Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here it goes looking for advise ------ which model year to buy? open to sugestions pros an cons ps second bike ken

:???:

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you're talking exclusively about the Tiger, I think you will have to wait for the '07's to be released and see what owners of the '07 think. It is too early to know how the '07 is going to compare to previous models.

[ This message was edited by: OKCTriple on 2006-11-16 06:19 ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would think it may depend somewhat on how much you have to spend and what your focus is. I'm assuming you are talking about '06 and previous versus the new '07. If its anything else it would be good to clarify your request.
I bought a 2006 almost a year ago and have been pretty pleased with it. If I were buying today and had a choice between the '06 and '07 I might wait a bit and test ride an '07. My first inkling is that I would still likely buy the 2006 because I wanted at least minimal dirt capability and the '06 has the advantage of already having things like crash bars developed for it. The aftermarket for the '07 will take some time to catch up.
The idea of a bike that is lighter, more power and has optional ABS does appeal to me quite a bit and thus makes the '07 at least worthy of consideration.
Really a matter of thinking through your priorities and making a decision of which suits you best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your right, I dont particulary care for the looks of the 07, so its 06 to 98 not to particular for off road dont bounce that well any more I want one to compliment my r1200rt always liked the tiger been riding triumphs since 68 this is the year to buy one

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ken,

Don't know enough about the steamers to comment.

Of the 955 girlies, it seems the suspension gets firmed up from 2004 ( I think) as well as gaining mag wheels. This may make them better on-road, but you'll have to ask the owners of those models about that.

If you are planning to venture further 'off-tarmac' than dirt roads or the occasional two track, then the earlier spoked wheels (01-03) are more robust for this and easier to repair if you do bend them.

Waiting for a test ride to see if the 07 is for me. If not then I'm researching a 21' front wheel conversion in the new year to make the old girl more dirt capable.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've never ridden any Tiger other than my '06 so can' comment on earlier versions. It was my understanding that the suspension was firmed up in the last couple of years. I would say thats a good thing because the front is none too firm as it is.
I personally prefer never to buy bikes with tube type tires if at all possible. I consider it a major safety issue. Given that I would want one late enough to have mags or possibly have the spoked models sealed so they will run tubeless.
They seem to be pretty solid bikes, nothing really exotic or ground breaking in there, just good solid, proven engineering.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It all depends on what you intend to do,if your going to run a stock bike,then the pro's and con's might lean(just) towards 05/06 with the mag wheels,slightly quicker steering and no innertubes,if you ever thought about a 17" then it would have to be 01/04 as the steering head angle on the latter ones is too steep.

Don't be fooled that some years are better than others,Triumph stock suspension can only be called average at best.

Which ever one you choose i'd make it a 955,i'd be more swayed by price and condition than model,it'll make a good comparo to your Beemer as mine does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just changed from an 03 to an 06. I would certainly say that the handling is better on the 06. Also cleaning the old spoked wheels was a real pain. Pity about the silver frame as the black was better, but who cares about looks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

Assuming that we are discussing the 955i and not the new 07 Tiger, I would go for as new a model as possible.

Although not always obvious., Triumph have done minor tweeks over the years.

I have an 05 model year, but the 06 is slightly improved. Triumph changed the head to the sprint design and improved the gearbox, (the gearbox can be notchy). Looking at the engine, unless you were an expert, you probably couldn't spot the difference. The colours are the easiest give away. They dropped orange and green and brought out black and blue. The only common colour to both 05 and 06 model years was silver.

Similarly the 05 model year was improved over the earlier models. Mine has cast wheels, a centre stand, heated grips and panniers.

No question about it the later the better.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Interesting gents you say handling?? what do you mean by that,almost certainley with the steeper head angle it will steer quicker but that ain't handling.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ahhh - handling, the talk of many a bar room evening!

Compared to my old Steamer, my current 06 handles better but even my Steamer handled fine when I modded the chassis geometry slightly - yep, raised the forks 25mm through the yolks to quicken the steering.

So for the road, I'd rather have the geometry of the cast wheel models.

It takes a lot to impress me in the handling department after owning a Ducati but the way that the Tiger can handle ANY road situation under ANY load is so impressive. Jack of all trades which can keep up with so-called sports bikes in the twisties.

Jon

·
Registered
254 Posts
'06' against my old 03 !

I made a mistake trading my 03 Tiger to try something different. I am back on a Tiger, an 06, which I have owned for 3 or 4 months. As i did not ride them back to back as such, it is hard to make a real comparison, however i did have hagons front and rear on my 03, and what a great ride that was. My 06 is certainly firmer and I have not, to date, felt the need to replace stock springs ( yet !!)
Certainly the wheels are a blessing on the later models if you like cleaning !! I have seen on the 06 they modified the gearbox for even better shifting ?? My 03 was a peach gear changing and my current one is starting to loosen up a bit with 2K now showing !
Certainly I would go for the last of the 955 Tigers. Well and truly sorted !

:-D :-D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree with latest comment, better to have the last of the 06 rather than the first of teh 07. Wait til glitches sorted in two years and then decide, in the meantime enjoy the 06 and smile ear to ear even in the rain and wind!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thank all for the advice, Ijust p/u a 02 model w/500 original miles for 5g's I did ride a 06 sweet bike. its a nice green one always liked the color now I have my TIGER :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts