Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Racing Yellow of my baby but I can see how quickly the yellow has faded in certain spots. In addtion to that the previous owner tipped the bike in a garage against another motorcycle and the tank has some paint chips in it that was touched up with Corvette Yellow, not a great match but better than bare metal. I was thinking of doing a white paint job, with the flat black belly but I'm not too sure how that would look. I've always wanted a white bike anyway but just want to hear some opinions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a pearl white would be more up my alley but I don't know so much now that I see what it looks like. Thanks for the photo. Mabey I'll stay with yellow and save up some cash and do the body work and get it sprayed the same color. Only thing is that it will cost so much more than spraying with a rattle can myself. I've done that before and with the right prep everything turns out alright.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Bear in mind that photo is a quick (and limited skill with) edit of my bike in photo.net. It would take me about a million years to actually make it Pearl. In fact, the only other color I've considered painting my bike is Lucifer Orange. Try as I might I can't edit my bike picture to even come close to looking like true LO. White is OK IMHO but it just doesnt grab me and I guess its because you see it on the more modern Triples. Maybe if you use a different color for the lettering (yellow, lucifer orange, etc with black border)? I have also wondered what the graphite/yellow lettering combo from a 675 would look like on a D12!
Anyhow, I used rattle can for my white number plate. It was paint for outdoor plastic furniture. It seems to be holding up rather well (and would have looked much better if I had done it during the day!) I messed up the black line as I taped it off instead of pinstriping. The black I used on the belly and the "Super III side panel" is holding up well on the side panels but not so hot on the belly... in fact I might need to touch it up again.
I was also contemplating having the whole bike professionally reshot in yellow/black but I need to make sure I can get the Daytona 1200 decals (white lettering/black border) and not the Super III decals (all black). I think it wouldn't be too expensive because it's really just a few areas that need attention and the base color is the dame as the new.
Good luck with your project and it's your choice. Do it, ride it, love it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just a bit apprehensive to take on that project myself and too cheap to spend money for someone else to do it. Eventually it will be done. When I painted my 87 CBR 1000F, I did a dark blue metallic and it turned out to look great, then towards the end of my ownership of it I painted it a charcoal metallic and due to time constraints and poor attitude that job turned out poor. It's all about prep work. I know Bikebandit sells decals for a 95' and up which does me no good since I am probably one of the few people in the states to have a 93'.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Too cheap....... Naw man, it just means you have to save a little longer. Life is too short to not get what you want. Save up a bit and have the paint work done by a professional. You will not regret it as the difference in the look and performance of the product will be worth it. There is nothing worse than to have something all painted up nice and spill a bit of gasoline on it and the paint come running off with the gas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point, l like your style. If I did all the prep work I don't think it would be too bad, plus I know a guy that does body work and if my prep work was decent he would probably spray for less than $500. I have to get some body fliller and touch up a ding and some road rash but I don't think it will be too much work. I owned a old Ford pick up truck in Pennsylvania so I'm familiar with Bondo. Plus mabey a pearl white metallic would be pretty nice and that's something I'd leave to a professional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts