Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 ST ignition switch was playing silly-buggers with me tonight and I thought I may have to give up and call for a ute!!
It started mucking-up a year ago and I managed to extend its life a bit by cable-tying the lead to the barrel but I need to get serious now and fix it.
What's the good oil?
A low-mileage 2nd-hand one? (maybe from a 1050? maybe from a Jap bike?)
A fix-up (reconditioning)?
An aftermarket replacement?
Thanks muchly
Clem

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not a Triumph, but I had a similar problem on my Yamaha XT earlier this year. It would run fine, but then cut out when I turned the lights on, or activated the brake. It started doing this while on the road, leading to a couple of interesting moments of coasting to a halt in heavy traffic before I could get it started again. I traced it to an old, worn and dirty ignition switch, and since I replaced this all has been well.

For the Yam it was only about 30GBP and a couple of hours' work. Not sure about your bike, but it was well worth it from a safety and convenience viewpoint. Trying to bodge a faulty switch is OK for emergencies, but in the long run 'get 'er done'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts