Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that the boys at Triumph UK filter through these forums on occasion (or at least I'd hope they do)..

The coolant reservoir is a joke. You can't see through it because the plastic's too dark, and access to phisically check it is painful. A dipstick in the form of a cable tie is the way to go, but simply using a clear or opaque plastic would have made the job so easy... and they want you to check it regularly???

Muz

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
It's easier to check than the one on my old Ninja! On that, you had to take the side panel off to check the level!
Here's my trick to checking coolant level: Use a flashlight, and hold it up against the side of the reservoir. That will light it up enough to easily see the coolant level! Brilliant! :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Seat removal (it's two bolts on something that you rarely remove....common)

Battery removal (another easy thing to do that gets huge complaints)

and now the coolant tank....

You guys looking for things to worry about?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
There are several things that are designed poorly

coolant bottle color choice
seat bolt issue
no under seat storage
headlights
relay rubber holders...are garbage.
on the 2005-2008 rectifier location...they finally remounted in direct airflow finally

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think it is the same dummy that made the best motorcycle I personally have ever ridden. I think designed to ride not to maintain on a very often basis. I think all of these things are easy to deal with over a bit of time. They are not hard or really problematic, just takes a bit of time to access. I thought things were off occasionally but my wife has a 01 VFR they have things hidden away better than the triumph so harder to inspect stuff. Also I have a friend with a Ducati ST2 and the triumph is a dream to work on compared to that. So if you don't like the triumph for these little inconveniences buy something else.. Why are people so whiny?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm sure that the boys at Triumph UK filter through these forums on occasion (or at least I'd hope they do)..

The coolant reservoir is a joke. You can't see through it because the plastic's too dark, and access to phisically check it is painful. A dipstick in the form of a cable tie is the way to go, but simply using a clear or opaque plastic would have made the job so easy... and they want you to check it regularly???

Muz

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

·
Registered
542 Posts
What I want to know is when is Triumph going to get rid of the under tail exhaust and drop the back end to a sensible height for the wife to get on. I might be inclined to change up then. The bike itself is terrific and I would love one apart from the fact it is not pillion friendly so its no go for me yet.

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
There are several things that are designed poorly

coolant bottle color choice
seat bolt issue
no under seat storage
headlights
relay rubber holders...are garbage.
on the 2005-2008 rectifier location...they finally remounted in direct airflow finally
Although none of these points are new here that is an interesting list ricster has and why is it interesting?

Simply because on the 955's these ones were not an issue and were part of the new 1050 design;

seat bolt issue 955's have key seat removal
no under seat storage 955's have quite a bit of space here
headlights 955 headlights although not the best did not have the beam spread issue

relay rubber holders...are garbage. This was not an issue on all 955's on my '04 my rubbers are still all ok

on the 2005-2008 rectifier location...they finally remounted in direct airflow finally As far as I am aware this was not an issue on the 955's

Don't get me wrong I like the 1050 Sprints but there were some things they had right that they did a backward step on apparently when the changed to the 1050 frame etc.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
What I want to know is when is Triumph going to get rid of the under tail exhaust and drop the back end to a sensible height for the wife to get on. I might be inclined to change up then. The bike itself is terrific and I would love one apart from the fact it is not pillion friendly so its no go for me yet.
I hope newer.
Riding with pillion sucks anway.

Get two bikes or Goldwing...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Compared to my GSXR 750 K4 the dip beams are an absolute doddle to get to.
Anything involving bulb changing or adjusting also involved a lot of swearing and a loss of blood.
Ok the high beam is a PITA but at least the dips are accessible without leaving your knuckles stuck to the cockpit frame.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I think it is the same dummy that made the best motorcycle I personally have ever ridden. I think designed to ride not to maintain on a very often basis. I think all of these things are easy to deal with over a bit of time. They are not hard or really problematic, just takes a bit of time to access. I thought things were off occasionally but my wife has a 01 VFR they have things hidden away better than the triumph so harder to inspect stuff. Also I have a friend with a Ducati ST2 and the triumph is a dream to work on compared to that. So if you don't like the triumph for these little inconveniences buy something else.. Why are people so whiny?

Thank you Dr. Triumph!! I hope you are going to come to Nelson this year in July.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here's my whinges about crashworthiness in design

If you drop your bike on the right side the relays and the regulator get crunched and render your motorcycle inoperable.

If you drop it on the left side the alternator cover gets crunched misaligning the stator with the rotor and trashing both. My mate was quoted $2500 to have stator, rotor and engine cover replaced after a very minor off.

Most crash knobs I have seen (with the possible exception of R&G)will break the engine mounts and frame mounts in the event of a fall because they have to stick out so far and there are bugger all good mounting points for them. I have seen this happen on a Speed Triple because there are stuff all good locations to mount crash knobs

·
Registered
164 Posts
So.........most of you guys would prefer Triumph to stop making one of their most successful selling (class leading) bikes, or atleast make huge changes, and make what exactly?

How can you winge about underseat storage when the bike is designed with an underseat exhaust? And the seat is held on with bolts why?...... oh yes, that would be because it has an underseat exhaust and feck all storage space.
As for not being pillion friendly, try something like a speed triple, then you'll see!
Crashworthiness....? God your optimistic aren't you?!

Jeez, get out and ride more! It's fantastic bike! It's made for ridin' not whingin'.

·
Registered
332 Posts
whinge observation

I say old chaps...

as a pseudo-Pommie (Northern-Irish, migration via a long spell in England) migrant to Oz of twenty years, I merely wish to point out that there have been at least two aussie whinges on this thread, including the originator. The counteractions have been from Poms, Canucks and Yanks - this must be a sort of record. :p

for my part when I had Sarah (1050ST) I also found the seat a PITA, despite T-handle Allen key spanners and bending the clips. One side rarely co-operated. I used Powerbronze crash-bungs that were never put to the test.

re the comment re Duke ST2 maintenance, I almost broke my hand on my ST3 (Désirée :p) when removing the footpeg bolt and whacking my hand on the alloy heel-guard. I do believe Triumphs are easier.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts