. OP switch is next.

George, your gorgeous bike needs a clutch lever cover and boot. :)
Cal...did you even up changing your cam cover? Got any pics of a clutch lever cover and boot?
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would definitely RTV that. Then if it bothers you just knowing that the gasket is likely messed up a little, save changing it for when you have to empty the oil anyway.

Anything could cause that. Even a little fold in the gasket around that particular hole when they installed it to being with.

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
what was strange with mine the gasket was ok i think there was a pin hole in the bolt hole after i sealed it that one time never had to do it again.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
what was strange with mine the gasket was ok i think there was a pin hole in the bolt hole after i sealed it that one time never had to do it again.
A pin hole as in porosity in the casing Mike?...at the bottom of the threaded bolt hole?

How did you seal the casing then? Did you apply some RTV inside the threaded hole itself? You know the slippery slope there. Too much RTV into the threaded hole and you can hydraulic that hole...bbbbaaaad. My thought is to start to thread the bolt to about 1/4" from seating and then apply RTV under the bolt head and finish by drawing the bolt head down to pack the RTV between the cover and the bolt O.D. under the head.
How did you do it?
Thanks,
George
Edit:
I removed the bolt and the threaded bore looked relatively dry so maybe my issue is a breach in the gasket around the hole. Cleaned everything with alcohol and checked the counterbore to see how deep it was relative to the bolt shank length...about 1/4" deeper only...not much. Didn't want to apply any permetex to the thread..so lightly greased the thread and put a good bead of RTV grey around the base of the bolt head on the unthreaded section. Threaded it in there and as the bolt seated, some RTV squirted out as expected...lightly torqued the bolt and cleaned it up and will let set overnight. My guess is that will seal it and probably what the dealer would have tried first before pulling off the cover...lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
:knockknock:Take it back, its a brand new bike. If you bought it at Triumph Detroit you shouldn't have any problems because its an excellent dealership with a top notch service department. Let Triumph do your warranty work.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
instead of leaning your bike waaaay over against a tree or a wall so the gasket stays in place(nothing wrong with that, just not what i'd do, but i'm not looking to start a war over that) you can just use a really miniscule amount (like a few really small dots around the edge) of RTV or "Right Stuff" just to keep the gasket in place. have dont this a few times with excellent results. i personally just dont like the idea of my bike laying on its side on nearly close to being on it's side. seems really easy to dent, scratch, bend. etc. something when it's just as easy to pop it up on a jack or swingarm stand. just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
One can use dots as you say SB or a very very thin film on the entire periphery of the gasket...my vote. The worst are large oil pan gaskets under cars where you have to hold the gasket up against the engine completely against gravity. In this case the gasket is thin and almost vertical and my preferred approach would be to keep the bike on its side stand for the reasons you state and apply the gasket to the casing with light film and bring the cover in dry against the outside of the gasket.
As to Triumph Detroit...no qualms...but probably no need to remove the cover to change the gasket in this case. Will find out shortly. Still have time under warranty if a little RTV on the seeping bolt doesn't work.
Thanks,
George

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Hi there
my 01 Bonnie started leaking from the same place after eight years:confused: I tried tightening the bolts, they weren't loose, and the leak got steadily worse. A trip to the dealer for valve clearance adjustment, meant that I got the job done by them. I was told that once it begins to leak the gasket is history:(. if you are under warranty get the dealer to fix it:D
Phil

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Phil. The reason I posted was I was curious if there were other occurrences with Bonnies.
I used RTV Grey on it and will see how it goes. May end up taking it to the dealer under warranty as many have suggested but my guess is, this very modest weep will be fixed by what I did. I really don't want to have the dealer (or me)remove the cover if I don't have to at this point.
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
instead of leaning your bike waaaay over against a tree or a wall so the gasket stays in place(nothing wrong with that, just not what i'd do, but i'm not looking to start a war over that) you can just use a really miniscule amount (like a few really small dots around the edge) of RTV or "Right Stuff" just to keep the gasket in place. have dont this a few times with excellent results. i personally just dont like the idea of my bike laying on its side on nearly close to being on it's side. seems really easy to dent, scratch, bend. etc. something when it's just as easy to pop it up on a jack or swingarm stand. just my opinion.
the main thing leaning it over makes sure the washer on the starter shaft stays in place .Sure you can stick the gasket with sealer.pluss you wont loose much oil if you lean it over.We all learn tricks on these bikes after you take them apart enough.Some of us have had them apart more then we would like to think about lol.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
mike-

absolutely. i totally agree. that was a bit annoying when i had the clutch cover off if i remember correctly, getting that little washer to stay in place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts