Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
30,796 Posts
Hello swedishfishdude!

I think you are quite new to the site? Welcome!

I would encourage you to try the search function, as there are a lot of threads / posts on this, many good discussions. Here is a link to a recent discussion which has some good points on it.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/83500-switching-to-dino-from-synthetic.html

But welcome, and be reassured - people love talking oil and filters!

I use mobil 1 racing 4T in my bonnie.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Dude,

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 fully sync. About $8 a qt at Advance Auto.

My 05 T-100 has 13k miles and still runs like brand new. Use a Purolator filter, the same one that fits a 07 Subaru Forester (I can't remember the number).

The whole oil change for less than $40.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Welcome!!

Another oil thread!! Amzoil 20/50 MC oil & NAPA Gold 1358 filter. The filters are all the cop bikes use- good enuff for them me too! I get the Co discount as well $6. On oil- keep playin. You will settle in on one that works for you!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll wade in here.

My personal poison is Rotella synthetic and WIX filter.

on my Harley, I run Amsoil and WIX filter.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Fuchs

Silkolene Comp4 10W-40. synthetic

would prefer a heavier grade, but as we are going into winter downunder this will do for now. will go to a 20W-50 in about 10,000Kms as we are heading into summer.
Triumph oil filter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
G'day.

Can get warm down here in Ozland...so next time I may go full synth 20W/50 instead of the manuals spec 15W50

5W/40 sounds thin, but Sweatmachine knows what he is doing....but thought it got warm in Texas....Sweatmachine, just curious to your explaination on why ya go with this oil?

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
+1 on the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 fully sync.I didnt beleave it I broke my motor in on dino 20w50 .When i changed to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 fully sync the valve train was much less noisy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mobil 1, 4T racing synth 20w-50 is what I use in the heat of Tx and change at every 5,000mi so its easy to remember when I did it last.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mobil 1 VTwin 20W-50 and official Triumph filters.

Dealer told me that Triumph has warranted engines which were out of warranty so long as Triumph filters were used and records kept of changes. May not get it every time but cheap peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
5W/40 sounds thin, but Sweatmachine knows what he is doing....but thought it got warm in Texas....Sweatmachine, just curious to your explaination on why ya go with this oil?

Cheers.
it's still 40wt oil. The 5w is only its cold viscosity. Once it's up to operating temp 40wt is 40wt.

I use this oil because it's cheap, $16 a gallon for full synthetic, and it's also a very good oil, used by MANY riders and racers.

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3081&page=1#Post3081

·
Registered
587 Posts
it's still 40wt oil. The 5w is only its cold viscosity. Once it's up to operating temp 40wt is 40wt.

I use this oil because it's cheap, $16 a gallon for full synthetic, and it's also a very good oil, used by MANY riders and racers.

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3081&page=1#Post3081
I switched to Rotella Synth this weekend. The bike actually starts up without the choke now... kinda weird... and great. I was using the Mobile 1 synth which is great as well.

However. I just got an all time record for distance until reserve. The Rotella is doing something right.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil (expensive).

Purolator Pure One 14612 filter (not expensive).

·
Registered
105 Posts
How much difference do you think the ambient temperature makes compared to engine / gearbox temperature? Besides, as Sweat says, it's still 40W. Higher viscosity is not necessarily better if your bike was not designed to require the viscosity. You might not be getting enough of a film if the oil can't flow where it's needed. In particular, I wouldn't go to higher viscosity on the low end (i.e. 20w instead of 15w or 10w, etc) since initial lubrication at cold starup is critical (one of the virtues of synthetic).

G'day.

Can get warm down here in Ozland...so next time I may go full synth 20W/50 instead of the manuals spec 15W50

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.