Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the largest tyre size I can get on the front of a 2004 speedy without mods?

I have been scouring the forum for difinative answers, I really want whitewalls, but I cant find a 110/80 R18 here in the UK.

It seems that I can probably squeeze a 130/70 18 on there which I can get as a whitewall (continental I think), but not a matching rear.
Will this rub on the sides of the guard mount?

Or I can get a matching set of Maxxis, they do the right rear size of 170/80 R15, but the fronts are 120/90 R18, I have seen some post that say some fit and some don't depending on the manufacturer.

I can raise the fender up a bit if needed, but I would rather run stock if I can.

Anyone using Maxxis?

Know of Whitewalls that fit a speedy as standard that i can get here in the UK??

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well have decided to go with Maxxis, called Maxxis UK and asked about sizing.

If anyone else decideds the same this is what you need to know.

They said the rear is a total size match at 170/80 R15, but the front is a swap from 110/80/R18 to a 120/90.

All manufacturers tyres are slightly different, they said the actual difference between my Avons in width is less than 1cm, so no issues.
But the height difference in going to be 2cm, more than I thought.

Measuring the height of the front mudguard bracket under the mudguard, the gap between the tyre and the bracket is 2cm.

So a Mod will be needed.

I haven't got the tyres yet but have started prep on a solution, I could go for an extension, weld a tab on, make a bracket etc, but there seemed to be an easier way. So I have cut slots in the guard bracket below the bolt holes, these will allow for the 2-3mm rise I will need once the tyres are fitted, but could revert back if I change my mind in the future.

They fit very well and slide up and down as required, hard to see the slots once bolted on, will now tidy up the slots and make them straight, will post pics of the tyres once they are on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like you're well down the road to putting on the Maxxis whitewalls, but for others interested in that look, I just came across this product the other day: Port-O-Wall Tire Ribbons
Seems like it would be worth a try, especially if you have an older set of tires to test on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did look at them and contact the UK distributor.

The answer was they would fit on older style "retro" and "heritage" style radial tyres, but would not fit well on modern tyres.

Shame as I really like the idea of keeping the standard tyre sizes, they were £70 for the pair here in the UK, about half the cost of two new Maxxis.

If anyone has tried them, please let me know?

·
Registered
153 Posts
£70 a pair isn't bad, I'm 50/50 on the idea of white walling my 03 speedy.

BTW, Where'd you get your black rev counter surround?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there, I eventually bought the Maxxis, so glad I did, but that started a whole new Journey to deal with the increased radius of the front tyre moving from a 110/70 to a 120/90, about a 4cm increased rolling radius.

I have now bought a new shorter front fender from PJ Fibreglass, who worked with me to modify thier thunderbird glass fibre version with raised brackets (pictures soon to be posted).

The tacho surround (now speedo surround) is the stock speedy one.
As this is plastic with chrome effect paint, I keyed it with 1000 grit paper, used a halfords etch primer and then sprayed with satin black and finished with a satin lacquer.

It may not stand up to abuse long term, but it's so easy to take off and re-paint if I need to, I was happy to take the risk, 3 months on and still looks perfect.

Pic with new tyres and modified standard fender / brackets, new fender painted today and will be fitted next week once lacquer has dried and been cut back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks stunning,worth the trouble methinks!!
Also thanks for the info about sizes,have been thinking about putting a set on the America but would be interested to hear how the Maxxis handle,don't know much about the brand but believe they are made in the Far East somewhere?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the new aftermarket fender from PJ Fibreglass arrived, gave it a good paint and lacquer, then left it for 2 weeks whilst away.

Sanded and polished and fitted in just 10 mins (Pete did a very good job creating the brackets!).
Perfect clearance for the 120 profile above and at the sides.

Very impressed with the results, I thought I would cut it back more, but on reflection it's better than a full fender and will at least catch some crap from the wheel, something I hated when I removed it altogether and got covered in stone chips and muck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts