Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Which tyres

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  CanberraR3 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

The front tyre on my 2015 Tiger Explorer is getting very thin on the tread front.
It currently has Metzeller Tourance front and rear. I have had a few slides with them and the bike feels very vague in fast bends.

I have looked at the "Tourance Next", which I believe are fitted to the newer Explorers and also more road biased tyres like Michelin Road 5 and Dunlop Roadsmart 3.
The rear tyre has very little wear on it, so I'm thinking that if I go down the Tourance or Tourance Next route, I can get away with just the front, but if I go for a road tyre, I will need a pair.

What are you guys and girls using?

Arai.

#6 ·
A few of you have commented about tyres being noisy.
I had never thought about tyre noice on a bike as I would have thought the wind noise (particularly on the Tiger) would have been worse than any tyre noise.

As I have never taken the Tiger on dirt, I'm thinking the Pilot road is going to be the best option.

Thanks for your advice guys.

#8 ·
A few of you have commented about tyres being noisy.

I had never thought about tyre noice on a bike as I would have thought the wind noise (particularly on the Tiger) would have been worse than any tyre noise.

As I have never taken the Tiger on dirt, I'm thinking the Pilot road is going to be the best option.

Thanks for your advice guys.
The tourence next front on my 1200 sounds like a dump truck....haha. Womp womp womp womp at speed.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The Anakee 3 rear is noisy but I got almost 14k miles out of it. The front was done at 10k.
I like having a 90/10 or 80/20 set on my XRx as I do find myself on dirt occasionally.
I tried a Shinko 705 rear but it's about done with 6k miles, so I'm looking at a replacement but it won't be another Shinko. (I have a K60 on the front that hardly looks worn). I'm not sure yet whether to put an E-07+ on the rear, another A3 or something else. The front already hums, not sure if I want a whole chorus.

#10 ·
Bridgestone A41

Just fitted A41 ( 110/80/19) front 150/70/17 rear on my xrx low , very good feeling and stability. I think they have fast crown, which feels good.
the only thing that i noticed is that the front is noisy. i don't know if it is the thread or something else.

#18 ·
Bridgestone A41

Just fitted A41 ( 110/80/19) front 150/70/17 rear on my xrx low , very good feeling and stability. I think they have fast crown, which feels good.
the only thing that i noticed is that the front is noisy. i don't know if it is the thread or something else.
An Update

2000 km with A41 110/80/19 front , the noise is awful,,, caused by the tread in conjunction with the front fender. seems the fender amplifies the noise and it is very annoying .
never again!

#13 ·
I did the ADV Rally out in Julian CA this weekend and put about 600 miles on the Avons...
On the road they felt great. Honestly its hard to say they were better than stock as I my real memory of the stock tires is a memory of when they were worn down with over 6k miles on them.
BUT I really like these tires and feel good about the selection.
They definitely look more aggressive than the stock, but are still 90/10. I was able to tackle one 6 mile off-road trail with some pretty sandy sections. I dont have alot of off road experience and I got thru with no problems.

Definitely a thumbs up for the Avon Trailrider

#14 ·
The Tourance Next... more questions

Hi guys.. & gals

I ride almost exclusively on the road hence my XRT.

I've 44 years of road riding experience and before that a few in the dirt (farm bikes). I've pretty much always owned at least 1 bike.

Since my reintroduction to owning Triumphs again in 2004 I have become a big fan of the Michelin "Road" and "Power range", having used many sets of both as well as other brands on my Sprint ST and Sprint GT and Daytona 955i.

I've only 1300kms on my new XRT and the Metzeler Tourance Next that came stock feel pretty good to me on the road, dry and damp conditions so far no full rain.

They seem to turn in quickly and seem to have very good grip on mixed bitumen surfaces in damp and bone dry conditions.
My front tyre is to the edges and I have not experienced anything but confidence-inspiring grip and handling on the road to date. This experience as stated is early days but is both solo and two up.

I have not so far experienced the noise referred nor yet the "slides" referred to here by previous posts, so I am very interested in those comments being explained a bit further.
For example under what conditions did these issues occur.

As I am a very broad-shouldered and stocky 5'10" solid built guy at 102kgs (224lbs) (think Silverback).
I run the tyre so far at around the 36fnt and 42rear.

Interested in others experiences with the Metzeler Tourance Next.
Also interested about the "slide"I don't like the sound of that and have never read any rider having that experience on these tyres before.

Thanks
DaveM:smile2:

#15 ·
I've been running Shinko 705's on my 16 XRT 800. I scrape pegs on the road and they feel good enough to do some packed dirt/gravel trails. No issues. They are a little noisy compared to pure road tires, but they feel really really good. Just keep it under 85. The closer to 90 you get the front end gets washy.

#17 ·
I realise this discussion appears mostly about road oriented options but on my 800 XCX I’m running Motoz Tractionator GPS. They are definitely a bit more off-roady than many of you are looking for BUT as a Road tyre they are amazing. Grip through corners is as good as any road tyre I’ve tried on my Sprint RS or even my Thruxton and certainly better than the Bridgestones the Tiger came with. I recently went through the Victorian high country roads and around the Snowys and bested several sport bikes. Good mileage too. An advantage is that the rear is reversible for more aggressive off road use. If you’re planning a predominantly off road adventure or just like to keep your options open they could be worth trying. One negative is that under hard acceleration in the wet you will see the traction control light flicker a bit, I think largely due to the centre rib.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.