Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. looking at getting one of these for daily commuting to work in cold weather. which one is the most beneficial and best constructed? are both of these easily removed? thanks, keith

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
What kind of Givi, they make about 6 different windscreens that fit. I had the A210. It lasted 5 minutes then came off. Looked great, build quality was great but for me, 6'4" I was getting pummeled by the wind coming off of it.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I can't help you with that question, but the wind pummeling thing happens to me too. I put on the Triumph Summer screen last fall and I right off didn't like it. I'm 6 ft. My head was getting pushed around, but the blast was off of my chest. Then winter came. This spring it felt better. Once things warm up nice, I plan to take it off for a while, just to feel that flow of smooth air. A little taller, 2-3 inches would make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have tried 3 versions of screen/bikini fairing on mine. The cheapo bikini fairing offered only a little wind protection, but looked great. Went to a fly-screen and found a lot of head buffeting. Then tried a 15" tall national-cycle style that offered good wind protection but lots of wind noise and some head buffet.
I finally gave up on steering mounted shields when I got hit with a desert cross wind while doing around 85mph with the tall shield. Almost tank slapped it to the ground it buffeted so bad. I came to the conclusion that here where we get 30-40mph gusts all the time, fork mounted shields suck. I had the same problem with my 750lb. V-Star.
This is just my opinion for the environment that I ride in. I often thought that a good steering dampner would resolve handling issues, but never found a shield that I liked enough to go to that expense.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
So Derby Boy...is riding without any screen a better riding experience? Cal did you find a shorty screen that worked for your tall frame?
Thanks,
George...considering a flyscreen but not if it creates excessive head buffeting. I am a bit over 6' tall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have no experience with Givi, but I installed a Dart flyscreen two weeks ago I found it performed as many other have reported. I'm 5'8", and it does a nice job cutting the wind blast to the chest. I've noticed this makes cold morning commutes more comfortable. The airstream that hits my helmut is pretty smooth. There's some turbulent air a little below my chin that's not bothersome. Overall, I'd say there's little if any downside.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, i am thinking maybe i should just go with the dart flyscreen. i am not really that thrilled with putting any kind of screen on the bonnie, but cold morning commutes would be much more enjoyable with at least something to take the wind off the chest. i use a scorpion full-face helmet so i am not so concerned with head buffetting as the wind on my chest. is the build quality and ease of installation better with the dart over the givi?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Again, no experience with Givi, but Dart materials and hardware quality are pretty good. Installation was fast and easy. If you're wearing a full face helmet I think the Dart will work well for you.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Cal did you find a shorty screen that worked for your tall frame?
Yep my little headlight cowl and its small flyscreen works great. No buffeting and the air is directed somewhere that doesnt bug me. I did a 400km ride with all sorts of wind and it was great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:D

I am 6'2" and find the Dart to be excellent in keeping the wind off my chest. The air directed on my head is "clean" and I notice no head buffeting and not much noise. I like it alot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My wife's got a DART on her Bonnie..I'm currently windshield-less, but I notice a pretty big difference when I hop on her bike.
Especially in the chest area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife's got a DART on her Bonnie..I'm currently windshield-less, but I notice a pretty big difference when I hop on her bike.
Especially in the chest area.
Yeah, I noticed a big difference between me and my wife in the chest area too! ;)

Sorry - I couldn't resist!

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I tried that Givi screen myself, didn't like it. I now have the Triumph flyscreen and it works perfect for me. I get air right around my shoulders, the Give directed it to my head, just didn't work for me, bummed me out because I really likes the price, and the look wasn't too bad. I've come to love the Triumph flyscreen look now!:D

:hearts:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently brought a Dart screen, I am about 6ft and ride with an open face helmet I would recommend if you don’t like the look of a wind screen forget it, I am struggling to see a significant advantage in wind reduction with the Dart in addition the screen supports rest directly on the headlight brackets causing the paint to chip off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
:D

I am 6'2" and find the Dart to be excellent in keeping the wind off my chest. The air directed on my head is "clean" and I notice no head buffeting and not much noise. I like it alot.
I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam and have the same experience with the Dart flyscreen. No chest whack and no helmet buffeting. I wear ear plugs, so noise is a non-issue, except from my Norman Hyde togas. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Givi on my FJR and a Givi A210 on my '09 Bonnie. The A210 does not fit down around the headlight like I expected but the wind blast is not an issue for me at about 5'11". It does relieve the pressure on my chest but since the temps are now at 99 here, I think the screen will come off till fall/winter. And then I'll ride the FJR anyway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts