Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do my first oil change. There seem to be two choices of oil weight listed: 10W-40 or 15W-50. What's the more appropriate for the Uk in spring/early summer? I shall be doing a swift trip to northern Italy at the end of May, if that has any bearing on anything. :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me too

I have done a search as I will be changing my oil within the next few days and was flumuxed also.
I have decided that the best option is to go with the Mobil Racing 4T 10w 40 as recommended by Triumph.

Bob

·
Registered
783 Posts
There are several threads on this topic. What I have found with my bike, is that with semi-synthetic, it uses about 1litre per 2000km.
I will be switching to full synthetic, 15-50.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The correct choice of engine oil is all about the ambient temperature of where you will be using the motorccyle.

A 15w oil is slightly heavier than a 10w oil and therefore more appropriate for warmer operating conditions.

Most manuals provide an ambient temp v's oil viscosity chart but I have looked in both the Haynes and Triumph manual and there is nothing there.

Typically 10w is good for -20 deg C and 15w -10 deg C. Hardly relevant to summer conditions!!!!!!!!!!

As you are UK based and using it in summer going to italy the 15w option may be more suitable.

However the manual states do not use 10w-50W oils which are heavier than 10w-40w oils

From this I would not use anything that has a 50W in it. Thefore use 10w-40w or 15w-40w

Either will not make a hapeth of difference.

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I've gone for the 10W-40 Castrol full-synth from Halfrauds. I know I could have saved by using fleabay, but cashflow is king, right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts