Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking at picking up a 2009 Thruxton. However, I'm torn between the red and black colors. My local dealers have told me that there will not be any red Thrux's available in the states for 2009. I found one dealer out of state who says he has the last red one in the states. Does anybody know is going on here??? It's March afterall, it's hard to believe that Triumph won't be sending any more red bikes our way.

Anybody in the know on this one??

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know where you're located but my dealer had 2 red ones when I bought my black one about a month ago. Pure Triumph in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I don't know anything about the US not getting anymore red ones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dont know what part of the states you live at, but two different dealers here in Houston, TX have a couple of red thruxtons both 08 and 09 each.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have an 09 Red Thrux with Hyde traditional pipes and gear/brake assembly kit, plus Rentec rack. At a 45 degree angle, it looks the business, outshining anything in the park and any other stuff outside the dealer. Persevere - email Triumph - call round, get yourself a Red Thrux!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. The red 09 that I found was outside of Chicago. There's another dealer here in Wisconsin that has a 2008 red Thruxton. It sounds like I can pickup the 2008 for roughly 1k less than the 09.

Now...I've looked into both the 08's and 09's and know the EFI and Carb differences and the clip on verses full bars. However, I am having a difficult time making the call. An 08 in red for more than a grand less than the 09 with EFI and full bars. It's been roughly 8 years since I've ridden and am young enough that I think I could deal with the clip ons, but there's no question of comfort on the 09

Any words of wisdom...2008 (with a grand in my pocket) vs. 2009 (with stress free wrists and back)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just took my first ride on an EFI during Demo Days and I am sold. It is so much smoother than my '07 carb.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just took my first ride on an EFI during Demo Days and I am sold. It is so much smoother than my '07 carb.
Maybe "smoother" but a EFI model doesn't do it for me. I needed the clip-on's and carbs for the full effect. I am thankful that I snatched up one of the last old school models in Canada (ehh).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I say go for the '08 and save a few bucks, especially if you're into doing some of your own mods like pipes, airbox removal, etc. I have a few modern fuel injection bikes in addition to an '06 Thrux and it's much more fun (and less expensive) playing with the carb tuning rather than down loading fuel maps into a Power Commander. The retro styling is enhanced by the retro technology, calling back to a time when bikes could easily be maintained and adjusted by a person rather than a computer. Also, the clips-ons are part of the soul of the bike and didn't seem to make the bike feel that much different from the newer '09 bars. If the leaning forward position scares you, maybe better to go for the Bonneville anyways. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new '09, but heard of a few dealers with leftover '08s. However, once I started looking at the broaded secondary market, I was really impressed with some of the asking prices. I picked up a very clean, low mileage '06 with TORS pipes and some other cool accessories for a little more than half the price of the new '09.

Good Luck!

Doug

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't understand getting full bars on a thruxton. You might as well by a bonneville. When I saw the 09 with full bars I was not too excited anymore about getting one. If I did not find an 08 leftover, I would have bought a Street Triple or Ducati Monster.

I love the red on the Thruxton.....You should go for the 08 model. Plus if it is really that uncomfortable for you, you can convert to full bars later on.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I don't understand getting full bars on a thruxton. You might as well by a bonneville.
Here we go again. :rolleyes: Cafe racers are a matter of personal taste, so it is all a matter of what you are looking for. Personally, I can't stand clip ons and find standard bars give you a lot more flexibility. It is also a lot easier to convert from standard bars to clip ons than it is to convert from clip ons to standard bars. As has been pointed out numerous times before, there are many differences between a Thrux and a standard Bonnie beside bars! But if you even have the Monster and the Street in the same category as the Thrux - you aren't the target buyer for the Thrux.

In the US, I believe one difference you might want to consider is the '08 bikes were made in the U.K., and the '09 in Thailand. I would imagine the workmanship may be better with the UK bikes, since they have been building them there for 7 years...

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the US, I believe one difference you might want to consider is the '08 bikes were made in the U.K., and the '09 in Thailand. I would imagine the workmanship may be better with the UK bikes, since they have been building them there for 7 years...
Excellent point Cafetbird! Just wait til they start making them in China!:D
IMHO, go for the '08 as it is exactly what these bikes are meant to be - retro. Don't see too many old bikes with EFI! Simpler to tinker round with too as others have pointed out. Plus with the 08 you have $1K left for the must have aftermarket pipes & AI/airbox removal with change to spare.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Zizou....what part of Houston are you in? Did you get your Thruxton at British USA? I there on Saturday, January 17, and was looking at the last black '08 they had but it was sold right after I left. I ended up getting the red '08 and now I think I'm glad I ended up with red. I've had a lot of people tell me they LOVE the red color. I already installed the BC performance package and now it's rockin'!:thumbsup:
By the way, I'm in Spring Branch.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Excellent point Cafetbird! Just wait til they start making them in China!:D
IMHO, go for the '08 as it is exactly what these bikes are meant to be - retro. Don't see too many old bikes with EFI!

Yep.... or disk brakes, h4 lighting, ECU for timing, sealed battery, syn oil, etc....... and the beat goes on!

Exactaly what does retro mean? Do we need to return to leather belt drive? How about manual spart advance on the bars, or lost oiling systems??

Styling me thinks.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Exactaly what does retro mean? Do we need to return to leather belt drive? How about manual spart advance on the bars, or lost oiling systems??
Styling me thinks.
Hey, if you like manual spark advance, more power to ya! I think everyone chooses their own unique blend of features and styling. That is what makes our bikes uniquely "cafe". It is what makes the bike your own. The worst thing you could do is leave one entirely stock, but that's just me....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey, if you like manual spark advance, more power to ya! I think everyone chooses their own unique blend of features and styling. That is what makes our bikes uniquely "cafe". It is what makes the bike your own. The worst thing you could do is leave one entirely stock, but that's just me....

I totally agree. My point was EFI does not make it less of a Retro styled motorcycle. Triumph did a great job in the design of the throttle body, most people can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ya I love the EFI and the bars too. Really, the EFI is much easier to work on and improve the engine performance (just upload the tune and voila!). Bars make the bike more versatile and do not hurt more aggressive handling. Plenty of 60's cafe bikes had bars BTW so I don't get the bar-hatred.

The new Thrux is not a 60's bike. It just looks like one!

And it is not a monster or a street triple! Way slower -- and way cooler. Is this where I'm supposed to write "IMHO?"

By the way, if anyone wants a red Thrux and can't find an 08, buy an 09 and paint it red! It's a tank and 3 plastic pieces, it wouldn't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
its all a matter of personal preference. if you want a bike that you are just going to ride and not work on yourself or dont plan to do any mods go with the EFI. it will be less hassle. if you want to work on it and maintain it yourself the '08 would be my choice, not saying you cant mod the EFI, because you can, you just need the computer maps.

everyone here has their own reasons why they own these bikes, and no one persons opinion is the gospel. with that said, i like the idea of EFI and if/when i get another bike it will be an EFI bike (probably a tiger), but with the bonnies, scramblers and thruxtons i just feel they are better carb'd. it just goes better with the asthetic and vibe of the bike. triumph did a really good job with these in their carb'd versions by keeping it pretty close to the older bikes in terms of looks, styling, and even technology (or lack of!) and it just seems wierd to me to make it EFI (but it obviously was done due to EPA laws). so to repeat myself, that's just MY opinion; neither right or wrong.

now, as far as the bars go, if you are going to ride a thruxton, it should have clip-ons, period. it doesnt look right with other bars and seriously, if you can't ride with the clip-ons, get a bonneville.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts