Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to gather as much information as I can when comparing the 'naked muscle bike'. I have whittled it down to two bikes - the BMW K1300R and the Speed Triple.

Two very differing bikes? Perhaps, but I believe they are more alike than people think.

What I would like to know is who here has considered both, but gone for the speedy and why?

ice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
in the many ways they are simular, 2 wheels etc I think that perhaps there may be some aesthetic advantages to speedy, or another is that the BMW looks like the cross between a sci-fi comic and my arse.

I think if you want to buy one you should but ask this question on a ST forum is asking for an insult and a dose of salts..:D

Please post this on the triple site for further hilarity.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too had the same mis-conceptions as you - i.e. I thought it was an old mans bike and looked like a dog - but of all the BMW bikes it has to be said that its looks have grown on me and the more you see what it can do the more it makes sense as a speedy alternative.

1. it is a naked muscle bike
2. it has more power
3. it has more torque
4. the electronic gizmo's can be nice
5. it can tour (as its based on their tourers)

Why would i get the speedy:
1. its british
2. attitude of the bike is unrivaled
3. the sound of a triple engine
4. its british
5. aftermarket parts support is much greater
6. its cheaper (by alot)

Of course, you may laugh at the BMW but I bet there are some people here who considered it - Even when I was at the BMW dealer having a look, there was someone there part-exing their speedy for the K1300R.

ice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up narrowing down to those two as well, I went with the s3 for more cost reasons than anything.

I will say that stationary the BMW feels really heavy but as soon as you move off the engineering becomes obvious and it is light as hell in the corners.

at the end of the day they are both brilliant to ride, if you want raw fun go the speedy if you want a very refined ride go the Beemer.

another way to look at it is>
s3: engine, wheels, brakes, seat, a whole lot of fun and cheap

BMW: heated grips, ABS, variable suspension settings etc etc etc fun in a I'm going to retire soon way but I still want to feel alive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts