Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a clip last night on a local TV show, where they showed some guy who 2 years ago had been layed of, so he bought a Bonnie put some big Ali boxes on the back and promptly rode the WHOLE of the coast line of Europe, 44,000 miles I think they said.
He had just got home and the bike looked and sounded perfect.
Seems you don't need a BM and a backup crew to go a long way

Barry

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
44,000 miles? He must have taken the Long Way Round.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
44,000 miles? He must have taken the Long Way Round.
Not sure but if you think of the entire coast of Europe from Lapland around the Norway back up the Baltic then around to the med round Italy down through Greece staying as close to the sea as pos, it IS a long way round.

Barry

·
29,948 Posts
Well you really don't need all the mod cons - let's be honest, folks have been doing long distance touring ever since motorbikes have been around - there's no reason a Bonneville can't be used for that. Kudos to the guy I say.

However - a better seat than stock would definitely be an advantage! :D

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
The Gs is as tall as me with a screen on! 6'2"!!! To be honest the GS is a triumph (no pun) of fashion over sense. There are far better overland bikes out there. Infact for most parts of the world an old Yamaha or even one of those Royal Enfields would make more sense! Gs's are like those Flashy 4 wheel drives. An old Landrover or Toyota would be better 99% of the time.Can't remeber where I saw it but a while back I read an artical about some bloke traveling Africa on a TBird (three cylinder one) That seemed to do just fine though still not the best tool for the job. GS? No thanks.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My last bike was a GS 850, I owned it for over a year but never really got on with it, too big and bulky and the gearing was very noisy.
I hankered after another Triumph having previously had a Thunderbird and am so glad I found my Bonnie. The Bonnie is so much easier to ride and control; seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the GS.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That was a great link Flaco. Thanks for posting.
Yeah, I thought so...
He, "NYGUMBO", posted it here a while back.
Pretty cool for a first time rider / owner...
I rode the Black Hills of South Dakota years ago...
Love the Scenic Bar blog from the Pine Ridge Indian Nation! Been there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts