Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really a multipart question;

I have a legend and find the exhaust note to be excessively tame. But I don't like to mess with stuff that is working well so was thinking of trying something more radical while keeping my current exhaust available for refit.

Which headers on the TB, TBS and TT are interchange, if any?
Is there a benefit between 3 into 1 or 3 into 2? If so, is one better?

Can we use the headers off of a 900 sprint or speed triple (or a kawasaki triple)? They total their bikes more so more bits are available.

For all this stuff, really only concerned with what is doable (or really what is done) and how much altering it takes.

And that final, dreadful question. Will I gain anything other than noise? 100mpg and 20 extra hp and tires that never go flat?

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
The early T3 Sprint/Trophy/Speed Triple/Daytona headers will fit. (Probably your best bet)
There is interference with the water pipe, so that needs to be changed also. Some have noted some interference with the foot peg/shifter mechanism.

There are only minor differences between TBird/Adventurer/Legend headers. The 98/99 TBS header has it's own set of challenges, but with a little modification can fit the Legend. But your Fuel cell would have to go o the other side of the bike.

The 2000 and up TBS header has a balance pipe that runs under the engine. That will fowl on the centerstand if you have one.

I've fitted a '97 Speed Triple (885 FI engine) on my TBS, but that required more modification that I wanted to do. Water pipe ultimately had to be modified, even the one from a Trophy would not clear enough in the long run. Extended the header 1" where it bolts to the head, and bent the pipe to clear the rear brake pedal. It would probably fit the Legend at the brake pedal because of the different location. Plus fabricate a mid pipe and find some muffler to work.

Thunderbike, D&D, Mecatwin are some companies that make aftermarket solutions.

3 into one creates better exhaust gas scavenging. How that translates to power and gas mileage?? your guess is as good as mine. The 3 into 3 and three into one sure do sound Kewl though!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Denny, that pretty much covered it.

I went back through all the posts from 2004 to present on headers and checked the links for all the manufacturers; it would seem that all the 3 into 1 headers that are going to made for the 885/900 motor have been made and are no longer in production, are no longer listed in the various manufacturers' catalogs though they may have a leftover here and there. Okay, fair is fair, I wasn't going to buy anything new anyhow, its just not my way. We should still have a steady supply of used parts from all those sporting sister bikes.

with a bit of patience ( which I'm not to keen on) I'll find a good deal on a header.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Which ever way you go about it, there is going to be some 'custom' fitting work to be done. Usually there are 2 or 3 knock on problems associated with it.

I used Tiger headers & balance pipe off ebay.
The water pump pipe needed changing.
I shortened the H section balance pipe by about 1.5" for clearance on the centrestand.

I also modified the centre stand for clearance on the Raygun silencers, but that is really a seperate issue.

Nige. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics.

'97 Speed Triple header and Custom made mid pipe.
Muffler compliments of Don the Tiger Man "noivson".

I only need to weld the spring hooks on the midpipe, then off to the polisher. My first attempt at an exhaust pipe. I won't tell you about any of the mistakes.:D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi denny
Just buy (on eBay) similar S3 headers for my TBS, than yours.(I´m still waiting for package)
Must you even change water pipe with this headers ?

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
I am lucky to have acces to a pretty good metalworking shop.
Although schedules permits me to use it only on Monday afternoons.
I'll take my camera with me next time and get some better pics for you. You'll need access to a Lathe to make the 1" extensions for the header. I also had to bend the header pipe so that It will clear the brake pedal. Not exactly easy mods, cause the Stainless is difficult to bend without damaging something. I cut out all of the pieces for the mid pipe and my friend did the TIG welding for that and he also did the welding on the water pipe, and the header extensions. I can't wait for some good weather so I can sort out the jetting to match the mods.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Here's some detail pics for Ronkeli in particular. Sorry It's taken me so long. We've had bad weather and I've had the flu, so I missed some Mondays when i could have worked on this. I brought it home today.

First modification to the header is adding 1" onto the header where it meets the Cylinder Head. It looks like this...

In order to clear the TBS brake pedal I also had to bend the header pipe. The discolored area is where I bent it. It would probably clear the brake pedal on the other Classic Triples. The interference is where the pedal connects to the master cylinder.

The Stock Waterpipe does not work, And even a Trophy water pipe had some clearance problems. In the beginning I thought the waterpipe would be OK, but in the end, NOPE! Here's a pic of the modified Trophy water pipe.

And it's now ready to go for a good cleaning and polish.
And in the meantime I've located some correctly sized Automotive studs to replace the threaded rod I used during the fitting process.

And I probably reduced the weight of the bike by around 25 or 30 pounds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
first, THANKS FOR DENNY informative pics and advices
Also do that swap my TBS, here is a results when I finally got that job end. I do that slightly different like Denny for reason that I would not use those front end lenghtenings.

I think that pictures tell to you much more than my bad english.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Didn't want to open a new thread for such a similar question so...

Will 2000 legend headers work on my 96 tbird? it seems like they would, but how much stuff would I have to change and how difficult would it be?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Straight swap, identical I think. Can't recall any issue putting Legend headers on a 98 Tbird.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks mike. Just ordered some off of eBay. I bought my bike and it had the fiberglass wrap around it and I was scared to just take it off

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
First modification to the header is adding 1" onto the header where it meets the Cylinder Head. It looks like this...

In order to clear the TBS brake pedal I also had to bend the header pipe. The discolored area is where I bent it. It would probably clear the brake pedal on the other Classic Triples. The interference is where the pedal connects to the master cylinder.

The Stock Waterpipe does not work, And even a Trophy water pipe had some clearance problems. In the beginning I thought the waterpipe would be OK, but in the end, NOPE! Here's a pic of the modified Trophy water pipe.

And it's now ready to go for a good cleaning and polish.
And in the meantime I've located some correctly sized Automotive studs to replace the threaded rod I used during the fitting process.

And I probably reduced the weight of the bike by around 25 or 30 pounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts