Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just had my Sprint MOT'ed. Although it passed with flying colours the garage told me that one of my handle bars was slightly bent, which didn't surprise me as something didnt feel 100% right when riding it on the Motorway long distance.
The problem is, the garage, not being a triumph garage could not tell me which one.
Can anybody tell me how I should be measuring the handlebars to firstly check thta one is bent and then the right measurements so I can tell which one I need to replace.

Thanks

Andy

Sorry should have said its a 2005 model with standard height handlebars.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Look for the one with the scratched bar end? Check with a straight edge? Never, ever, go to that garage again?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I can't imagine what the reaction to a MOT-type inspection in the US would be… …

I mean like how do you put up with it?????

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
When I wrecked my Sprint earlier this year, I stripped and removed the handlebars, put them together on a known flat surface to compare them to see if one was bent. Since they looked like the mirror image of each other, I was confident they were straight. Checking with a straight edge and measuring confirmed what I was looking at.
Kit would be correct that the one with the scuffed bar end weight, or the scuffed or bent lever would be the culprit.
I talked to a Brit on my recent trip out west, and he told me about some of the stuff that you all have to put up with with the MOT. I don't envy you one bit.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Imagine trying to pass, each year, 8-15 year old 140K+ miles ratty, tatty, abused,crashed,rebuilt on a shoestring budget Courier Bike...when your Bike is your job.........no MOT=fine,possible loss of income........I'm glad I'm not going through that anymore!!!!!! :)

( My Kawasaki's brakes were so solid one year, I almost 1/2 pulled the Stations brake tester off the wall!!!!)........other times, not so erm well prepared!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responces guys.

I supose we just put up with it cause we have to. Its a pain having to change licence plates over and put tape over certain parts of your exhaust so the "not for road use" can't be seen - but................ :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts