Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy stuff---I am looking to buy a set of tools specific to work on my Bonneville. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
208 Posts
New guy stuff---I am looking to buy a set of tools specific to work on my Bonneville. Any recommendations?

I’m guessing your Bonneville is quite an ancient one if it needs Whitworth spanners and sockets. The good news is they are widely available - just search on eBay and there are a number of manufacturers still offering them (ranging from budget unbranded ones up to expensive King Dick).

There are probably others on here with more experience of old Triumphs that will be able to advise on particular sixes you will need.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Mike -

Very few Whitworth fittings on your bike I believe......fuel line nuts for one.

Stuart can tell us for sure.........

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Mike

Are we to assume you are talking about tools for your 70 T120R?

I would suggest you obtain (download) a Parts Book if you don't have one and are you familiar with the Triumph parts numbers and number conversions?

K

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Hi arizonamike, A 1970 has several of what we in USA often call Whitworth, more correctly BS size, but the actual wrench size is the same. Most wrench list both.

Even the little nuts holding the breather hose on the rear fender need Whitworth wrenches. Very important one is the valve adjuster nuts. While a 7/16 American size might fit, it won't fit properly.

You should have a basic set of sockets 3/8 drive & combination wrenches. There are 5 basic sizes for our bikes that you'll want.

3/16BS-1/8W, 1/4BS-3/16W, 5/16BS-1/4W, 3/8BS-5/16W, 7/16BS-3/8W That's what will be stamped on the wrenches.

Some sellers have a few more sizes in the kit. That's fine, but these 5 are a common in small set & you'll use them more than you think.

Most everything else is commonly called inch size in USA. There are some very large sizes that are not actually inch, but large inch & a few large metric sizes will fit good enough. Get these big ones at Orielly's auto parts. I've gotten a bunch like for cam nuts etc. Also you can get big combo wrenches cheap there, then grind them thinner. You'll need a big deep socket for front brake plate nut. Again Orielly's. You'll need a smaller torque wrench for head bolts: 16,18 ft#. Larger 1/2" drive for clutch & sprocket nuts. 40-80 ft#.

A cheap grinder from Harbor Freight is most helpful to own if you have a Triumph. A 6" Vernier caliper & 1" micrometer are nearly a must if you are going to do repairs as well as some Triumph special tools. You can get those as you need them.

All the Philips screws are actually Pozidrive. Absolutely a MUST to have Pozidrive bits in #2, #3, (#4 is good to get for primary cover large screws, but in a pinch #3 will often work). Pozidrive actually grips tighter than allen wrench until someone distorts it with a Philips. Pozidrive bits hard to come by. eBay or Snap-on is where I get mine. Get spares #2,3.

Trust me you'll use every one of them if you do your own repairs. I had a '70 TR6C when I bought them. I still need them all the time on my '73 Tiger.

Shop ebay & Triumph parts places. Doesn't seem to matter country of origin. What matters is the wall thickness of the sockets & box ends. Thinner gives much needed clearance. Generally the higher quality are thinner. Sometimes you'll need to grind the socket or ring a little thinner.

Sorry if you already have all the other tools. Just in case I gave a few thoughts.
Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’m guessing your Bonneville is quite an ancient one if it needs Whitworth spanners and sockets. The good news is they are widely available - just search on eBay and there are a number of manufacturers still offering them (ranging from budget unbranded ones up to expensive King Dick).

There are probably others on here with more experience of old Triumphs that will be able to advise on particular sixes you will need.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Ancient..."

Strewth mate, really?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts