Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I bought an 07 Sprint ST 1050 with 2,600 miles on the clock 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it! :)

A quick (possiblly daft) question, do all ST 1050's make a whirring/buzzing noise about 30 seconds after the engine is switched off lasting about 7 seconds?

I can't find anything about it on this forum so it may be unique to me!

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's a new one on me.
Does your alarm arm OK? Cause that sounds about when the alarm should be arming.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome - I think a mod/admin will be along soon to ask you to read the stickies, so I won't :)

As to your question it's said in the UK - "they all do that sir"

Yes they all do it it's to do with the ECU and various sensors re-setting...

No, it's not unique to you

Funnily enough I often get a whining noise just before I go out for a ride but once I'm out of earshot I don't hear her anymore :D

Pickle - I can't believe you have not heard it ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard the start up whirring when the fuel pump primes, but I've never heard anything like that after I turn the ignition off.
I wondered if it was the stepper motor that controls the idle valve or something like that?

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's just the tracking GPS sending a detail report (speed at timed intervals, acceleration from stops, decelerations from max velocity, lean angles at changes of direction, etc) and your whereabouts during the previous trip. The sound is just the modem firing off a burst transmission to satellite, sort of like a cell phone, but noisier. Didn't you read that in the Owner's Manual? Copies are sent to your spouse, the MC police and your insurance carrier.:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup my '08 does it as well...

I kind of think of it as her gurgling like a baby does when it's happy/satisfied... (i.e. returned home in one piece) :):):):)

·
Premium Member
2017 Rocket III Roadster
2,022 Posts
Haha, I thought it was a getting a fax! That's what it sounds like. :D

I had the tank off once, and saw the idle speed control adjusting itself, so the mystery is solved! :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies, I didn't think anything was wrong but I wanted to put my mind at rest.

The fax machine/modem is a very good desription of it! I'm surprised I couldn't find a mention of it on the forum.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Takes me longer than that to remove the gloves, then the helmet and then the ear plugs so I never noticed.

Idle air control motor returning to the parked position makes sense. I know the cooling fan turns off with the ignition switch so it ain't that.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Never heard anything like that at all on my 05. Are you sure its not the antifreeze burbling back into the overflow bottle at the end of a ride?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2008 does it. The fax machine analogy is very good. Sounds similar to a fax machine starting up and kicking out a page, with just a few added other sounds added in for listening pleasure.

I'm usually off the bike, gloves removed and just starting to get the helmet off when it "purrrrs" to me. :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Rocket III Roadster
2,022 Posts
Never heard anything like that at all on my 05. Are you sure its not the antifreeze burbling back into the overflow bottle at the end of a ride?
Not unless the antifreeze burbles from the top of the engine! :D

Shut your Sprint off and wait about 20-30 seconds, and you'll hear it coming from under the gas tank. It's fairly loud on my Sprint.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah mine 08 does it to... a selection of mechanical whirring noises for a few seconds... I thought it was weird at first, now I barely notice it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually called Triumph about this after purchasing my 07. They said this is normal and is the trip data "downloading", for lack of a better term. It happens anytime you start up the bike and then shut it down. Doesn't matter if you ride it or not. They assured me this is normal.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's an 07+ characteristic.

The ECU stays alive after shutdown to save settings, read the time from the instrument cluster and set the ISC stepper up for the next start. It's the stepper that makes the noise. Following all of that you can hear the ECU relay click open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts