Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
If you are using the Skyking sliders, which ones. Front of engine long ones, or top rear of engine short ones. I have read all posted topics related to this, but don't know if one is better than other or to get both. I would just like to get some security on my new 9k investment in case I drop it or knock it over. I added the front fly screen and belly pan of a bit better look IMO.I'm also looking at a rad/cooler grill cover to help save them a bit from stones and debris. I'm going to make a mod to the rear plate/tail light section for some better aesthetics, and that's about all for now. I'm 5'9" 170lbs and I have about two years of riding under my belt. I have had my close calls, but nothing big. This will be my forth bike over all, but my first NEW. Just looking for some good advise. Looking to pick it up next week. Here we goooooo. :-D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome to a modern sport bike !

Definitely get the front sliders, they are cheap insurance like you said. I am 6'3" so I passed on the rear one for fear of knee busting wheelies.
Some of the stumpy guys here will have to let you know about the rear ones. I would get both if its possible!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If you can only afford one set, get the front mounted ones by the radiator. It'll save your rad and possibly your handlebars and mirrors. I've got all 3 sets front to back and luckily haven't had to test them yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have done a few mods so far, and next I would like to add the sliders. I was looking a the Sky King front sliders for that little bit of insurance. Is it worth it to add the rear wheel ones to the order? Anyone have a good pics of how they look/mount up? Do they really help that much more than just the front ones? Thx, Aptech77

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yeah go for the front mont bobbins. the others are way too close to your knees.
use that front bolt option. the closest to you compromises your mobility.
-- my pref' anyway...

edit: i have top of engine long ones. never "in the way"
and will provide what they are used for.

[ This message was edited by: zooplancton on 2006-12-10 00:38 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
trying to find some "that i want" still.
willing to pay a machinist, but can't find one to build the ones i want...
sliders are good.

case sliders, axle sliders, etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have unfortunately crash tested the front mount, and swingarm (through the hub) sliders from skyking, and the only issue is that my rad mounted turn signal caught the ground and tweaked my radiator slightly, and bent the end cover (obviously). So long answer short, I would change the turn signals to something that doesn't stick out as far and they would work very well. The rear wheel was unscathed, and probably would not have been otherwise.

[ This message was edited by: StuckInKansas on 2006-12-11 03:54 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
I went with R&G racing complement of crash protection, (Fork, swingarm spindle and engine front).

I had my dealer put a set on the rear of the engine that were mounted on an offset bracket of sorts and so I have never had any issues with my knees bashing the sliders and I'm 6'4"..only problem is for the life of them they cant figure out what sliders they are.. I had the privilege of testing them last summer after hitting a patch of hydraulic oil and they did their job and saved the bike so when I approached them to have them replaced we couldnt figure out what they were as the parts guy that ordered them initially is no longer with them and the manufacterer details weren't specified on my invoice sheet.

For the engine rear LSL's might be a notable option, they have an offset bracket and make great stuff.

The only damage to the bike was cosmetic to the clutch cover.. Check out the GSG crash protectors for the Clutch and Sator cases.

As for the radiator and oil cooler, get thee to 'steves grilles' and get a set of simple yet perfectly effective radiator covers that many of us have.

·
Registered
215 Posts
+1 for mikes grilles, I have 'em, and I think they look the best. They're the cheapest too.

[ This message was edited by: StuckInKansas on 2006-12-11 15:48 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts