Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I already posted this on the tune ecu forum but they revered me to here.
Hope somebody can give me some reassurance. I have a 2011 speed triple 1050 abs, twin arrows without baffles, kn airfilter. I recently had my engine blow up (a piston On 2nd cilinder went through the engine casing). I swapped it with an engine from a speed triple R 1050 from 2014. The current map loaded is the 20471. My question: should I change the map to match the engine (I guess so) and which map will fit best as I don’t have a vin Nr from the new engine.
I already checked the pdf file with all the maps and found a map for a triple r with abs map nr. 20521. Should I use this one? Or leave it as is? Or use another map? Maybe someone with a speed triple R 2014 can verify the vin nr is before or after 735437. Thanks in advance for the replies hope you guys can help me.

·
Premium Member
8,862 Posts
I have fallen out of being current with the ECU generations on the newer models . BUT with regards to the earlier bikes 05-07.5 and 07.5-10 . It was the ECU that was different not the engine . You had to load a file to match your ECU . If the new engine has all the same harness and sensors and all the inputs are working correctly , you just need to set up the throttle bodies . IIRC there was no real physical difference in the "R" model engine . It was Just set up from factory with different pipes , so it had a different tune .
NOW that all said , why did your other engine send a piston out for a walk? Was there another issue ? Or could you have a hot tune and a tank of bad gas ? Previous owner was poor about maintenance ? Bad luck ?
If there is any chance of the tune being the cause then load another and find a good dyno guy to make it right for your setup.
TL/DR : If it starts and runs you are good to grip it and rip it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dieselgeek,
Thx for your detailed reply. To answer your questions: the engine had all the same harnesses and connectors. Well all but one. There was one sensor in the old engine which was a blank/dummy in the new one. It was situated in the engine casing above the waterpump. I transferred it without problems. Engine fired right up. No codes. Runs as normal. So no problems so far. The tune that was installed was the twin arrow tune for this bike so I don’t think that’s the problem either. I wrote it off to bad luck 😒. maintenance was done a few weeks before and also installed the kn filter then.
I don’t know man. I bought the bike about 1,5 yrs ago. Don’t know if the valves have been checked. Is it possible that not enough clearance could be the cause?
Anyway. Good to know that the tune is ECU related and not engine and that the engines are practically the same.
Thx!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts