Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm picky, been told that by many others over my lifetime, but one of my big motorcycling pet peeves is the flange at the bottom of factory gas tanks. I just think they ruin the look of the tank. In this day of modern manufacturing and robotics, how much more would it really cost to make a nice smooth flangeless tank? Kawasaki are the only ones I know of that mass-produce bikes (some of their cruiser line) without the ugly things. Hell, even if Triumph would make tanks available without the flange for extra. At the very least, they should have included this on the 10k dollar 50th anniversary model. Now that would have been a nice little extra.

So, is it just me? Does anyone else even care about this? If you do, let me know your thoughts. Who's done something about it? i know robnobrakes has that gorgeous alloy tank, which takes care of things, but I don't have his money tree...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Flange

Yeah its ugly as hell!! I got a BB & chrome. I put (chrome) body side molding on it & voila a thing of beauty!! On a true BB- there is blk door edge guard that just clips rite on & looks like it came from the factory! Total cost $4.Try it- youll like it?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Yes, it would look more 'custom' with a flangeless tank. Guess I'm so used to them from riding Beemers from the mid 1980s that the flange doesn't bother me. At least BMW used the flanges as a place to attach their tankbag hooks, so having the flanges made some sense.

Admittedly, it would be a nice touch if Triumph had decided to clean up their tanks on the retro bikes by removing the flanges.

Bob

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Yeah its ugly as hell!! I got a BB & chrome. I put (chrome) body side molding on it & voila a thing of beauty!! On a true BB- there is blk door edge guard that just clips rite on & looks like it came from the factory! Total cost $4.Try it- youll like it?
Lemme see a picture.....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
IMHO the applications of the door edging on the bottom of the tank only accentuate the flange, rather than underplaying it. On my long gone Bonnie Black the flange never bothered me because, everything being black, it was in the shadows. It's much more noticable and irritating on my Scrambler.

Many moons ago I read on this site of a guy who rebuilt, rewelded and repainted his tank removing the flange. There were pictures of the whole process. Very nice. Probably lost to us now. But know that it can be done if you have the will and the $$.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will and $$$- only one of those is a problem ;) I agree the door trim would just draw attention to it, although I may change my mind when I see it for myself.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The Bonne is a great bike, but if i was to draw up a list of all this things I would change about the bike I don't think the Flanges would get a mention.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The new america/speedmaster has a flange-less tank. Unfortunatly the old tank looks much better even with the flange.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The flange doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Flange Covering

I covered that before I de-baffled! It looked ugly/ unfinished. There are many colors the side molding comes in. Cremecycle would look nice w/ white? If black- there is also door edge guard that clips over the flange. Makes it look finished. Using side molding- it comes in different textures etc.. You buy that stuff by the foot so I am sure they would give ya 2" to go look @ it against your tank? Its self adhering, but a few spots of crazy glue in the real bendy spots will help keep it there! In the rite light - you can see the tack/spot welds on the uncovered flange. Its UGLY! The molding was a good old time buddys rec. A good one.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ok, I know I'm picky, been told that by many others over my lifetime, but one of my big motorcycling pet peeves is the flange at the bottom of factory gas tanks. I just think they ruin the look of the tank. In this day of modern manufacturing and robotics, how much more would it really cost to make a nice smooth flangeless tank? Kawasaki are the only ones I know of that mass-produce bikes (some of their cruiser line) without the ugly things. Hell, even if Triumph would make tanks available without the flange for extra. At the very least, they should have included this on the 10k dollar 50th anniversary model. Now that would have been a nice little extra.

So, is it just me? Does anyone else even care about this? If you do, let me know your thoughts. Who's done something about it? i know robnobrakes has that gorgeous alloy tank, which takes care of things, but I don't have his money tree...
I'll give you my take. You are a discriminating man of taste from what I have seen on this forum. Guys like "us" are prone to be hyper focused about things like tank flanges...particularly if we understand the underlying tradeoffs involved in the decision to save a buck by making it that way. My advice is look beyond it. There are other aspects of the bike design that beacon for your attention to detail. The Bonny is not a high end or custom motorcycle. That is part of its cache...its basic and truthful. It has a little roughness around the edges which I do not find distasteful.
I am a product development engineer so everything is a canvas to me but will leave you with some philosophy that may help you temper your anal tendencies. A famous philosopher once wrote: Learn to change the way you look at things and the things around you will change. Its true. Its not about the flanges its about your perception of the flanges :)
BTW...obscuring or adorning the flange is horrid. Embrace it for its primitive appeal.
Best,
George
P.S. I will add if you have built show cars and motorcycles for 30 years you will reach this conclusion. Modding is a bottomless pit with no destination. Modding is more about the owner than it is lack of design authenticity from the factory. The factory many times gets its right or close enough. I love what the great Jesse James says about bike building. Some days he just wants to take a hammer to everything. That about says it. There is no universal truth. IMHO the guy who owns the bike below on here gets it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The tank flange on the new Bonnies bothers me also, but the center flange on the Meriden Bonneville was equally undesirable to me. On our bikes, the flange is only visually objectionable with lighter colors. For example, my T100's flange didn't bother me at all when the bottom of my tank was Goodwood Green, but when I repainted my bike with silver on the bottom it drove me crazy. As is mentioned above, I dealt with it by installing black edge molding. Its not perfect, but the visual impact is greatly reduced. Picture below:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Flange

Hey if it costs $4 to make an ungly costcutting factor on an otherwise good bike look better- "WHY NOT"??? Somehere have spent much $$ & time removi ng it. I say - make it look better & live with it!! For that much mega $$ can change colors, texture, helll anything? Why not??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sheepdog-
Ok, that looks better than I thought it would. The dark moulding against the light tank really does take your eye off the flange.

Rodburner-
Love the flangeless and matte tank! I know the flange is a small thing, but to me the essence of modifying (in my personal style) is small changes that only the select few would be able to tell from stock by looking casually. If anyone is a fan of Chip Foose, you will know what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flange = Bad!

I have posted a few times my trade from Victory Vegas to Triumph Bonneville with no regrets. The ONE thing I do look at with contempt is that FLASNGE. I miss the Vegas' flange-less tank! To me it is a lazy design, and I agree with others that I would have paid more for a flange-less tank on my Bonnie!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have posted a few times my trade from Victory Vegas to Triumph Bonneville with no regrets. The ONE thing I do look at with contempt is that FLASNGE. I miss the Vegas' flange-less tank! To me it is a lazy design, and I agree with others that I would have paid more for a flange-less tank on my Bonnie!
I just sold my Vegas. Ness did a wonderful job on the tank on that bike...but the Vegas is a show cruiser and to me no big deal about the flange.
Learn it, love it, live it. ;)
George
Pic of my Vegas just before sale:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Just put the chrome strip on mine. Got to say it is a very well spent $5.99!! Looks great and is/was flexible enough to go all the way around with no issues. Even up close, right on top of it, looks really good.

CAPTDON -- Great Idea, thanks for the suggestion!!! On a Bonnie Black, chrome looks real good around the tank. Gives it just what it needs to separate some lines on the bike. Now... wonder how the chrome valve covers would look???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts