Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sometimes you will run into a situation where you may need a whitworth tool to get a part off. When i was doing my semi-resto to my Trident, i found that the whitworth tools fit the part i was working on the best, as it was made to work on old Triumphs. That being said it really comes down to which ones you really need to work on the bike. In the end you dont want to have to replace items that you were trying to repair/work on because you opted to use something that was close enough. I know from experience.....

Joe

·
Registered
396 Posts
You'll be tempted to use SAE or metric - but I've inadvertently damaged many bolt heads and nuts by using a wrench or socket that was "close". You'll get away with it for a few times, but eventually you'll round it off and have to find another to replace it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I just went through that same search and found a few on-line UK vendors that sold UK or German tools that ended up cheaper shipped over than the same thing bought in the USA. Figure that.

I refuse to by asian imports.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I just went through that same search and found a few on-line UK vendors that sold UK or German tools that ended up cheaper shipped over than the same thing bought in the USA. Figure that.

I refuse to by asian imports.
+1 on that brother! The UK ain't really that much further than California or Florida from me. I'm a couple miles from British Only and can get quality parts from the UK for less including the shipping. BO won't accept walk in purchases :rolleyes: otherwise I'd probably be in there every weekend. With regards to shipping from the UK, a larger order helps. My wife has lots of family and friends in the UK so I have no problem sending my money over there.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have a 67 bonny. Do I need whitworth tools to work on this bike? Wrenches and sockets?
I believe you will need Whitworth tools especially for the engine. I think, starting in 1968 due to the popularity of their products in the U.S., Triumph embarked on a program of switching fasteners to UNF. Most, if not all, of the fasteners of frame parts on my '70 are UNF. You will also need BA spanners for small electrical nuts and bolts too.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
+1 on that brother! The UK ain't really that much further than California or Florida from me. I'm a couple miles from British Only and can get quality parts from the UK for less including the shipping. BO won't accept walk in purchases :rolleyes: otherwise I'd probably be in there every weekend. With regards to shipping from the UK, a larger order helps. My wife has lots of family and friends in the UK so I have no problem sending my money over there.
BO won`t transact walk in business because then they can`t overcharge for shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a 67 bonny. Do I need whitworth tools to work on this bike? Wrenches and sockets?
You need mikes, thread gages too.
You def need whitworth. however you'll probnably find a few bolts that have been used in retaped holes of all variation. When you disassemble anything, mike the head if you can, and always put the same bolts backin the same hoes.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
BO won`t transact walk in business because then they can`t overcharge for shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Living in Oz, I do not have too many options. UK, US , or NZ.

I think some firms feel that overcharging on the ACTUAL freight costs are justified by the packing and handling charge. Some are better than others of course.

I recall some time ago I purchases an axle for my rider mower from the US east coast. It weighed about a pound. I paid US$18.00 for the thing and then a whopping 75 bucks for delivery. It was still cheaper than purchased in Oz, but they certainly made some money from the freight charges on that item. RR

·
Registered
221 Posts
i buy all my tools from ebay . all used second hand... old tools ,,,saves a few dollars , which you can then spend on your triumph:eek:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i buy all my tools from ebay . all used second hand... old tools ,,,saves a few dollars , which you can then spend on your triumph:eek:
Back in the day when Japanese tools were considered very 2nd class, I purchased lots of them. They have been good quality tools as it turned out. Hobby mechanics do not need the top dollar tools. For all practical purposes (there may be a few exceptions) the cheaper brands do the job.

Recently I've been buying Fuller tools. They do the job and are not expensive. RR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts