Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Loved your story of biking over the years. Being slightly older than you and having a older brother who bought a two year old '59 Bonnie in 1961/62, I can see where you are coming from.The light blue two tone tank looks like the original 60's models.
In those days we were led to believe that Japanese bikes were rubbish and any sensible rider had to buy British, that meant either Triumph or BSA as the main options. There was such rivalry between us kids and those two makes, not realising that BSA owned Triumph as well.(more rivalry with Italian scooters, but thats another story). After learning to ride on the road on a Triumph Tiger Cub it took years before ever wanting another Triumph,(worst bike I ever owned), in fact 2017 when I bought the T120 Bonnie in Black. Love it if only it was lighter, but now its in my garage and god only knows when it will get ridden again with the Spanish CV lockdown.
safe riding Tom.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My 1st Triumph was a 1969 Triumph 500cc scrambler, I wanted to be just like Steve McQueen...... maybe I still do???

That Scrambler had porous cases and always marked it's spot. The heads constantly warped, they were machined a few times then replace. Back then all motorcycle shops had a full machine shop, it was necessary to keep the bikes on the road. I carried spare Zener diodes on every ride because the Prince of Darkness was likely to strike again at any moment. I loved that bike and knew that was the price to pay for riding a Brit bike.

Paul

·
Registered
413 Posts
At the time we thought that the Lucas kit was the best on the market, Wypac and Miller used by other bike manufacturers seemed inferior. Must admit the dynamo and magneto system was far superior than early alternator electrics. How it was possible to ride at 80 MPH at night with six volt lights remains a mystery to me in old age. Leaking engines was the norm then as well, every week the bikes needed topping up, plus they used to burn oil.

BTW I am not offended by the term Brit. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
601 Posts
"BTW I am not offended by the term Brit. 🤣🤣🤣"

I'm so glad, because I just used that term in another post of mine.. is it considered derogatory? :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not to me, but the PC crowd might think so these days, they get upperty about most things.
I was however joking though.
From 2012 till 2017 I kept a bike in Europe for 8-10 week summer get a ways. Each year I'd join a group of about 40 riders mostly from the UK and Finland, (I was the sole American), for their annual 4-5 day of riding in the Alps. The guy/gals from the UK offen referred to themselves and others from the U K as Brits. Nope, they were not millennials, they were a bit more senor but not quit an old bugger like me. :rolleyes: There was nut'n PC about any of that group and nut'n PC about me either. I have always and will always call it as I see it. Those that are offended are free to retreat to their safe space. 😁

One of the Brits went by the handle of Raven and rode his black Goldwing like it was a sport bike. He showed me pictures of his youth when he rode a Brit bike and hung at the Ace Cafe. He was hard core rocker, all in, back then.

I really miss that group, great peeps they are.

Paul

·
Registered
601 Posts
"What made you choose the Triumph brand over say a Moto Guzzi VIII or a BMW R9T Pure or Scrambler?"

OP, sorry for the hijack. I'll accept my portion of the blame.. :) I can't speak for any of the others.

The main reason I didn't look at the ones you mentioned, is because I didn't even know what those were at the time I decided to buy another bike! No joke.. I had been out of the game for 14 yrs..lol
I saw an article in Cycle World by Peter Egan. After that read, I thought a T120 might be for me.. I have 2 Triumphs now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well tahtye,

When we came to live in Spain in 2004, my main concern was to build the house my late wife had designed, so my "plastic rocket" Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (less than four years old) had to go. Also sold my '73 MGBGT that one really hurt. But not the BSA, it stayed in my garage in England. So when it was time to start riding again the BSA came over and it took a year to get it registered with Spanish plates etc.
After my wife died I decided to spend some of my children's expected inheritance and buy another new bike. By then the new water-cooled T120 Bonnie had been out for a year, it looked the part, like the old ones and it was (I thought) made in Britain. Having once ridden a Moto Guzzi California I knew that type of bike was not for me, won't even say about BMW bikes. I did look at the Kawasaki retro 650cc twin but the Bonnie ticked all the boxes as my days of bending into a paperclip to ride a sports bike were gone long ago, plus speed no longer interests me. Just a shame its so bloody heavy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My previous ride probably weighed 750 lbs. The T120 @ 540 wet seemed pretty light. I expect many here are getting a little older now, (no disrespect meant) and not as strong as when we were young bucks. How about a new Panigale V4? I think sub-400 lbs. and 210hp?

I had a '77 MGB in BRG. I vowed I'd never own another Brit vehicle after that experience...lol. I did capitulate however when I bought the T120.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Engine displacements are similar across the model line, with performance defined mostly by tuning and weight. So, buy something you like the looks of.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My previous ride probably weighed 750 lbs. The T120 @ 540 wet seemed pretty light. I expect many here are getting a little older now, (no disrespect meant) and not as strong as when we were young bucks. How about a new Panigale V4? I think sub-400 lbs. and 210hp?

I had a '77 MGB in BRG. I vowed I'd never own another Brit vehicle after that experience...lol. I did capitulate however when I bought the T120.

Cheers!
Unfortunately you bought a MGB at the wrong time, those models had the power taken out of them with all the immission problems etc plus by then it was BLMC and the management were not very intelligent. Later they decided to close the MG plant at Abbingdon and discontinue the whole range, saying that the American market wanted the Triumph TR7 the worst design ever made. Most likely by a chap with a white stick and a dog. (or is that non PC to say that sort of thing now).

Mine was one of the last of the proper ones, but drank petrol when used in anger at a time when the price had gone through the roof.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Last off topic comment from me, I promise..

"Most likely by a chap with a white stick and a dog." Read this twice and it made me lol both times. (y)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it, unfortunately that was the story of our industrial collapse, too many stupid incompetent managers and commie unions trying to ruin the economy. They succeeded between them.

As for the BSA, I want a Viking Burial with it, it's been with me since I was seventeen.
You are so right about losing strength with getting older, you never see it coming that is the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had both a T-100 (2012) and now a T-120 (2017). There is frankly no real comparison other than they both carry the traditional Bonnie look. I spent a bunch of money improving the T-100, shocks, seat, wind screen, pipes, mirrors etc. It still had serious short comings, almost all of which were cured by the T-120. The T-120 has a 6 speed, larger more powerful motor, better shocks, heated grips, better lighting, water cooled and ride by wire, ride modes, lockable seat, instrumentation improvements, seat comfort, the list goes on. Probably because of the water cooling and 6 speed the gas miles improved 30% so now I can go 200 miles to fill instead of 125.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts