Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been ruminating for some time about replacing my 2020 Street Triple 765 RS, with either a Tiger 1050 Sport or Tiger 850 Sport or 900 GT Pro
Although I love the 765 for a local Twisties bike, and don’t really want to part with it, I find myself doing more weekends away to twisty roads further away.
Occasionally I come across gravel roads , although its not something I search out, it does happen from time to time and I hate the thought off taking my 765 on gravel roads, its not that I hate dirt (I rode enduro and adventure bikes until a few years back) I just don’t want to spoil the appearance.
I feel the seating position would also be better as I find the 765 puts more weight through my arms than Id like.(I just turned 60) The suspension of the Tiger would hopefully handle the crap roads we have around here better too.
If my understanding is correct the 850 is a detuned 900, having less torque and hp. but does it really make much difference out on the ride ?

As much as I love all the tech on the 900 Gt Pro, it can be a PITA sometimes, as your locked in to OEM parts etc. The thing that comes to mind with this is heated grips. I tend to use heated gloves over heated grips and as such like to fit my preferred grips (Pro grip Rally grips) on all my bikes. Would this be possible with the integrated heated grips ?
Interested to hear ppl thoughts, particularly if you own/owned a street triple.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the 900 GT (not Pro) and it was the perfect compromise for me (although I really like the paint colors on the 850 better). I didn't want the quick-shifter and electronic suspension that came on the Pro. I've had bad experiences with electronic suspensions in the past. And hearing all the headaches with the bluetooth that others are having, I'm glad I didn't pay for a system that doesn't seem to work consistently. I can bluetooth my earbuds to my Garmin and listen to directions and music. The GT has heated grips and cruise control and I have really enjoyed it since I got it in January.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the 900 GT (not Pro) and it was the perfect compromise for me (although I really like the paint colors on the 850 better). I didn't want the quick-shifter and electronic suspension that came on the Pro. I've had bad experiences with electronic suspensions in the past. And hearing all the headaches with the bluetooth that others are having, I'm glad I didn't pay for a system that doesn't seem to work consistently. I can bluetooth my earbuds to my Garmin and listen to directions and music. The GT has heated grips and cruise control and I have really enjoyed it since I got it in January.
Yes I'm starting to think along the same lines, but I do like the better front suspension on the Pro.

·
Registered
Tiger 900
27 Posts
I bought the 900 GT (not Pro) and it was the perfect compromise for me...
I went in to buy a GT Pro, but they didn't have any available for many months, so I went with just the GT. I think if you really want the extras on the Pro, then yes the price difference is definitely worth it. But for me,

1. Heated Seats - not important since I don't find the stock seat comfortable enough. So I'll be changing it any way.
2. Fog Lights - not important since I don't like the factory lights for both placement and light color/pattern.
3. Connectivity Module - not important since it's only turn-by-turn and it seems to be unreliable for many.
4. Custom Rider Mode - not important at all.
5. Electronic Suspension - not important since I don't find myself switching suspension settings often.
6. TPMS - cool feature, but again not necessary for me, and I might add it when I get new tires.
7. Shift Assist - very cool feature, but not necessary for me at all, and I can add it later for not a lot of money.
8. Center Stand - Major oversight by Triumph not including it, but I already added it to my bike.

So all in all, I'm looking at $200 for center stand, and maybe $250 for TPMS in like a year's time. Happy with the non-pro and I can use the difference in the price to get more comfortable aftermarket seats, better auxiliary lights, etc.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,300 Posts
The 850 HP is down on the 900 but the torque is not far off. I suspect they've tuned it for good mid-range but not to rev out so far. People say good things about it on tests etc.

You could fit aftermarket heated grips over the GT grips without a problem, but doubling up seems a bit of a waste. The stock heated grips are fine and there are people on here who have Grip Puppies over them and still get good heat. I only use mine for a few minutes on high, then quickly down to lowest setting or off. My only gripe about them is the tiny button they have which can be tricky to find with a glove on.

The Bluetooth system can be a total fail at times. I've not tried to link phone for calls or music but it needs to connect for their GPS and sometimes it doesn't want to connect. The GPS app and arrows for turns etc is not worth anything. It's slow to update if you change from the route it suggests, and can leave turn directions to the last fifty metres, which on a multi-lane road can be dangerous.

PS. Your pic at the top looks like that unused industrial area up near Kurri. It's a good metaphor for the Tiger's GPS system. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 850 HP is down on the 900 but the torque is not far off. I suspect they've tuned it for good mid-range but not to rev out so far. People say good things about it on tests etc.

You could fit aftermarket heated grips over the GT grips without a problem, but doubling up seems a bit of a waste. The stock heated grips are fine and there are people on here who have Grip Puppies over them and still get good heat. I only use mine for a few minutes on high, then quickly down to lowest setting or off. My only gripe about them is the tiny button they have which can be tricky to find with a glove on.

The Bluetooth system can be a total fail at times. I've not tried to link phone for calls or music but it needs to connect for their GPS and sometimes it doesn't want to connect. The GPS app and arrows for turns etc is not worth anything. It's slow to update if you change from the route it suggests, and can leave turn directions to the last fifty metres, which on a multi-lane road can be dangerous.

PS. Your pic at the top looks like that unused industrial area up near Kurri. It's a good metaphor for the Tiger's GPS system. :)
I'm still pondering over the 850 sport, but leaning more to the 900 GT and adding what I want.
Pic is coming down from Sugarloaf, heading west.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings, I'm a complete newcomer on this community. I just signed up a short while ago. I currently ride a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750cm3 (2005), which is my first larger bike, rather than a Triumph. had that Guzzi for three years. I chose to register on this site because I might switch to a used Triumph Tiger 800. The Moto Guzzi V85TT (white, red, and yellow) would be perfect for me, but they are still prohibitively pricey. Therefore, I'm interested in hearing all opinions about those smaller Tiger bikes, including those about various year models and models. Do some need to be avoided or do some make greater catches than others? What should I look for in used bikes? If I'm not entirely wrong

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello,
I am a new Tiger owner as well. I went with the 900 GT Pro and so far I am very pleased with the bike. I bought this version with the idea of taking longer rides and taking along a pillion occasionally. I can understand that many people don’t really want or need the extra gizmos, I am not a huge tech fan myself. I went with the Pro because I will be switching back and forth between suspension settings depending upon if my wife is coming along that day or not. I can’t really say much about the Bluetooth yet, I have only done the initial pairing but have not used it for navigation as yet. To be honest, I will probably get a mount for my phone as I much prefer the map version for navigation over turn-by-turn.
After having spent many years on naked bikes I do appreciate the wind protection from the screen. I like the quickshifter, it smooths out gear changes especially with a passenger. The heated accessories will come in handy here in the northeast US when Autumn sets in.
Although very subjective, I find the seat is pretty good but a bit oddly contoured. I am able to move around on it throughout the day and can find a comfortable place to sit. I may look for a more comfortable aftermarket option for this.
I don’t know if there is a “perfect” bike that does everything we want in all situations. So far, for all around riding pleasure the Tiger 900 GT Pro is working out very well.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought it time I added an update on my purchase.
I picked up a 2019 Sport a week or so back at a good price. Ive only done the 100 kilometre ride home on it to date and will take me a little while to get used to the size and weight compared to the 765.

I still have the 765, seems the secondhand market here in Oz has slowed considerably. Happy to hold steady on my asking price and enjoy both bikes while I have them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts